Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

TomasMacR wrote: »
    I don’t really agree, you’ve only one vote to say who you think is the worst...it’s not in any way an indicator of how well liked those two are, i could put myself in the list and I would probably get the least amount of votes ahead of short and o briain, it’s meaningless.

I can’t stand Dara O Briain but I’d rather give him an all over body wax using my tongue to spread the hot wax on his body than have to listen to Alison Spittle for 30 seconds.
    Why is Allison Spittle listed? This post is about comedians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I repressed memories of this guy for years and was reminded of him again when I saw something online.

That is brutal.

RTE in the 80's and still to this day is an embarrassment for comedy.

Look at this ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There are definitely some good Irish comedians, but a lot of them are really hit and miss....a few on the list in this thread fit into that category....and some of them are just so awful I cannot understand how they even get work.

To be fair I feel that way about a lot of comedians, not just Irish ones.

I remember going to a few local comedy gigs with a girl I was dating, real small scale stuff. One or two great acts to be fair (and a few that've gone on to be moderately successful), but most of it was so embarrassing...and some of them were at it a long time.

Suppose we see the same with the likes of X-Factor all the time though....people whose life ambition is to be a famous singer, something they've spent years chasing.... despite the fact they haven't a ****ing note in their head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Edgware wrote: »

I think it’s a matter of self-declaration rather than it being earned. It’s comparable to a some madman dropping his pants on the road and spraying diarrhoea on it and asking people to look at his masterpiece whilst calling himself an ‘artist’. Again, I’d rather look at the madman at work than listen or look at Alison Spittle for 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

There is no right or wrong answer.
    Humour is subjective
    I like Dylan Moran Brendan Grace and dare I say Jason Byrne while others may hate these
    I hate Shortt Tiernan and O Brian and some will love them

• Advertisement

There is still nothing worse than the youtube/facebook cretins. "Things only Irish Mammies Might Say"

Fire them all directly into a tornado please.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Interesting that two female comedians on a list of ten options get 40% of the votes. Evidence, I suppose, that people really don't think women can be as deliberately funny as men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Brendan Grace was brilliant at a certain time in Irish comedy. Now not at all. His material is dated and no longer funny. I'm glad I haven't seen him do Bottler recently - it must be cringe-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Brendan Grace was brilliant at a certain time in Irish comedy. Now not at all. His material is dated and no longer funny. I'm glad I haven't seen him do Bottler recently - it must be cringe-worthy.

Cashing in on the same stupid jokes for the last 30+ years. The only time he was ever funny was when he was in Craggy Island.

He's been out of comedy for years. His last gig was as Minister for Health, I believe he's now working as a GP again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Aidan Bishop and jarlath what's his name can't be beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is still nothing worse than the youtube/facebook cretins. "Things only Irish Mammies Might Say"

Sure hasn't Joe.ie made a website out of basically the same sh1t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Regan ...male feminist ... ugh feminism and comedy don’t mix

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Interesting that two female comedians on a list of ten options get 40% of the votes. Evidence, I suppose, that people really don't think women can be as deliberately funny as men.

I’m wondering is it just there’s a lack of them or do the channels just keep pushing the same ones over and over - the uk channels, since they put in ar least one female must be on rule, keep putting on the same 5/6, Miranda Hart, Sarah Millican( both dire), Katherine Ryan (funny but getting over exposed, always appears when jimmy Carr is around) Sarah Pascoe and Aisling Bea (funny bit again over exposed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

A year or two ago at Christmas, I stumbled across one of his gigs on TV while channel surfing. Grace was wearing this tent of a full length black leather trenchcoat but still telling the same old worn out material from back in the day and it was one of the most cringe-worthy things Iv ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

So it appears from the poll that AH's favourite comedians from the above list are Pat Shortt and Dara O'Briain.

Dermot Morgan was not a very good stand up comic but a brilliant comedic actor. Shortt and Jon Kenny, in particular, were funny when working together as D'unbelievables and wisely decided to knock that particular act on the head before it got stale. Both have since performed well in "straight" dramatic roles on stage and screen. I must say Paul Woodfull (a.k.a.Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly) always makes me laugh.
    Has Noel V. Ginnity been mentioned in this thread yet? In my opinion, he is the stand out nominee for the award of Ireland's Greatest Ever Unfunny Comedian!!

I sigh whenever I see th most Irish whatever that.joe/Reddit/today fm pedal

The YouTube/social media comedians ... has there ever been one who actually has more than one joke, or don’t beat the living hell out of the same joke, Rory’s Stories (his other half and him screeching like a moron) Cian Twomey (dressing in drag and again screeching like a twit) Doireann Gahiry (same impressions just a different wig) the two Johnny’s

Has the CianTwomey band wagon died down as I don’t see much about him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Venom wrote: »
    A year or two ago at Christmas, I stumbled across one of his gigs on TV while channel surfing. Grace was wearing this tent of a full length black leather trenchcoat but still telling the same old worn out material from back in the day and it was one of the most cringe-worthy things Iv ever seen.

He's still beloved by the older generation although he's been regurgitating the same old material for years. He seems to be quite a likeable character though.

Pat Shortt is another one. He's been peddling the same culchie act for 20+ years and it's gone totally stale by this point. I checked out one of his Xmas dvds a few years ago and it was so bad as to be embarrassing. Just another Xmas DVD money spinning racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I repressed memories of this guy for years and was reminded of him again when I saw something online.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

What is it about the population of Dublin that find their own city so absolutely enthralling? Paul Malone, Brendan Grace, Dave Young, Al Porter, Rosaline Linehan, Maureen Potter are all massively popular down in the capital where it seems all you need to do is drop a few references to certain postcodes and they'll be rolling in the Tenement Slums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ.

What is it about the population of Dublin that find their own city so absolutely enthralling? Paul Malone, Brendan Grace, Dave Young, Al Porter, Rosaline Linehan, Maureen Potter are all massively popular down in the capital where it seems all you need to do is drop a few references to certain postcodes and they'll be rolling in the Tenement Slums.
    Brendan O'Carroll as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

Edgware wrote: »

She self identifies as a comedian.

I sigh whenever I see th most Irish whatever that.joe/Reddit/today fm pedal

The YouTube/social media comedians ... has there ever been one who actually has more than one joke, or don’t beat the living hell out of the same joke, Rory’s Stories (his other half and him screeching like a moron) Cian Twomey (dressing in drag and again screeching like a twit) Doireann Gahiry (same impressions just a different wig) the two Johnny’s

Has the CianTwomey band wagon died down as I don’t see much about him now

The 2 Johnnies:

Putting on a forced rural accent, a wig and talking about GAA and drinking with no jokes.

NO JOKES

They are no different to Bachelors in Trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Jarlath Regan is a good shout, he’s so bad I’m not sure people realise he considers himself to be a comedian. His podcast is sh*t too, awful interviewer. Seems like a pompous arsehole also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

In its time it was hillarious.
    In its time!

Showed his "wot u want" Chinese takeaway routine to a few (younger) colleagues the other day. They thought it just weird and unfunny.
    Back in the 80s, that was pure gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is playing to ‘his’ audience, people whom by now would be in their 70’s and 80’s in the main. People who like it safe and not too ‘risky’. He plays the same old scthick comedy and it’s a safe bet to fill the halls and roll back the years with 5 mins on tv chat shows every year to keep him in comfort in Florida as the DVDs and show tickets fill stockings every Christmas.

He is far from the worst comedian out there if maybe some degree from the most original or ‘cutting edge’ though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

In its time it was hillarious.
    In its time!

Showed his "wot u want" Chinese takeaway routine to a few (younger) colleagues the other day. They thought it just weird and unfunny.
    Back in the 80s, that was pure gold.

“Fah Q!!”

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

“Fah Q!!”

Da's no F in duck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Strumms wrote: »
    He is playing to ‘his’ audience, people whom by now would be in their 70’s and 80’s in the main. People who like it safe and not too ‘risky’. He plays the same old scthick comedy and it’s a safe bet to fill the halls and roll back the years with 5 mins on tv chat shows every year to keep him in comfort in Florida as the DVDs and show tickets fill stockings every Christmas.

He is far from the worst comedian out there if maybe some degree from the most original or ‘cutting edge’ though.

The man is a living legend. He made us laugh through two recessions without using vulgarity.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Every Irish person should see 'Father of the bride' routine at least 4 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Jarlath Regan is a good shout, he’s so bad I’m not sure people realise he considers himself to be a comedian. His podcast is sh*t too, awful interviewer. Seems like a pompous arsehole also.

I know what he'd say to you :)

"you see you're part of the problem"

Advertisement