Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

First time I saw her was on the Savage eye-she had a great impersonation of Grainne Seoige that was hilarious. She popped up in Dead Boss, which was terrible, but that not her writing.
    I saw her a few years ago on Russell Howard, and she was actually pretty good. Then she had a comedy team she did with Yasmine Akram...and that was bad, just unfunny and painful.

Then saw her on The Delivery Man, and Trollied-and she's really limited, and for a comedienne, lacks comic timing. After that I saw her on Live at the Apollo-and her 'new material' was pretty awful. It was the usual 'my mam tells me I'm fat' and nothing remotely unique or funny.
    She pops up as the token 'woman' on a lot of these panel shows in the UK, but then whines about 'pressure'...when she gets a lot of gigs by just showing up.

There are funny Irish comediennes-I used to dislike Eleanor Tiernan, but she has some legit comic talent and a lot of her material makes me laugh.
    Bea just...doesn't.

She's gone down the chatshow route, similar to Katherine Ryan, completely overexposed as the chat shows may as well be a scripted show fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

razorblunt wrote: »
    She's gone down the chatshow route, similar to Katherine Ryan, completely overexposed as the chat shows may as well be a scripted show fully.

And you'd forget she was a comedian, tbh. She's the token female on most shows-never makes a joke, just sits there.

Most other comics, women I mean, do some material...not her tho.

Even Katharine Ryan can make a joke. Her material can be savage. Bea is just average and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Just saw that Jason Byrne lad on Late Late Show.

Yer man that was on after him with the exit polls was funnier.

Just saw that Jason Byrne lad on Late Late Show.

Yer man that was on after him with the exit polls was funnier.

Someone else could have walked on and said 'I'm terminal-I've weeks to live' and been funnier than Jason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Weepsie wrote:
    Not comedy related, but she wrote a very good article about her dad's death ( he committed suicide) in the guardian last year.

I notice a lot of these "woke" comedians rely on gaining approval by the general public by pushing their off-screen lives. A bit like Jarlath Regan and his organ donation (noble) experience and his ultra-feminist slant on things. Bea is a bit like that herself. Amy Schumer is another one. Russell Howard.....I could probably go on for some time. Basically they are trying to find an audience and they'll show up as they've got some sort of affinity to them, not their act.

It's a bit like Alison Spittle, who I assume has an audience based 90% on the fact that she's vocal on the whole Repeal the 8th thing. I guarantee the bulk of her audience are wearing the jumpers while she's on.

Personally what I'm looking for from a comedian is to make jokes and make me laugh. I'm not looking to know any of their private lives and in most cases I largely don't care who and what they vote for (in some cases it is intrinsic to their act but i view this as a rarity ideally).

Frequently the acts aren't even about jokes anymore. The range of tolerance for jokes seems to be narrowing too, and what's worse is that some of this is coming from people who call themselves comedians. Recent examples of this would be the guy who called out Apu as being problematic or anything on BBC, particularly the Mash report.....tripe.

I'd rather a million Jason Byrnes and Brendan Graces than any of these comedians who write Guardian articles on the side about how Friends was such an offensive show. Almost nothing is funny anymore.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Saw Bea do support for someone last year and thoughts half it was good, half it not so much.

Not comedy related, but she wrote a very good article about her dad's death ( he committed suicide) in the guardian last year.

That's all well and good-but it's not comedy, is it? Many people write really well, but they don't also claim to be comedians.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I notice a lot of these "woke" comedians rely on gaining approval by the general public by pushing their off-screen lives. A bit like Jarlath Regan and his organ donation (noble) experience and his ultra-feminist slant on things. Bea is a bit like that herself. Amy Schumer is another one. Russell Howard.....I could probably go on for some time. Basically they are trying to find an audience and they'll show up as they've got some sort of affinity to them, not their act.

It's a bit like Alison Spittle, who I assume has an audience based 90% on the fact that she's vocal on the whole Repeal the 8th thing. I guarantee the bulk of her audience are wearing the jumpers while she's on.

Personally what I'm looking for from a comedian is to make jokes and make me laugh. I'm not looking to know any of their private lives and in most cases I largely don't care who and what they vote for (in some cases it is intrinsic to their act but i view this as a rarity ideally).

Frequently the acts aren't even about jokes anymore. The range of tolerance for jokes seems to be narrowing too, and what's worse is that some of this is coming from people who call themselves comedians. Recent examples of this would be the guy who called out Apu as being problematic or anything on BBC, particularly the Mash report.....tripe.

I'd rather a million Jason Byrnes and Brendan Graces than any of these comedians who write Guardian articles on the side about how Friends was such an offensive show. Almost nothing is funny anymore.

Russell Howard can still make a joke...

I think even Byrne thinks he's woke.

Matt Groening dismissed the criticism of Apu as 'some people are offended for the sake of being offended'-he didn't take much notice of it.

The backlash against Friends is ridiculous tbh-it still gets major ratings, even now-so nobody's paying attention to those people. Offensive comedy sells-even Louis CK's comedy was doing really well...despite his predilections.

'Offense' is a loaded term-mainly because everyone takes offense to something that another finds inconsequential.
    Yet 'forward thinking' and 'progressive' shows like Sex and the City did more damage than Friends ever could. Many women believed they were benefitting from the lifestyle portrayed in the show-and then found that lifestyle was vacuous and empty. Similar to the show.

When a really offensive, hilarious movie comes out-the people don't listen to the 'I'm offended' crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Apu thing was pathetic. Apu had an accent, an Indian accent, that's about it. He was portrayed as someone who owned his own business, his own home, had a wife and kids. He was a success.

Of course that's overlooked. The guy who brought it up was simply looking for pats on the back and attention, just like every single person who pretends to be offended by something so people will think they are a good person. They usually aren't good people, just self obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭RayCon

I hadn't voted in the poll above until I saw Jason Byrne on the Late Late Show last night .... christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

you missed mario rosenstock - holy crap how in the name of anything has he made money with the crap he spits out.... makes me want to cut my ears off with a spoon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

She used to be funny-but then like all so-called 'woke' comedians, she became unfunny.

See also-Aisling Bea, Jarlath Regan, Maeve Higgins.

(I have no idea why Aisling calls herself 'Bea'-she's O'Sullivan).

I imagine many of them stayed quiet when Al Porter was going around molesting fellas-then 'acted shocked' when he was outed as a pervert.

Add Tara Flynn to the list. She was never funny, something I think she knows herself as shes more or less given up comedy at this stage.

Add Tara Flynn to the list. She was never funny, something I think she knows herself as shes more or less given up comedy at this stage.

It took her a damn long time to realise she wasn't funny.

The deafening silence at her gigs should have been a hint.

Wonder what she's gonna do now that abortion has been voted in?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Wonder what she's gonna do now that abortion has been voted in?

Jim Jeffries sees to be in agreement with ya :D

neirbloom wrote: »
    Jim Jeffries sees to be in agreement with ya :D

I'd rather punch my face repeatedly then be in the same room as Jim Jeffries.

He's acting all pious when he, admittedly, got up to some creepy and Weinstein like antics not too long ago. It was in his standup, for one.

And how irritating as hell does Tara come across in that VT? She's doing the usual feminist crap of 'correcting his jokes'-which is her way of trying to stop him from telling them...

God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd rather punch my face repeatedly then be in the same room as Jim Jeffries.

He's acting all pious when he, admittedly, got up to some creepy and Weinstein like antics not too long ago. It was in his standup, for one.

And how irritating as hell does Tara come across in that VT? She's doing the usual feminist crap of 'correcting his jokes'-which is her way of trying to stop him from telling them...

God.

Jim is one of the best comedians of the last 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pity he’s an Israeli-apartheid loving scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

He really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Jim Jeffries was seperated at birth with Joe Mangel from Neighbours. I thought they were the same person at first.

Pity he’s an Israeli-apartheid loving scumbag.

There's only one criteria... Is he unfunny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There's only one criteria... Is he unfunny?

I’d reread the thread title buddy, there’s 2 criteria.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even put Jeffries in the list of 'Best comedians of the last 15 years to come out of Australia'.

If you had said Steve Hughes, I'd have agreed with you-but Jeffries...nah, he's like an Aussie Dane Cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Jeffries seems to have gotten progressively worse. Particularly when he settled in the US.

Jeffries seems to have gotten progressively worse. Particularly when he settled in the US.

He's playing to the 'Woke' audience-which Comedy Central is trying to cave to as well. Samantha Bee is insufferable-Hillary lost, get over it woman. She's a harpy, as well.
    I just find Jefferies has all the qualities I hate in a person, not just a comedian.

I can sit down to watch Bill Maher-even with his 'anti-vaccines' nonsense, because he's largely stayed to his core. You can disagree with him all you want, but if he articulates his argument well, I find that respectful.
    Jefferies does the usual 'if you disagree with me, you're an idiot'. He's as close minded as the people he mocks.

He's playing to the 'Woke' audience-which Comedy Central is trying to cave to as well. Samantha Bee is insufferable-Hillary lost, get over it woman. She's a harpy, as well.
    I just find Jefferies has all the qualities I hate in a person, not just a comedian.

I can sit down to watch Bill Maher-even with his 'anti-vaccines' nonsense, because he's largely stayed to his core. You can disagree with him all you want, but if he articulates his argument well, I find that respectful.
    Jefferies does the usual 'if you disagree with me, you're an idiot'. He's as close minded as the people he mocks.

no he's not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

All of them are unfunny apart from David O'Doherty and Sean Hughes (RIP).

Mind you most of the UK/American ones are rubbish too, except for Norm MacDonald, Brian Regan, Aziz Ansari (can be very funny, although not recently :p), Chris Rock, Mitch Hedberg (RIP, and only his first album is great, Strategic Grill Locations, my fav comedy album of all time).

Now that I think of it, there are very few stand up comedians that I could actually listen to for a full show. Most of them are insufferable. I like the guys that do stand-up very meticulously, or else the guys who don't give a **** and just speak their minds.

no he's not

He kind of is-he doesn't go against the grain, he simply follows it.

Look at those he's associating with, for one.
    All of them are unfunny apart from David O'Doherty and Sean Hughes (RIP).

Doherty is underrated-he was in one of those 'sciencey' shows years back, Scope I think, and it was very funny. He did sketches between the 'serious' stuff-and him and the red headed guy were the highlight.

Mind you most of the UK/American ones are rubbish too, except for Norm MacDonald, Brian Regan, Aziz Ansari (can be very funny, although not recently :p), Chris Rock, Mitch Hedberg (RIP, and only his first album is great, Strategic Grill Locations, my fav comedy album of all time).

I never got the hype with Aziz-he tries to be funny, but never wants to go 'too far' with the jokes. Being too safe is boring for me. Norm is great at roasting people, but his standup is hit and miss.
    Chris Rock had some great material-the bit on guns and bullets is genius.
    Hedberg sadly fell victim to his vices and insecurities-heroin and stage fright. I loved his material-his nervousness sorta made you internally cheer him on-and then laugh harder when he nailed the joke.
    [/quote]
    Now that I think of it, there are very few stand up comedians that I could actually listen to for a full show. Most of them are insufferable. I like the guys that do stand-up very meticulously, or else the guys who don't give a **** and just speak their minds.

Same-I can listen a full set from Daniel Tosh, because he doesn't pretend to be anything else. And when he frustrates the blue haired crowd, he revels in it. Richard Pryor was magical. Bo Burnham is really good too.

I've listened to Kathleen Madigan's shows in full. She's a comic who I admire, in that she does good jokes as a comedian, not just a 'woman comic' and never towed the 'feminism' line that ruins other comics.
    Taylor Tomlinson is another one I really like listening to-her material is really strong.

He kind of is-he doesn't go against the grain, he simply follows it.

Look at those he's associating with, for one.

Doherty is underrated-he was in one of those 'sciencey' shows years back, Scope I think, and it was very funny. He did sketches between the 'serious' stuff-and him and the red headed guy were the highlight.

I never got the hype with Aziz-he tries to be funny, but never wants to go 'too far' with the jokes. Being too safe is boring for me. Norm is great at roasting people, but his standup is hit and miss.
    Chris Rock had some great material-the bit on guns and bullets is genius.
    Hedberg sadly fell victim to his vices and insecurities-heroin and stage fright. I loved his material-his nervousness sorta made you internally cheer him on-and then laugh harder when he nailed the joke.

Same-I can listen a full set from Daniel Tosh, because he doesn't pretend to be anything else. And when he frustrates the blue haired crowd, he revels in it. Richard Pryor was magical. Bo Burnham is really good too.

I've listened to Kathleen Madigan's shows in full. She's a comic who I admire, in that she does good jokes as a comedian, not just a 'woman comic' and never towed the 'feminism' line that ruins other comics.
    Taylor Tomlinson is another one I really like listening to-her material is really strong.[/QUOTE]
    I haven't followed Jim's TV career at all so I've no idea who he hangs out with, I'll give him the Tara Flynn video as he knows her and it was for a cause... However based on his stand-up which I've seen live at the start middle and recent part is his career he's definitely the exact opposite to woke... His gigs are the type of gigs women run from

I haven't followed Jim's TV career at all so I've no idea who he hangs out with, I'll give him the Tara Flynn video as he knows her and it was for a cause... However based on his stand-up which I've seen live at the start middle and recent part is his career he's definitely the exact opposite to woke... His gigs are the type of gigs women run from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Which Irish comedians are funny? There most be a some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,484 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Which Irish comedians are funny? There most be a some!

David O'Doherty

Advertisement