Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

All political comedy is ****ing boring, it's also cheap and lazy. Mitchell's been doing it for too long.

He's a great actor though and Peep Show is an all time great.

Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Stewart Lee, Dylan Moran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Stewart Lee political? Since when?

Political comedy is HAHA DONALD TRUMP IS AN EEJIT HAA HA.

It's terrible. It's boring. Unfortunately that's all there is lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

Alison Spittle- what an unfunny bollocks,

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek9_GQa1lgc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Norm MacDonald addressed this recently.
    Real smart comic.

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »

I like Stewart Lee, I just don't see him as political at all. He has far more memorable routines that aren't like that one to me.

Norm MacDonald addressed this recently.
    Real smart comic.

**** me but he s boring and difficult to stick with but I agree with him re the late night shows in particular Seth Meyers awful repetitive Trump bashing bull****

I like Stewart Lee, I just don't see him as political at all. He has far more memorable routines that aren't like that one to me.

He s always been political in one way or another

He s always been political in one way or another

Nothing like a Rory Bremner or a David Mitchell though. It's a small enough part of his act so he gets a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is there another David Mitchell I'm not aware of? Apart from his Observer weekly column, I cant think of any other forum in which he engages with politics in any significant way. Even in that column, I doubt the subject of Trump crops up all that often, maybe once every couple of months or so. There's the odd political rant on WILTY, but they are by nature linked to the context of that show. It strikes me as some kind of bizarro world in which David Mitchell can be described as a political performer, but Stewart Lee not.

• Advertisement

Is there another David Mitchell I'm not aware of? Apart from his Observer weekly column, I cant think of any other forum in which he engages with politics in any significant way. Even in that column, I doubt the subject of Trump crops up all that often, maybe once every couple of months or so. There's the odd political rant on WILTY, but they are by nature linked to the context of that show. It strikes me as some kind of bizarro world in which David Mitchell can be described as a political performer, but Stewart Lee not.

Stewart lee not being political left me gob smacked too

David Mitchell literally did nothing else but politics on that Channel 4 11 o'clock live. If that's baffling I don't know what to tell you.

Stewart Lee touches on it sure, but he's not a political comedian. He's not seen that way. He just isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

David Mitchell literally did nothing else but politics on that Channel 4 11 o'clock live. If that's baffling I don't know what to tell you.

Stewart Lee touches on it sure, but he's not a political comedian. He's not seen that way. He just isn't.

Well to be fair 10 O'Clock Live was conceived as a political show so David Mitchell was hardly going to appear on it and talk about cricket all the time, was he? Is Jimmy Carr a political comedian because he featured in that show too? Only lasted a couple of seasons iirc anyway, hardly career defining stuff you'd say.

I like both Stewart Lee and David Mitchell, however they are defined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Because there's such a big irish community in Oz throwing their money around a lot of well known irish bands and comedians that struggle over here can do really well for themselves over there.

Even if their really not that good.

but it wasn't just ex-pat paddys....regular aussie's loved him for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

fryup wrote: »
    but it wasn't just ex-pat paddys....regular aussie's loved him for some reason :confused:

Mrs Browns Boys is also very popular there. They're not a people known for their good taste

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Dave Callan is another Australian based Irish standup who's bafflingly popular down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

As he is in Would I Lie To You? though it is starting to sag a little bit after so many series, as any format would to be fair. Why he has been dragged into this particular thread, I really haven't the faintest idea.

Also Mitchell and Webb-don't forget that. It was brilliant.

Well, the Sindo and the Indo are at it too, and trying to make their focking Mom a celeb too. I’ve heard them referred to as “the Irish Kardashians”.

Jeeezus...what??? That makes about as much sense as the time Amanda Brunker called Vivienne Connolly 'Ireland's answer to Cameron Diaz'...

I sat there like ' how are they compatible? That's like comparing a Galaxy bar to boiled cabbage'. Connolly hadn't even attempted to 'act' at the time.

Carrie Crowley lol

What's this about Brian Ormond?

As for Claire Byrne, isn't her talent in riding her way to the top?

Yeah-remember Carrie Crowley? It all seemed to go wrong for her after she hosted Eurovision.

Brian Ormond was responsible for some 'get rich quick' scheme that he duped a number of people into-at 40 grand a person. At the time, he was working with The Lotto, and hosting some show that only aired on youtube (the new Lotto owners had no idea about the Irish audience) and thus should have kept his profile low. The Viper was sent to collect for some of the folks Ormond had duped, and it made the front pages of the news papers.Ouch. Career was over in a flash.

As for Claire Byrne-yep. I noticed she was curiously absent from the 'Autumn schedule' reveal. Even Anne Cassin, host of Nationwide, was included in the schedule reveal. I think someone, hopefully, is seeing sense-she's a disaster.
    **** me but he s boring and difficult to stick with but I agree with him re the late night shows in particular Seth Meyers awful repetitive Trump bashing bull****

And many of them are losing viewers and sponsors. Such as Samantha Bee, and she can't afford to lose sponsors, she's barely got any.
    Comedy central hosts are a mixed bag-you have the reprehensible Bee, the similarly reprehensible Jim Jeffries, and the rest are just 'meh'.
    I think folks long for the days of John Stewart.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Mrs Browns Boys is also very popular there. They're not a people known for their good taste

thats true, they gave the world Paul Hogan

And Yahoo Serious.

• Advertisement

and the unfunny chap with the false leg, who's name escapes me right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And Yahoo Serious.

And Kevin Bloody Wilson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

209 votes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I remember seeing Deirdre Kane supporting Ross Noble, of all people, in a pub off Dame St years ago. French kiss at a family reunion

and the unfunny chap with the false leg, who's name escapes me right now

Adam Hill? He's pretty darn decent as a comedian. Has a bit about gay priests that's hilarious.

I see in the news Michelle Wolf's show got aborted-which is ironic, because she did a 'celebration of abortion' routine on her show, and now her own show has ended after less than 12 weeks.
    I wonder if we're gonna see a crack down on comics doing boring political comedy? Like, it's two years of the same dumb material about a president they don't like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

many moons ago i was in Australia, and Jimeoin was huge there at the time

i was baffled by it all, found him about as funny as waking up in a operating theatre during a vasectomy

I remember he was on the very first episode of the Panel where he came across like he was hungover, not funny just surly and narky.

I remember he was on the very first episode of the Panel where he came across like he was hungover, not funny just surly and narky.

He's miles better than the others mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,484 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Paul Hogan tv show was hilarious when i was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Rory's stories is just awful, really bottom of the barrel stuff. Tommy Tiernan went off a bit the last few years but he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Jason Byrne, he was never funny at all. To be honest can't think of any Irish comedians I'd pay to see now but Bill Burr had an Irish comic supporting him when he was here and he was pretty good, can't remember the name.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

Feel sorry for Alison now
    Is she the Charlie Chaplin of our time

Advertisement