Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The man is a living legend. He made us laugh through two recessions without using vulgarity.

THIS IS IT ! THIS IS IT ! :eek: you hear the rest of these fèckers now, even on the late late, swearing like there is no tomorrow saying jokes about the SEX ! One of the shows had Miriam O’Callaghan in the panel and she didn’t know where to look ! Red as a beetroot she was :eek: my nextdoor neighbour Maureen Fallon, looking at this and her with the shingles and a gout, a tub of Vaseline in one had and these fellas now, effing and blinding and every vulgarity under the sun. ! Just as well she’s deaf, just as well !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I voted for des Bishop from the selection. The type of guy that would trip over himself to get noticed in a public setting only to say in interviews "I literally can't go anywhere im so famous"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

"Did ya ever notice the way I have an American accent and how odd it sounds when saying things like,'what's the craic'"

Side splitting stuff alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

darkdubh wrote: »
    Three words. Noel V Ginnity. Most of the people posting here are probably too young to remember him luckily. He was kidnapped and held to ransom by a Dublin criminal gang in the mid 90s. After he was freed he appeared on the Late Late with Gaybo where he subjected the nation to several of his stand up routines. If theres been an unfunnier so called "comedian" to emerge from Ireland then my names Donald Trump.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Dermot Morgan was not a very good stand up comic but a brilliant comedic actor. Shortt and Jon Kenny, in particular, were funny when working together as D'unbelievables and wisely decided to knock that particular act on the head before it got stale. Both have since performed well in "straight" dramatic roles on stage and screen. I must say Paul Woodfull (a.k.a.Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly) always makes me laugh.
    Has Noel V. Ginnity been mentioned in this thread yet? In my opinion, he is the stand out nominee for the award of Ireland's Greatest Ever Unfunny Comedian!!

Lol, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Bernard O Shea drives me nuts. He’s not funny and his flat monotone voice with the stupid act is incredibly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I’m wondering is it just there’s a lack of them or do the channels just keep pushing the same ones over and over - the uk channels, since they put in ar least one female must be on rule, keep putting on the same 5/6, Miranda Hart, Sarah Millican( both dire), Katherine Ryan (funny but getting over exposed, always appears when jimmy Carr is around) Sarah Pascoe and Aisling Bea (funny bit again over exposed)

You'd forget Bea was a comedienne. She's known for being TV poison now, more than anything else. And hardly does comedy now.
    Seems she's now become one of those 'showmance' people-was dating Michael Sheen, and is now rumoured to be sniffing around Andrew Garfield.
    And she jumped on the feminist train...while being a hypocrite.

I'd put her at the bottom of the rung tbh-Hart is awful, but I know she has fans. I'd put Bea right below her tho. Far below. Because Hart doesn't talk down to her audience.
    Pascoe is boring, the rest I still find somewhat funny. (Outside of Hart and Bea) They've made me laugh a few times.

Tara Flynn I think has pretty much given up being unfunny 'comedian' and now has become a preachy wagon. Same with Deirdre O'Kane.
    Joanne McNally is' another unfunny one..but she mostly does 'one woman' plays.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Dermot Morgan was not a very good stand up comic but a brilliant comedic actor. Shortt and Jon Kenny, in particular, were funny when working together as D'unbelievables and wisely decided to knock that particular act on the head before it got stale. Both have since performed well in "straight" dramatic roles on stage and screen. I must say Paul Woodfull (a.k.a.Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly) always makes me laugh.
    Has Noel V. Ginnity been mentioned in this thread yet? In my opinion, he is the stand out nominee for the award of Ireland's Greatest Ever Unfunny Comedian!!

It was less getting stale and more Jon Kenny was fighting cancer and couldn't tour for years. You couldn't really ask Pat to sit idly by while not making money, and worrying about his friend.

Ginnity pops up quite a lot on this thread-he's as funny as nappy rash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

You'd forget Bea was a comedienne. She's known for being TV poison now, more than anything else. And hardly does comedy now.
    Seems she's now become one of those 'showmance' people-was dating Michael Sheen, and is now rumoured to be sniffing around Andrew Garfield.
    And she jumped on the feminist train...while being a hypocrite.

I'd put her at the bottom of the rung tbh-Hart is awful, but I know she has fans. I'd put Bea right below her tho. Far below. Because Hart doesn't talk down to her audience.
    Pascoe is boring, the rest I still find somewhat funny. (Outside of Hart and Bea) They've made me laugh a few times.

Tara Flynn I think has pretty much given up being unfunny 'comedian' and now has become a preachy wagon. Same with Deirdre O'Kane.
    Joanne McNally is' another unfunny one..but she mostly does 'one woman' plays.

It was less getting stale and more Jon Kenny was fighting cancer and couldn't tour for years. You couldn't really ask Pat to sit idly by while not making money, and worrying about his friend.

Ginnity pops up quite a lot on this thread-he's as funny as nappy rash.

You forgot Meave Higgins, seems to have given up comedy. Lives in the States though not sure what she actually does for a living now. Spends a lot of her time sending bitter tweets about white male privilege etc.

You forgot Meave Higgins, seems to have given up comedy. Lives in the States though not sure what she actually does for a living now. Spends a lot of her time sending bitter tweets about white male privilege etc.

As an Irish person-you can't whine about 'White' male privilege...because we were the damned oppressed. (To paraphrase an Adam Hills joke, he saw a US comedian doing a standup routine in Ireland, who was going on about 'how come there's no black people here? Well, who are the folks who were oppressed for hundreds of years?' To which the audience replied 'US YOU F**KER!')

Ah yes, Maeve Higgins...whines about white male privilige, than is an 'ableist' cow who used her gender and her victimisation to get her dog allowed on a flight because she claimed he was a 'service' dog...
    Anyone with a child with autism, or a blind person or any other genuine disability, who has a service dog, would have been told 'sorry, you'll have to get a delayed flight-we've got a harpy on here who's claiming her dog is a service dog'. Apparently they won't allow on two service dogs in case they fight or injure another dog or their owner.

Maia Dunphy tried to 'defend' her on twitter-but clearly had no idea what she was talking about, and was roundly told to sod off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Had a look at Maeve's twitter there...what an absolute sh*t show of utter bollocks. Looks like shes been thoroughly enjoying all the culinary delights that the US has to offer.

Had a listen to this Noel V Ginnity lad on YouTube. He's up there with Alison Spittle in terms of unfunny ramblings. He's one of those 'comedians' that just shoots off terrible gags one after the other, which have no connection to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Had a look at Maeve's twitter there...what an absolute sh*t show of utter bollocks. Looks like shes been thoroughly enjoying all the culinary delights that the US has to offer.

Had a listen to this Noel V Ginnity lad on YouTube. He's up there with Alison Spittle in terms of unfunny ramblings. He's one of those 'comedians' that just shoots off terrible gags one after the other, which have no connection to one another.

You’re proud of yourself, are you? Sneering about her weight like that.

• Advertisement

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You’re proud of yourself, are you? Sneering about her weight like that.

She’s a big aul unit though isn’t she? Maybe it’s deliberate as fat people are generally more humorous and she’s really struggling in that department. The move to the US might be a training camp of sorts for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

“Fah Q!!”

You want to wake up with a crowd around ya?!

She's also started going around dressed in black being judgemental like the stereotypical priest.

Like, seriously, she used to be funny... that's not even a joke, she genuinely was. Dark humour but funny humour.

I swear-one of the greatest killers of creativity is social media. Facebook, twitter, instagram... you have to limit yourself to how much you use it.
    I've seen folks set up apps to their schedule-so they're like 'I'm only gonna be on social media for two hours today, and then it's all work'.

Otherwise you end up like so many been and gones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

I really find those lazy acts like two johnnies Rory’s stories farmer Michael incredibly pathetic.

They all leech off what Kenny and shortt created nearly 30 years ago expect they don’t have the intelligence or skill to pull it off.

What made the d unbelievables so good was it was all good insights/ satire into rural life delivered with great writing and acting.
    Added to that it was fresh and original.

These wannabes are not comedians and only exist cause the internet is everywhere so they project their crap quickly.

Good shout on Rory's storys. His missus has tried tapping into the muck that he does for a female market, horrific stuff. Hungover lad, her giving out, hilarity ensues, rinse and repeat. Pair of gobsh*tes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Rory’s latest one on the atm robberies has to be seen to be believed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Good shout on Rory's storys. His missus has tried tapping into the muck that he does for a female market, horrific stuff. Hungover lad, her giving out, hilarity ensues, rinse and repeat. Pair of gobsh*tes.

Cian Twomey did the same thing with his missus (the New) Emily, to push her "Influencer" facebook page....these fb comedians beat the same joke/material...I would be impressed if one of them came out with a new joke/material.

Cian Twomey did the same thing with his missus (the New) Emily, to push her "Influencer" facebook page....these fb comedians beat the same joke/material...I would be impressed if one of them came out with a new joke/material.

Oh Gooooodddddd....the influencers...*vomits*

There was one on the Late Late Show a few weeks back....you can find out who she was from a google or two. Claimed to be 'Ireland's first Social Media Influencer' or as others would call em, Corporate shill who advertises products with a 'oh wow, just stumbled on this fabulous razor/ toothpaste/ teeth whitener' etc...without disclosing it's a paid advert.

The reason I'm not naming her is that twitter was 'abuzz' with an *alleged' story of her wedding a few months back... where it's alleged (probably happened too) she did so much cocaine on her wedding night, she crapped the bed. Yeah, her LLS show appearance was hilarious because of all the stories on twitter.

This is one of the most infuriating thing that's happening in comedy here now-they're tryna capitalise on promoting products, and not on promoting themselves as comics.
    Everyone's trying to get on TV-Tormey included. The 'Farmer Dan' or 'Steve' or whatever the hell he is...he does cross country shows.

What happened to the comedians who tried to be global? Like, funny to everyone, across the world? Dylan Moran managed that, Dara O'Briain did too..Now it's like 'crack England, maybe'... they don't try to be universally funny.
    It's more 'ah, we're Irish-we're hilarious-drop a town name here and there and watch em laugh'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

Absolutely agree. Rory and his girlfriend are so dreadful I initially thought it was some sort of a satirical comedy routine about all the bad comedians popping up on Facebook and then I realised they actually think they are funny. How many times can she do the same unfunny hangover act???? And that ATM routine Rory put out. Dear jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

I sigh whenever I see th most Irish whatever that.joe/Reddit/today fm pedal

The YouTube/social media comedians ... has there ever been one who actually has more than one joke, or don’t beat the living hell out of the same joke, Rory’s Stories (his other half and him screeching like a moron) Cian Twomey (dressing in drag and again screeching like a twit) Doireann Gahiry (same impressions just a different wig) the two Johnny’s

Has the CianTwomey band wagon died down as I don’t see much about him now

There's a button in the corner.... unfollow. I agree with you though.... They might be funny the first time you see them for a laugh, i cant understand the need to follow them and listen to the same ****e every day.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

The 2 Johnnies:

Putting on a forced rural accent, a wig and talking about GAA and drinking with no jokes.

NO JOKES

They are no different to Bachelors in Trouble.

They are not actually putting the accent on, just playing on it... They are both hipsters.... and clever fella's that can see how mad most things are in the local area and are making money out of it.... I admire them.... I'm from about 20 mile away from them in Pat Short country... Every character Pat Short ever created was based on a local person.... He was just sharp enough to capitalise on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Yes shorrt and Kenny included were smart to capitalize on it but as I said earlier they had the skill to do it.

These other types haven’t an ounce of comedic ability about them. It’s all stuff we can think of in the car on our own.
    Example summer is coming so farmers will be cutting silage expect the two johnnies to do a sketch about lads not making training etc cause their farming etc. Rory’s stories will do some crap about lads not making GAA training cause there drinking cider etc

leestone wrote: »
    Yes shorrt and Kenny included were smart to capitalize on it but as I said earlier they had the skill to do it.

These other types haven’t an ounce of comedic ability about them. It’s all stuff we can think of in the car on our own.
    Example summer is coming so farmers will be cutting silage expect the two johnnies to do a sketch about lads not making training etc cause their farming etc. Rory’s stories will do some crap about lads not making GAA training cause there drinking cider etc

If it’s is easy how come loads of other people aren’t doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Because they re too busy being bitter bastards on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Probably because it's not particularly funny. Why bother?

As someone else alluded to...It's silage season so I won't make training - cut to lad in pub telling his mates he's not at training cause he told the manager he's drawing silage (hilarity ensues).

It's a warm sunday and everyone is at a BBQ drinking...Oh I won't have another beer cause I've work in the morning and the boss will kill me if I don't turn up. Next morning he's phoning the boss explaining how he got food poisoning at the BBQ and he can't make work.

There's a wedding and he promises the girlfriend he won't go drinking with his mates. 4 hours later he's skulling shots at the bar and she comes over and gives him an earful...His mates look away awkwardly...He gets the next round in and laughs "god they'd do your head in what"... Hilarity ensues.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Homer

Oh Gooooodddddd....the influencers...*vomits*

There was one on the Late Late Show a few weeks back....you can find out who she was from a google or two. Claimed to be 'Ireland's first Social Media Influencer' or as others would call em, Corporate shill who advertises products with a 'oh wow, just stumbled on this fabulous razor/ toothpaste/ teeth whitener' etc...without disclosing it's a paid advert.

The reason I'm not naming her is that twitter was 'abuzz' with an *alleged' story of her wedding a few months back... where it's alleged (probably happened too) she did so much cocaine on her wedding night, she crapped the bed. Yeah, her LLS show appearance was hilarious because of all the stories on twitter.

This is one of the most infuriating thing that's happening in comedy here now-they're tryna capitalise on promoting products, and not on promoting themselves as comics.
    Everyone's trying to get on TV-Tormey included. The 'Farmer Dan' or 'Steve' or whatever the hell he is...he does cross country shows.

What happened to the comedians who tried to be global? Like, funny to everyone, across the world? Dylan Moran managed that, Dara O'Briain did too..Now it's like 'crack England, maybe'... they don't try to be universally funny.
    It's more 'ah, we're Irish-we're hilarious-drop a town name here and there and watch em laugh'.

I have had the misfortune of sitting at the same table as said clown at a wedding, and herself and another guest disappeared every 20 minutes to shove more devils candy up their noses and everybody could see it. Ignorant cnut spend the entire meal with her face in her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Irish comedy is funny but we like to think of ourselves as if we’re somehow like the British with their subtle take on it but it seems to be Irish comedy is just loud and slapstick. I like that humor to be honest but I see Irish people who look down on American comedy as if ours in somehow a higher form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭trashcan

I can’t stand Dara O Briain but I’d rather give him an all over body wax using my tongue to spread the hot wax on his body .......

Well, each to his own I suppose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The world isn’t as funny as it used to be, and comedians realise that being funny can be bad for their career as being funny usually involves being rude, controversial, and irreverent. Can’t be having that with the online mobs waiting to gather.

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Because they re too busy being bitter bastards on here
    Exactly. I believe a few of the posters in this thread think of themselves as "funnymen" themselves. You can tell from their own dire attempts at witty barbs towards the comedians they're slagging, which can always be reduced to comments about someone's weight or appearance. Hilarious. :rolleyes: They're just sickened someone else had the guts to do what they can't.

Of course there are people I don't like. The Rubberbandits for example. But some of the comments in here are from unhealthy, jealous minds without an ounce of real criticism.

Advertisement