Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

warsaw2018 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Alison now
    Is she the Charlie Chaplin of our time

Charlie Chaplin's humour is timeless, immortal even. Allison is just an unfunny waste of space.

Wonder if she'll start dressing in black, playing the victim, and going around like a suffragette like her pal Maeve Higgins?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Jaysus, just how many of these guys were sold as "Irelands best comedian" etc? Mostly people I've never heard of like this tw@t.

R-7341880-1439324754-3524.jpeg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

warsaw2018 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Alison now

i kinda feel sorry for her, i reckon she was the type of girl at school with her weight issues & looks could easily have been picked on but choose humour to deflect that, but being a laugh at school and being a pro comedian is another matter

but hey she's probably making a hell of a lot more money than me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Did Alison Spittle run off with your boyfriends or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Run?

• Advertisement

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Did Alison Spittle run off with your boyfriends or what?

I'm not gay, but I'm willing to convert... ;):cool:
    fryup wrote: »
    i kinda feel sorry for her, i reckon she was the type of girl at school with her weight issues & looks could easily have been picked on but choose humour to deflect that, but being a laugh at school and being a pro comedian is another matter

but hey she's probably making a hell of a lot more money than me :cool:

She's admitted to having a breakdown in the past, stuff like if she was walking down the streets in Dublin someone would literally just say 'fat b!t€h' under their breath while walking past her. Might very well have been talking about her, might have been talking about themselves, either way-it affected her.

As for comedy, yeah, she's not much of one, tbh. Not even when it comes to writing either (I watched one episode of Nowhere Fast-a part of the second one. It suffered from 'first draft' rather than finished script).
    I think Rte got a bit of a shock-the 'woke' crowd they thought would give Nowhere Fast huge ratings....didn't watch it. ('Get woke, go broke', eh?)

When it comes to money tho, you'd be surprised. She's more than likely making less than you are. Stefanie Preissner has been honest about her pay-she can't afford a pension, for one. She often doesn't have credit for her mobile phone. And she's written a book, and two series of a show.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/rorys-stories-2-4195994-Aug2018/

Hate linking Dailyedge-but I see Rory's Stories has 'triggered' folks-with accusations of making jokes about domestic violence and so on.

Can't believe anyone watches that crap, or 'giz a laugh' either-but there ya go.

"Making jokes"?

Nah, it must be complete lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When it comes to money tho, you'd be surprised. She's more than likely making less than you are. Stefanie Preissner has been honest about her pay-she can't afford a pension, for one. She often doesn't have credit for her mobile phone. And she's written a book, and two series of a show.

I'd take the pension thing with a bit of salt, she probably needs to be careful as her future returns aren't guaranteed, but once she gets a foot in the door on Irish TV she'll be taken care of nicely. I say that as someone who likes her.
    She was travelling business to LA there last week.

Rory's Stories is copping a bit of flak there. It was an awful sketch anyway (man comes home from work, wife/partner asks him a few questions and he flips the lid entirely). The worst part he tried to play the sincere "lads, talk to each other" mental health card earlier and this is going to opposite way.
    It's greatest offence is having no punchline and being entirely unfunny. You could easily call out the fella Twomey's stuff for the female character being abusive and aggressive too though. Again, also unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

fryup wrote: »
    and the unfunny chap with the false leg, who's name escapes me right now

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd take the pension thing with a bit of salt, she probably needs to be careful as her future returns aren't guaranteed, but once she gets a foot in the door on Irish TV she'll be taken care of nicely. I say that as someone who likes her.

Rory's Stories is copping a bit of flak there. It was an awful sketch anyway (man comes home from work, wife/partner asks him a few questions and he flips the lid entirely). The worst part he tried to play the sincere "lads, talk to each other" mental health card earlier and this is going to opposite way.
    It's greatest offence is having no punchline and being entirely unfunny. You could easily call out the fella Twomey's stuff for the female character being abusive and aggressive too though. Again, also unfunny.

He's never had a punchline or anything remotely close to it. It's basically him shouting in forced accent for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

"Can't afford a pension" is pretty much an untruth if that's what she said. She's a self employed person so pension contributions should be maxed out where possible as a quasi tax deduction on earnings.

I think what she said was that pensions were too expensive in terms of how much they charge/deduct from your investment each year, which is a different thing altogether. It also reflected she didn't really understand much about pensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

http://www.dailyedge.ie/rorys-stories-2-4195994-Aug2018/

Hate linking Dailyedge-but I see Rory's Stories has 'triggered' folks-with accusations of making jokes about domestic violence and so on.

Can't believe anyone watches that crap, or 'giz a laugh' either-but there ya go.
    its the same people who watch Mrs browns and Cian Twomey...I thought more people would be triggered that hes not funny

3 out of those comments have no responses or likes to them...really stretching daily edge with the "outrage"...him calling himself a comedian Is more offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

razorblunt wrote: »

yeah and cian tried the anti bullying thing campaign, going around blocking anyone who doesn't suck up to him in the comments, according to a family member he was quite a bully growing up which cheesed off a lot of people who were in school with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭George White

Jaysus, just how many of these guys were sold as "Irelands best comedian" etc? Mostly people I've never heard of like this tw@t.

See also Shaun Connors, whose schtick was a garda routine.
    A lot of these guys play the ex-pat scenes in Canada and the US, esp. Canada, which had a whole foreign ex-pat cabaret scene (SCTV's the Shmenges with John Candy and Eugene Levy as "Leutonian" polka brothers spoofs this phenom), where they had the likes of Scot-Canadian Billy Meek and the Carlton Showband. The Pig and Whistle was full of this, a Canadian Television answer to the Good Old Days, hosted by John Hewer, alias Captain Birdseye who'd fly over to Canada every year to host it for how many weeks. Featuring the likes of Barbara Windsor, Hattie Jacques, Vera Lynn, Andy Stewart, the Alexander Brothers, and our own Anna McGoldrick, who is still a name in Canada, while being forgotten here despite having her own show on RTE, and my mum still has one of her singles.

Online, an acquaintance dug up a sort of Conal Gallen-type record for the US market by Cahal Dunne, alias Cathal Dunne (changing his spelling so Yanks can say it), one time Eurovision entry, the poor man's Colm Wilkinson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ER57lMCnc

Fitzpatrick, he toured with Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson - used to appear quite a bit on UTV and BBC Northern Ireland.
    A lot of these guys, even though they don't get telly work much will often be incredibly successful - touring cruises and doing cabaret in other countries.
    Not comedy, but I am reminded of the late Shay Duffin, one of those Irish actors in the US, who popped up in Titanic as an English pubkeeper, Star Trek as a Scotsman and sole actual Irishman in a Murder She Wrote set in Wicklow, who regularly toured around the world with a Brendan Behan one-man show, which did play Dublin in the 80s.

Not Irish (though he did cabaret here in the 70s with Brendan O'Reilly), but a friend online became obsessed with Northern English standup Kenny Cantor, who did slots on Harry Secombe, the Good Old Days, but only ever had a pilot from Yorkshire TV that never got picked up/aired. But became a massive TV star - in RHODESIA.
    Then, when that all went wrong, moved to New Zealand, and became host of Play Your Cards Right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1bwrUh6AY

He's never had a punchline or anything remotely close to it. It's basically him shouting in forced accent for a few minutes.

He's the modern equiv of the Bachelors in Trouble.

He's the modern equiv of the Bachelors in Trouble.

Now there's a blast from the past. At least with them they had a particular audience who bought their videos and in those pre social media days you weren't going to be subjected to them unless you really wanted to.

ligerdub wrote: »
    "Can't afford a pension" is pretty much an untruth if that's what she said. She's a self employed person so pension contributions should be maxed out where possible as a quasi tax deduction on earnings.

I think what she said was that pensions were too expensive in terms of how much they charge/deduct from your investment each year, which is a different thing altogether. It also reflected she didn't really understand much about pensions.

Tbh, I think that series was when I kind of started to dislike her. She's not a bad person (imo). But I dunno what it was, there was just something...

I am odd duck, I can like someone other people dislike, and dislike someone other people like. It's just life really. Some of my longest lasting friendships got off on the wrong foot. Ditto some of my exes.

Has this gobshyte been mentioned? This is car crash stuff.

Once played Billy Connolly in the astonishing When Harvey Met Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Look at that poster though. Haughey? and racism

Has this gobshyte been mentioned? This is car crash stuff.

That is RTE summed up perfectly.

That is RTE summed up perfectly.

Marketed himself as 'comedy Dave'...yeah, that's the name he went with. It's even on his website.

Used to be on everything , but had the same 'gags' as the likes of Brendan Grace, or Al Porter.
    Like, same stolen jokes stolen from the likes of a children's joke book, or more talented comedians like Rodney Dangerfield.
    Considering Podge and Rodge have been...ahem...revived...I expect RTE to bring him back too. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a guest on their show.

His material there is Peter Kaye, that's clear. But it's Peter Kaye material taken from where if you asked a 5 year old child to write down the jokes he remembered from Daddy's Peter Kaye DVD.

What a terrible comedian. The cheap laugh coming from. "Are yous on drugs"? It makes no sense whatsoever. He's also trying to get himself over as a singer there with his over dramatic delivery.

I think I might hate him.

He's a "wedding comedian" as well, yes apparently that's a thing. In case the best man speech fails to make the guests feel suicidal enough.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057493617

His material there is Peter Kaye, that's clear. But it's Peter Kaye material taken from where if you asked a 5 year old child to write down the jokes he remembered from Daddy's Peter Kaye DVD.

What a terrible comedian. The cheap laugh coming from. "Are yous on drugs"? It makes no sense whatsoever. He's also trying to get himself over as a singer there with his over dramatic delivery.

I think I might hate him.

He had another routine that he stole from Adam Hill, where he'd assemble a boyband from members of the audience.

That's what RTE trots out-crap comedians. You have to feel bad for folks who have a passion for comedy, only to get crapped on by this lot, more than likely stealing their material.
    He's a "wedding comedian" as well, yes apparently that's a thing. In case the best man speech fails to make the guests feel suicidal enough.

Saw one of the posts in that link-'Comedy Dave' charges €1800?!!! For a wedding?! Jesus!!! And considering how old the thread is, and adjusting for inflation, he probably charges a solid two grand even now... :eek::eek::eek:

Dear God, no...that's marking Dave down as the most unfunny, in my eyes...

God, imagine the poor bride and groom having to sit thru his 'jokes' which are aimed at them, but he clearly doesn't know them.

Any comedian who's act is "Do you remember things from the past?" is a talentless hack.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057493617

You can be sure he stuck around for the whole wedding trying to hit on the bridesmaids.

• Advertisement

Have you honestly seen anything less funny?

He's number one.

Advertisement