Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Which Irish comedians are funny? There most be a some!
    Dylan Moran.
    Ardal O'Hanlon (not sure if he still does stand-up)
    Who was the stand up that used to wear baseball cap with the Sellotape logo on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

David O'Doherty

Only ever seen him on tv panel shows but always makes me laugh. His turns on WILTY are always top rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,484 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Only ever seen him on tv panel shows but always makes me laugh. His turns on WILTY are always top rate.

He is just a naturally funny person. He doesnt have an act. He just does himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dylan Moran has been one of the very best standups on the planet for 20+ years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Watched Jason Byrne on Netflix, wow he’s bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Paul Woodfull (a.k.a. Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly). His voice, facial expressions and mannerisms alone amuse me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

chicorytip wrote: »
    Paul Woodfull (a.k.a. Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly). His voice, facial expressions and mannerisms alone amuse me.

Tried watching one of his standups-I switched it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saw Bill burr last night.. He was amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Saw Bill burr last night.. He was amazing

Was there myself, it was grand in that he's clearly very comfortable doing what he's doing and far superior to anything on offer in Ireland - but I wouldn't go so far as to say "amazing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Watched Jason Byrne on Netflix, wow he’s bad

Woeful .....

How many times can he tell the story of his "Wonky fcuking eye" !!!!!!

Can I vote more than once ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Was there myself, it was grand in that he's clearly very comfortable doing what he's doing and far superior to anything on offer in Ireland - but I wouldn't go so far as to say "amazing".

Twitter Says amazing

greenspurs wrote: »
    Woeful .....

How many times can he tell the story of his "Wonky fcuking eye" !!!!!!

Can I vote more than once ?

I think anyone who voted for Spittle had blanked how truly awful Byrne is...it's your own fault you voted for the woman because of 'equality'. ;)

Twitter Says amazing

Ah well then I completely change my opinion. Why didn’t you tell me twitter said so? Then I’d have ditched my own independent thoughts and just gone alone with the crowd.......

Ah well then I completely change my opinion. Why didn’t you tell me twitter said so? Then I’d have ditched my own independent thoughts and just gone alone with the crowd.......

My opinion was a lone opinion initially

My opinion was a lone opinion initially

Well why mention Twitter then?

Well why mention Twitter then?

Because I found your experience a little harsh so I looked for verification. There was one **** in front me shouting "free Palastíne" but everyone else was laughing their asses off...

Because I found your experience a little harsh so I looked for verification. There was one **** in front me shouting "free Palastíne" but everyone else was laughing their asses off...

You went to Twitter for verification (of your own opinion) because someone on here didn't agree with your opinion ?! :confused: :rolleyes:

You went to Twitter for verification (of your own opinion) because someone on here didn't agree with your opinion ?! :confused: :rolleyes:

No not all... I just have twitter and looked at it this morning and saw the gig I thought was amazing last night was enjoyed by many others that's all
    No big deal really

No not all... I just have twitter and looked at it this morning and saw the gig I thought was amazing last night was enjoyed by many others that's all
    No big deal really

So why mention Twitter?

If I posted that I didn't think it was amazing and you had seen that by your own logic you'd probably have revised your opinion. :rolleyes:

Comedy is subjective, as is evident from this thread alone. People on here have defended Alison Spittle FFS. Some people like Mrs. Brown's Boys and think Brendan O'Carroll is funny. I'm not one of those.

I'm sure as you say loads of people liked it. I never said it was shoyte, it's just that I've seen an awful lot of stand up at home and abroad and I wouldn't put last night's gig anywhere near my Top 20 gigs attended. I certainly wouldn't describe it as amazing, that was my point - and like your opinion I'm sure there are many who were there who'd agree with mine. It doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong or vice versa, it just means we find different things subjectively funny. If you found it amazing, that's cool, I'm happy for you - but at least make up your own mind. You don't need Twitter's or anyone else's validation.

Not everyone.....that's my point. And someone thanked my original post, which would suggest that n=>1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Comedy is subjective, as is evident from this thread alone. People on here have defended Alison Spittle FFS.

Never seen her stand-up but that Nowhere Fast sitcom wasn't the worst.

Never seen her stand-up but that Nowhere Fast sitcom wasn't the worst.

when compared to ........ ? :eek:

Really ? are you the only person to like Alison Sh1t-tle ?? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

when compared to ........ ? :eek:

Really ? are you the only person to like Alison Sh1t-tle ?? :cool:

I thought it was good.

I thought it was good.

Each to their own, but I found everyone unlikable-with tons of cliched writing and Spittle's acting being...sub-par.

It was pretty bad, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I'll just leave this here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Foxhound38 wrote: »

That was just brutal. Each and every one of them should be tied to a chair and forced to watch that back on a loop.

That was just brutal. Each and every one of them should be tied to a chair and forced to watch that back on a loop.

She's the one who tried to pressure Newstalk into firing George Hook--he got moved to weekends, she got fired. Mainly because she had 100 000 (on average) less listeners than Hookie.

Alcohol free....I'd need a quart of vodka just to make it through one minute of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Tara Flynn begging for work on twitter now. Theres obviously an attention vacuum now with the vote being over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Foxhound38 wrote: »

what in sweet f*ck was that. first off it looked and sounded like it was filmed with some first generation nokia camera phone from the 90’s. It also looked like the basement cellar where the gimp was kept in pulp fiction. nervous laughter from a few people. i only got to two minutes but every single one of them were like that annoying c*nt you’ve to put up with in a boozer or party that’s wrecked drunk, strung out on coke and finds themself interesting and witty. there wasn’t an ounce of humour in any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Each to their own, but I found everyone unlikable-with tons of cliched writing and Spittle's acting being...sub-par.

It was pretty bad, imo.

Didn't see the tv show but I've watched her standup.

Her material is weak in places but her delivery is decent and she a nice air about her. I think she could have potential if her writing improved.

I'm not taking the piss btw,:D

Advertisement