Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

With a name like "Jarlath" what do you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

So it's 3 women leading the pack. Is this pro-feminism, or 'oppression of the patriarchy' amid calls of 'Ghostbuster's was this century's Citzen Kane'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So it's 3 women leading the pack. Is this pro-feminism, or 'oppression of the patriarchy' amid calls of 'Ghostbuster's was this century's Citzen Kane'?

Jason Byrne isn’t a moth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jarlath Regan has stumbled on a decent podcast format though, he's a poor comedian.

It's the almost the exact same thing Ari Shaffir did about 3 years earlier, a comedian who was struggling hugely in comedy so went off and did a non comedic interview style podcast, which itself was just a spin on what Rogan (himself a limited comedian) and to a lesser extent Maron did a few years before again. It's a very well trodden path, he just Irished it up. Fair play to him, saw a gap in the market and made it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's the almost the exact same thing Ari Shaffir did about 3 years earlier, a comedian who was struggling hugely in comedy so went off and did a non comedic interview style podcast, which itself was just a spin on what Rogan (himself a limited comedian) and to a lesser extent Maron did a few years before again. It's a very well trodden path, he just Irished it up. Fair play to him, saw a gap in the market and made it work.

Very different to Maron though I think.

• Advertisement

Jason Byrne isn’t a moth.

He's honorary-cos he got himself neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've never seen Ms. Spittle's work. She must be woeful to have made such a negative impact in such a short space of time.

I've never seen Ms. Spittle's work. She must be woeful to have made such a negative impact in such a short space of time.

You are very lucky!!! Once something is seen, it cannot be unseen.

You are very lucky!!! Once something is seen, it cannot be unseen.

It's woeful-like, unbelievably woeful.
    She's got dirt on someone-has to. Her 'drama' was especially terrible. Sad thing is, there is good, genuine, well written comedies' and dramas being made in Ireland-it's just the people the media tell us are 'voices of our generation' are anything but. They're clueless to the actual 'Ireland' they claim to know inside out. Instead it's packed with stereotypes and cliches.

I was pleasantly surprised by Young Offenders-it featured diversity, and they were as flawed as the rest of us. That's something that's almost absent from good writing-well, that is to say, Virtue signalling writers won't write flawed minorities.

Despite all Spittle's virtue signalling, she just wrote a ton of hateful and spiteful people we were meant to like. And not a minority in sight.

It's woeful-like, unbelievably woeful.
    She's got dirt on someone-has to. Her 'drama' was especially terrible. Sad thing is, there is good, genuine, well written comedies' and dramas being made in Ireland-it's just the people the media tell us are 'voices of our generation' are anything but. They're clueless to the actual 'Ireland' they claim to know inside out. Instead it's packed with stereotypes and cliches.

I was pleasantly surprised by Young Offenders-it featured diversity, and they were as flawed as the rest of us. That's something that's almost absent from good writing-well, that is to say, Virtue signalling writers won't write flawed minorities.

Despite all Spittle's virtue signalling, she just wrote a ton of hateful and spiteful people we were meant to like. And not a minority in sight.

I didn’t like the YO, but it is a BBC show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ugh- of course he did.

He posted some 'pro-repeal' message, with an image of these two.

https://media.giphy.com/media/D9cvcN4N31uVO/giphy.gif

And then tried to make it look like a 'mna mna' na heireann kinda thing...

It was cringey, to say the least.
    Doing more harm than good to his 'cause' I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hadn't heard of her until this thread.

I looked her up and she wasn't as brutal as I'd expected.

I've seen far worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone on FB seen these memes by "Doireann The Don O'Neill"? I think shes a comedian or least considers herself one. All on the issue of Repeal. I'm pro Repeal but I think they're woefully unfunny and she comes across as a right head melter but I dislike "woke comedy" anyway despite being fairly left leaning.

31396354_1973673292652273_3879042744659738624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHP0C5D36zpb_K2ZpCvf140qVNHPvuQzOmGSfA36doukEeQRSSphuPxGPwRqK6bqrDyHuVN75NiAjwIUCdTA47-lQTgDqCle8WqrNkfKeBvhQ&oh=cfe36a0f89eb8bdb622dbfa44968cf82&oe=5B8C38CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Neil Delamere

I saw Neil Delamere on the late late a number of years ago. A dress maker was getting the better of him and he had to resort to the personal insult to save face.

How he ever gets booked is a mystery to me.

Anyone on FB seen these memes by "Doireann The Don O'Neill"? I think shes a comedian or least considers herself one. All on the issue of Repeal. I'm pro Repeal but I think they're woefully unfunny and she comes across as a right head melter but I dislike "woke comedy" anyway despite being fairly left leaning.

I had to remove that photo...I felt that a child with MS Paint could make a better version in ten minutes than a so-called grown woman did in how ever long that took her. i could feel a brain aneurysm coming on.

'Woke' comedy is always painfully unfunny-they think comedy shouldn't 'offend'.
    Never mind the best comedy ALWAYS offends someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

While flicking through the channels Sat night I inadvertently caught 30 secs of the travesty of a television show that is mrs browne. Host was giving out chocolate sweets to the audience. A woman in the front row declined. “Do you not eat chocolate?” The woman shook her head. “You’d never tell”, he said to a smattering of laughter from the typically moronic crowd.

I thought fat jokes went out with the death of Bernard Manning but fck no, still getting an outing on prime time bbc in the year 2018. And they’ll try to convince you that pc has killed “comedy”...

While flicking through the channels Sat night I inadvertently caught 30 secs of the travesty of a television show that is mrs browne. Host was giving out chocolate sweets to the audience. A woman in the front row declined. “Do you not eat chocolate?” The woman shook her head. “You’d never tell”, he said to a smattering of laughter from the typically moronic crowd.

I thought fat jokes went out with the death of Bernard Manning but fck no, still getting an outing on prime time bbc in the year 2018. And they’ll try to convince you that pc has killed “comedy”...

Owww....owww....that actually hurt my brain to read it.

You generally can only do fat jokes if you're making the joke about yourself like John Pinette used to do. Or if it's an animated show-like South Park or the Simpsons.
    Animation affords you a lot more leeway and lets you fly under the radar most times-live action doesn't.
    (Homer strangling Bart on The Simpsons is a long running gag-but do that in Live Action...you'd be banned from the TV).

O' Carroll has said he'll kill of Mrs Brown if the BBC end his show-hardly bloody likely, I think.
    He's someone who crafted one joke, which isn't even funny, and has been hammering away at it for nearly 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm fully pro-repeal as well, but there's a few like herself that are doing no-one any favours by using the Yes campaign as a vehicle to raise their personal profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Deirdre O'Kane a fail actress that "turned her hand" to comedy to be so unfunny as a comedian. The only reason she was getting work was there were no female comedians about.
    I will say she was good in Moone Boy but as a comedian she was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Deirdre O'Kane a fail actress that "turned her hand" to comedy to be so unfunny as a comedian. The only reason she was getting work was there were no female comedians about.

All true except the failed actress bit...

• Advertisement

All true except the failed actress bit...

She used to be funny-but then like all so-called 'woke' comedians, she became unfunny.

See also-Aisling Bea, Jarlath Regan, Maeve Higgins.

(I have no idea why Aisling calls herself 'Bea'-she's O'Sullivan).

I imagine many of them stayed quiet when Al Porter was going around molesting fellas-then 'acted shocked' when he was outed as a pervert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They all did. I'm sure they know of a lot worse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

She used to be funny-but then like all so-called 'woke' comedians, she became unfunny.

See also-Aisling Bea, Jarlath Regan, Maeve Higgins.

(I have no idea why Aisling calls herself 'Bea'-she's O'Sullivan).

I imagine many of them stayed quiet when Al Porter was going around molesting fellas-then 'acted shocked' when he was outed as a pervert.

In fairness doubt many of them were following him to the George every night.

In fairness doubt many of them were following him to the George every night.

It wasn't at the George-it was often at his shows, which were straight clubs or supposedly safe venues.

The guy's he groped were often there with their girlfriends, so not gay.

I recall aisling bea being funny and pleasant when she broke through in the UK, I'm hearing negatives every where lately was there a change in her routine or did ye ever like her?

I recall aisling bea being funny and pleasant when she broke through in the UK, I'm hearing negatives every where lately was there a change in her routine or did ye ever like her?

First time I saw her was on the Savage eye-she had a great impersonation of Grainne Seoige that was hilarious. She popped up in Dead Boss, which was terrible, but that not her writing.
    I saw her a few years ago on Russell Howard, and she was actually pretty good. Then she had a comedy team she did with Yasmine Akram...and that was bad, just unfunny and painful.

Then saw her on The Delivery Man, and Trollied-and she's really limited, and for a comedienne, lacks comic timing. After that I saw her on Live at the Apollo-and her 'new material' was pretty awful. It was the usual 'my mam tells me I'm fat' and nothing remotely unique or funny.
    She pops up as the token 'woman' on a lot of these panel shows in the UK, but then whines about 'pressure'...when she gets a lot of gigs by just showing up.

There are funny Irish comediennes-I used to dislike Eleanor Tiernan, but she has some legit comic talent and a lot of her material makes me laugh.
    Bea just...doesn't.

First time I saw her was on the Savage eye-she had a great impersonation of Grainne Seoige that was hilarious. She popped up in Dead Boss, which was terrible, but that not her writing.
    I saw her a few years ago on Russell Howard, and she was actually pretty good. Then she had a comedy team she did with Yasmine Akram...and that was bad, just unfunny and painful.

Then saw her on The Delivery Man, and Trollied-and she's really limited, and for a comedienne, lacks comic timing. After that I saw her on Live at the Apollo-and her 'new material' was pretty awful. It was the usual 'my mam tells me I'm fat' and nothing remotely unique or funny.
    She pops up as the token 'woman' on a lot of these panel shows in the UK, but then whines about 'pressure'...when she gets a lot of gigs by just showing up.

There are funny Irish comediennes-I used to dislike Eleanor Tiernan, but she has some legit comic talent and a lot of her material makes me laugh.
    Bea just...doesn't.

I like Eleanor.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    She was good in Paths to Freedom and Fergus's Wedding, but you're right, her stand up stinks.

She was good in Paths to Freedom and Fergus's Wedding, but you're right, her stand up stinks.

Fergus' Wedding was kind of a disaster, tbh. It picked up in the middle of it, but it wasn't very good.

Her and Pat Shortt were the only two good things I remember from it.

• Advertisement

Fergus' Wedding was kind of a disaster, tbh. It picked up in the middle of it, but it wasn't very good.

Her and Pat Shortt were the only two good things I remember from it.
    Todd Unctious was good in it. The scene where he shares a bed with Fergus after overdoing it on the coleslaw in particular :D

Advertisement