Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Rothko wrote: »
    I've seen the same angry comments directed at people like Michael McIntyre (I'm not a fan btw). It's just that I've noticed that there seems to be a certain level of vitriol reserved for comedians, more so than for entertainers in other fields.

He got some horrible abuse (from fellow comedians) at the British Comedy Awards a few years ago, for having the sheer audacity to win awards as a result of being popular with the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rothko wrote: »
    I've seen the same angry comments directed at people like Michael McIntyre (I'm not a fan btw). It's just that I've noticed that there seems to be a certain level of vitriol reserved for comedians, more so than for entertainers in other fields.

He, bad as some people might think he is sells out massive arenas, has big viewing figures and sells huge amounts of DVD's so evidence is vast amounts of people do like him and so state run BBC is then correct in showing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Birneybau wrote: »
    I fcuking despise Ed Sheeran and think he's a stain on modern music.

There's also always been a ton of material by comedians taking the pee out of musicians. Ed Byrne and his Alanis Morrissette routine (he was accurate-back in the days he tried), I saw another comic saying how Macy Gray sounded like Marge Simpson when she sang (she really had a short career-ruined it via drugs), someone else had material on how 4 non blondes 'Hey, what's going on' is like the song written by someone with Alzheimers.

There's plenty of people who hate musicians-look at the celebration when Taylor Swift was discovered to have been lying about an exchange with Kanye, the internet celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Bit nasty and cowardly, going on Twitter to anonymously tell her.

Maybe

But I think mediocre eejits like her (Jason Byrne should be the winner by the way) should be ribbed. Like the razzies in America for crap films.

I would pay money to see Jason Byrne presented with an award for being oh something like Crappest comedian of the last decade for example. Just to see Smug look rubbed off his face.

Truth is say few comedians know of boards.ie and know many folk roast them on it. Comes with the terroitory of being a comedian.

By the way another crap Irish comedian. Aidan Killian.

I kid you not he grew hair long on one side and bald on the other to try and represent Jesus and Buddha at once. He thought this was profound and intelligent and would badger audiences about his "spiritual nature" incessantly in a very vain preachy way with a load of made up stories one was owning property all over Anerica and giving it away.

Chap was clearly mentally ill and I hope he the got help he needed.

Maybe

But I think mediocre eejits like her (Jason Byrne should be the winner by the way) should be ribbed. Like the razzies in America for crap films.

I would pay money to see Jason Byrne presented with an award for being oh something like Crappest comedian of the last decade for example. Just to see Smug look rubbed off his face.

Truth is say few comedians know of boards.ie and know many folk roast them on it. Comes with the terroitory of being a comedian.

By the way another crap Irish comedian. Aidan Killian.

I kid you not he grew hair long on one side and bald on the other to try and represent Jesus and Buddha at once. He thought this was profound and intelligent and would badger audiences about his "spiritual nature" incessantly in a very vain preachy way with a load of made up stories one was owning property all over Anerica and giving it away.

Chap was clearly mentally ill and I hope he the got help he needed.

God-I googled him. He's still doing 'comedy'-and he's trying so hard to be Russell Brand it's painful.
    I guarantee Spittle and co love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

He, bad as some people might think he is sells out massive arenas, has big viewing figures and sells huge amounts of DVD's so evidence is vast amounts of people do like him and so state run BBC is then correct in showing him.

He’s the Ed Sheeran of comedy ... comedy for the average person who wouldn’t watch regularly or a comedy aficionado ... BBC tends to have a select few comedians who they put on all their comedy panel shows who don’t rock the boat ... I find him irritating and a bit pc from watching him on his shows/panel shows

He’s the Ed Sheeran of comedy ... comedy for the average person who wouldn’t watch regularly or a comedy aficionado ... BBC tends to have a select few comedians who they put on all their comedy panel shows who don’t rock the boat ... I find him irritating and a bit pc from watching him on his shows/panel shows

I've never been a fan, but saw a few of his routines. Ever since he did Britain's Got Talent (as a judge), I've never wanted to know the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

God-I googled him. He's still doing 'comedy'-and he's trying so hard to be Russell Brand it's painful.
    I guarantee Spittle and co love him.

The Jesus v Buddha thing (which he gave away tickets for as was being filmed wanted a packed audience see) hes going on and on and on and on and on and on and on about love and peace.

All the spiritual/Jesus love talk was an angle as he couldnt make a break on being funny so went for the messiah thing.He went around in a white robe with long hair for a while in his bare feet , in Dublin!. No joke pics/videos online!. Knew him remotely in Dublin and enough to know his true colours. A more vain, bitter,judgemental, spiteful, egotistical self indulgent person you couldnt meet.

Say Brand is the the same. All that love they talk about is utter utter crap. Sickening it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You've left out irelands unfunniest comedian jarlath Regan, also if a drunk aiden bishop abandons his station at the door of the international buckle up for some mortification.... He's actually posted a lot of his vids on YouTube lately for some reason...

Well that's it in a nutshell, the less you rock the boat the bigger the arenas :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

You've left out irelands unfunniest comedian jarlath Regan, also if a drunk aiden bishop abandons his station at the door of the international buckle up for some mortification.... He's actually posted a lot of his vids on YouTube lately for some reason...

JR has a very punchable face.

app-jarlath-regan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

JR has a very punchable face.

app-jarlath-regan.jpg

feminist comedian...thatll be a laugh...not

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Muff Richardson II

feminist comedian...thatll be a laugh...not

I heard his podcasts Irish man abroad, thought they were ansolute muck. Interview abilities which would leave Ryan tubridy and darcy blush yet the adulation it received was mystifying...then I heard he was a comedian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jarlath Regan has stumbled on a decent podcast format though, he's a poor comedian.
    A bit like Richard Herring really

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jarlath Regan has stumbled on a decent podcast format though, he's a poor comedian.
    A bit like Richard Herring really

He supported a decent comedian once... Ruined my night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Where's Oliver Callan or Mario Rosenstock in this poll? I find both to be smug and just as funny as cancer, or 'The Funnies' in The Phoenix.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any time I watched Irish Pictorial Weekly I always enjoyed it.

I guess it was funny because it was mostly true (the sketch above as an example).
    It avoid the political issues of the time. Similar UK productions would have had a field day.

Incredibly safe and no risk compared to Hall's Pictorial Weekly or Scrap Saturday. Our liable laws don't help but still...

We need something similar to BBC Northern Ireland's The Blame Game.

BTW
    It's hard to believe Yes Minister is nearly 40 years old, and still one of the best guides to how government and civil service interact.

have a break from the unfunny with this classic......

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Where's Oliver Callan or Mario Rosenstock in this poll? I find both to be smug and just as funny as cancer, or 'The Funnies' in The Phoenix.

Mario Rosenstock was funny for about five minutes but outstayed his welcome by rehashing the same small pool of impressions over and over again. Callan was never funny.

Mario Rosenstock was funny for about five minutes but outstayed his welcome by rehashing the same small pool of impressions over and over again. Callan was never funny.

credit where its due....callans ray darcy contains enough genuine spite, hatred and humour to be actually quite funny

• Advertisement

The Jesus v Buddha thing (which he gave away tickets for as was being filmed wanted a packed audience see) hes going on and on and on and on and on and on and on about love and peace.

All the spiritual/Jesus love talk was an angle as he couldnt make a break on being funny so went for the messiah thing.He went around in a white robe with long hair for a while in his bare feet , in Dublin!. No joke pics/videos online!. Knew him remotely in Dublin and enough to know his true colours. A more vain, bitter,judgemental, spiteful, egotistical self indulgent person you couldnt meet.

Say Brand is the the same. All that love they talk about is utter utter crap. Sickening it really is.

I'm gonna take your expertise on this-you sound like you know him personally. (Genuine acknowledgement).

He may very well have had a bad drug trip, or a breakdown, or something cos he seems 'off' somehow. I imagine if a heckler heckled him, he would show his true colours and lose it.

Brand I've seen deal with hecklers and in a really intriguing way. The difference is Brand's kinda been in the crapper due to his addictions, so I imagine he's trying to spare others making the same mistakes as him-tho he can be a bit preachy at times. (He had an interesting analysis of Philip S. Hoffman-how he saw Hoffman talking about drugs, before his relapse, and how Hoffman clearly 'missed' the buzz. Brand noted that's dangerous, as an addict can relapse if they reminisce, positively, about that. He was right too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Callan was like those knock off adddidas branded gear you see on market stalls. A cheap flimsy failed imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I watched a rerun of Spittle's show on the rte player. My god.

It avoid the political issues of the time. Similar UK productions would have had a field day.

Incredibly safe and no risk compared to Hall's Pictorial Weekly or Scrap Saturday. Our liable laws don't help but still...

We need something similar to BBC Northern Ireland's The Blame Game.

BTW
    It's hard to believe Yes Minister is nearly 40 years old, and still one of the best guides to how government and civil service interact.

Brass Eye-don't forget Brass Eye. it absolutely ripped the piddle out of politics, news coverage-Chris Morris is a genius.

What intrigues me about him is how he never lost 'it'. Like, Ricky Gervais is a joke now-a bitter, failed comedian who's only known for blocking on twitter and spiteful shows. As well as a shambles of an interview with Gary Shandling where Gary eviscerated him.

Chris Morris on the other hand takes time out from writing, and then makes Four Lions. A comedy about Islamic terrorists...which managed to do a The Producers, and have everyone laughing at the insanity.

https://twitter.com/Jarlath/status/993244350485327874

I cringed in agony at this 'muppet'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don’t get Jarlath Regan at all. His comedy, and turned off the podcast a long time ago...

https://twitter.com/Jarlath/status/993244350485327874

I cringed in agony at this 'muppet'.

What was it? Think it's gone

What was it? Think it's gone

Ugh- of course he did.

He posted some 'pro-repeal' message, with an image of these two.

https://media.giphy.com/media/D9cvcN4N31uVO/giphy.gif

And then tried to make it look like a 'mna mna' na heireann kinda thing...

It was cringey, to say the least.

Ugh- of course he did.

He posted some 'pro-repeal' message, with an image of these two.

https://media.giphy.com/media/D9cvcN4N31uVO/giphy.gif

And then tried to make it look like a 'mna mna' na heireann kinda thing...

It was cringey, to say the least.

He seriously needs to be quiet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whats funny about Neil Delamere i will never know Pat Shortt and Brendan Grace are 2 other supposedly funny comedians who are painfully unfunny.

Advertisement