Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Jesus Christ upon reading this thread I just remembered a boss I had in about '99 or so brought us to some comediennes she insisted were absolutely brilliant. "The Nualas". Man Alive, the most painful couple of hours of my life. Does anyone remember those losers?

Yeah, absolute dirt. I rather go see a 3 hour Twink concert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yeah, absolute dirt. I rather go see a 3 hour Twink concert.

What would Twink be doing at this concert? Does she have any talents or would it be like an Evening with Twink type night where she regales you with stories of her and Gerry Ryan in the Trocadero in the 80s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What would Twink be doing at this concert? Does she have any talents or would it be like an Evening with Twink type night where she regales you with stories of her and Gerry Ryan in the Trocadero in the 80s?

Oh it's a 3 hour evening of song, dance and sketches. Much like 'an audience with', only the audience is very, very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Alright, cool the heads. Less of the terrible taste, and less of the insults as well please.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Stewart Lee is a genius!!! You just don't get his jokes ........ that's not how you spell Brendan by the way!

you just dont get his jokes, by the way that's not how you spell brendan??

that reply says everything about your brand of comedy!

Why doesn't he get them? cos he's not wearing a beret and carrying a book on impressionism and philosophy..how do you know he doesn't get the jokes?

I agree the common offenders here are all crap but that shyte, ah you just don't get his jokes takes the cake, that is the opitome of snobbish comedy. you probably **** to 70's woody allen films too I suppose yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Stewart Lee is the perfect example of that. Went to see him once and he had a 20 minute routine about George Bush being an idiot but it was all based on something Bush had never actually said but Lee delivered it in his usual dean pan, mocking, snide and sarcastic fashion and so the audience, given that's what they came for, lapped it up.

I can't help thinking that the that prat funny are the type of people that would find him funny are the same type of people that would be in hysterics if they seen someone get corrected for a grammatical error. An intellectual and cultural bully is what I would sum him up as.

Not that sarcasm or satire based material is inherently smug, I don't think it is. Graham Linehan and Chris Morris are geniuses that shone in that sense but they don't have that arsehole smug factor that Lee excels in. Condemn him, or his "jokes" and then his fans will pompously suggest that perhaps one did not get the jokes. Course there can be poor low brow humour also. Bredan O'Carroll a prime example.

Overall I just hate snobbishness I suppose. Many would consider Frank Carson low-brow but he is without question one of the best comedians I ever seen perform and Dara O'Brien one of the worst. The style of comedy is probably not deciding factor on that though. More to do with talent and the lack of it and one being a twat and the other not.
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    Stewart Lee is a genius!!! You just don't get his jokes ........ that's not how you spell Brendan by the way!
    rusty cole wrote: »
    that reply says everything about your brand of comedy!

Why doesn't he get them? cos he's not wearing a beret and carrying a book on impressionism and philosophy..how do you know he doesn't get the jokes?

I agree the common offenders here are all crap but that shyte, ah you just don't get his jokes takes the cake, that is the opitome of snobbish comedy. you probably **** to 70's woody allen films too I suppose yeah!

Eh ........... read his post again (carefully) then read my post again .......... then read his again (really carefully!!) ........... get it?

You eejit!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

topper75 wrote: »
    ... Steve Hughes is amazing, Rich Hall is great, Greg Morton always cracks me up, Stewart Lee's dry humour is impeccably timed and Romesh Ranganathan is worth a mention.

Steve Hughes is funny yes. But I saw one show in Galway where practically the entire second half was a sarcastic U.S/Israel/Pal rant. I was just seconds short of instructing him out loud to get back to the jokes we paid to hear.

Stewart Lee sees himself as some kind of liberal left messiah. I never laughed once at his material.

So those Rubber Bandits, bad as they are, aren't exactly the only guilty ones on that front.

Your general point is solid though. Foot in the door and who cares after that.
    If you paid to hear jokes at a Steve Hughes gig you were at the wrong gig. Also your reaction to the character stew Lee acts out at his gigs is exactly the way he wants you to react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

topper75 wrote: »
    ... Steve Hughes is amazing, Rich Hall is great, Greg Morton always cracks me up, Stewart Lee's dry humour is impeccably timed and Romesh Ranganathan is worth a mention.

Steve Hughes is funny yes. But I saw one show in Galway where practically the entire second half was a sarcastic U.S/Israel/Pal rant. I was just seconds short of instructing him out loud to get back to the jokes we paid to hear.

Stewart Lee sees himself as some kind of liberal left messiah. I never laughed once at his material.

So those Rubber Bandits, bad as they are, aren't exactly the only guilty ones on that front.

Your general point is solid though. Foot in the door and who cares after that.
    If you paid to hear jokes at a Steve Hughes gig you were at the wrong gig. Also your reaction to the character stew Lee acts out at his gigs is exactly the way he wants you to react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Stewart Lee is a genius.

(watch the whole video)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

RayM wrote: »
    Stewart Lee is a genius.

(watch the whole video)

:D:D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

RayM wrote: »
    Stewart Lee is a genius.

(watch the whole video)

I made it to 1 minute 30 and had to stop it. A chomping noise and not 1 word uttered and that's genius? I'll give it a miss thanks, life's too short for that sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

McSavage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I made it to 1 minute 30 and had to stop it. A chomping noise and not 1 word uttered and that's genius? I'll give it a miss thanks, life's too short for that sh!te.

You clearly don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Put any fool on a stage, tell the world he's a comedian and he's a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I was only thinking about this recently, that this is a golden era for stand-up comedians..................................for them! The amount of them, and interest in them is off the charts. We are living in a high quantity, low quality era for comedians. A lot of them are clones of each other, or just little off shoots of them for each minority group. I'm mainly bored of their lack of willingness to rock the boat, and nearly every one of them goes straight to the place where comedy has no place....Donald Trump! They fail to grasp that Trump is so funny that they can't top anything he says, never a good thing for a comedian to be out-joked by a head of state!

One of the key things for me is that I'd have to find them likeable in order to go along with their acts, even if they are funny. Twitter has killed the stand-up, they get high profiles and get overconfident by lecturing the world on its problems, not exactly worth the risk for a career where you need people on your side.

I think some of the lesser respected comedians are hard done by, I'm thinking Fred Cooke and Karl Spain here predominantly. I wouldn't say either were amazing, but Cooke was on the radio recently and I was howling laughing at some of the stuff he was saying. Similarly for Spain he's seemed like such a nice fella anytime I've seen him on TV, I've seen him live once and he put in a very good show. The art of working the crowd is only really appreciated while you're there in the flesh yourself, and it's something too many of these guys don't seem to bother with.

I don't really buy the idea of women being incapable of being funny. Fair enough I've yet to see one that I'd stand over their work and say, you're at the elite level. If anything though I think the ones in UK & Ireland are better than the American female comedians. I don't think there's a single one of them over there that isn't a complete stain! They are also fond of the profile and fronting their political views. Since we are savaging pretty much every comedian I don't see why women should be given a tag for being ****e themselves.

Someone made the point earlier about Mairead Farrell. Great shout, a full of herself yoke, who has no place trying to be funny, and is nowhere near as attractive as she thinks she is. She is definitely part of that group that benefited from the rise of the panel show, and especially so through its need for diversity. Herself and Aiobheann O'S(whatever) and Grainne Seoige......you aren't in comedy, please vacate the seat!

I save a special place of hatred for the Irish comedian who exports his comedy to Britain, then promptly uses Ireland as a vehicle to **** on to further their own careers there! I've seen Bea, O'Briain, and Maxwell do this. Bea and O'Briain were offering up the schtick of being a respected professional in Ireland but you'd do a lower status job in Britain, it's old paddywhackery and they can get ****ed.

Andrew Maxwell - What an arsehole! Not only is he one of those Britlickers, knife the Irish while in Britain gimps, he just gives off an air of faux intellectual nonsense, and he seems like a right arsehole. His delivery is also too much on the side of shouty.

Ed Byrne - not the worst, but I think he is living a frustrated dream of being a musician through his comedy career. He needs to go grow out of his teenage boy body and sort his **** out. I know full well if I met him in person I'd hate myself for getting on well with him.

Dara O'Briain - Seen him a few times, quite funny in places but........wanker.

Katherine Lynch - in every sense of the word, a disaster. A holocaust of comedy! Not surprisingly though she is knee deep in with the tv executives who inexplicably give her airtime and commission her horse**** comedies. No doubt we'll see her age before us on our screens.

Porter - what else do you expect but for him to joke about the working class or the gays. He's got potential though, quite a smart lad too.

Bishop - Seen him a few times. If he cut cut down on the ego, the pontificating and the patronising tone he'd be one of the best. A mixture of excellence and extreme irritation.

Dylan Moran - A cut above. Just superb.

McSavage - I like this guy. He's eccentric and prepared to risk a joke without resorting to toilet humour, his filthy jokes at least have a degree of wit. He seems bitter and resentful at times, but I suspect it's just that he doesn't know how to deal with the nuances of TV executives.

Brendan O'Carroll - comedy for people who don't like comedies. ****ing desperate.

Oliver Callan - I remember disliking the guy almost immediately, and that's many years ago at this stage. He offers nothing different than Rosenstock, who was already established at that stage. His impressions aren't even that great and his content is worse. He is lucky that Katie Hopkins took the attention off him a few weeks back otherwise his disastrous appearance on the LLS would have been a talking point.

David O'Doherty - much like McSavage, he's a guy prepared to do something a bit different in his act. Much like Fred Cooke and Spain also a very likeable guy. I caught his show once by chance and he was great. I met him afterwards too and he was a really sound bloke.

Bridget & Eamonn - I'm just going to lump these two together as they aren't worth the time. Drivel. Maguire just decided to do comedy as she didn't fancy getting a normal job after being on TV for 15 minutes. Her jokes are lazy and her delivery has only one dimension.

It says a lot though that a lot of these guys end up doing quite well in the UK. However much our guys have a tendency for the dull or being unlikable, the Brits have a far worse catalogue per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Ed McSavage
    Jason Byrne
    PJ Gallagher...though I used to like his comedy show.
    I'm not sure if you'd class her as a comedian but Jennifer McGuire. I actually have a severe aversion to her. And that eejit she does that Eamonn and Rita or whatever it's called show with.
    Ed Byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

What's worrying is a lot of who've seen it in the UK think Bridget and Eamon is *contemporary* Ireland rather than what it actually is : a send up of 1980s Ireland.

It's the same with Moon Boy a lot of people I know in England didn't seem to comprehend that it was meant to be in the early 1990s and not now.

Dylan Moran can be outstanding. Dara O'Briain is a bit...harmless. The rest are dirge. That Aisling Bea is excruciatingly unfunny. Thankfully I don't see much of Porter, Jason Byrne, Des Bishop etc. these days.

Then again, I'd have to think hard for comedians I like. Mitch Hedberg was brilliant, sadly died far too young. Sean Lock can be great. Love David Mitchell but he doesn't do stand up, unfortunately.

What's worrying is a lot of who've seen it in the UK think Bridget and Eamon is *contemporary* Ireland rather than what it actually is : a send up of 1980s Ireland.

It's the same with Moon Boy a lot of people I know in England didn't seem to comprehend that it was meant to be in the early 1990s and not now.

The 5 min Bridget and Eamon sketches on ROT a couple of years were excellent because they were simple caricatures. Now, 5 minutes of laughter is packed into 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I'm probably on my own on this but I actually find Maeve Higgins funny, I know most of her jokes are stupid but thats part of the appeal. Just something about her delivery. I definitely think she is funnier in interviews etc where its more conversational.

One thing I did not like was her show on RTE but RTE would suck the life out of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

not very many mentioning Delamere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Mairead Farrell is another product of the RTE "star" factory that hasn't got an ounce of talent, not even a gram. Incredibly smug and self satisfied, no surprise I suppose, she was spawned by Ray Darcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Mairead Farrell is another product of the RTE "star" factory that hasn't got an ounce of talent, not even a gram. Incredibly smug and self satisfied, no surprise I suppose, she was spawned by Ray Darcy.

Since when is she a comedian??

I so would though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

ligerdub wrote: »
    I was only thinking about this recently, that this is a golden era for stand-up comedians..................................for them! The amount of them, and interest in them is off the charts. We are living in a high quantity, low quality era for comedians. A lot of them are clones of each other, or just little off shoots of them for each minority group. I'm mainly bored of their lack of willingness to rock the boat, and nearly every one of them goes straight to the place where comedy has no place....Donald Trump! They fail to grasp that Trump is so funny that they can't top anything he says, never a good thing for a comedian to be out-joked by a head of state!

One of the key things for me is that I'd have to find them likeable in order to go along with their acts, even if they are funny. Twitter has killed the stand-up, they get high profiles and get overconfident by lecturing the world on its problems, not exactly worth the risk for a career where you need people on your side.

I think some of the lesser respected comedians are hard done by, I'm thinking Fred Cooke and Karl Spain here predominantly. I wouldn't say either were amazing, but Cooke was on the radio recently and I was howling laughing at some of the stuff he was saying. Similarly for Spain he's seemed like such a nice fella anytime I've seen him on TV, I've seen him live once and he put in a very good show. The art of working the crowd is only really appreciated while you're there in the flesh yourself, and it's something too many of these guys don't seem to bother with.

I don't really buy the idea of women being incapable of being funny. Fair enough I've yet to see one that I'd stand over their work and say, you're at the elite level. If anything though I think the ones in UK & Ireland are better than the American female comedians. I don't think there's a single one of them over there that isn't a complete stain! They are also fond of the profile and fronting their political views. Since we are savaging pretty much every comedian I don't see why women should be given a tag for being ****e themselves.

Someone made the point earlier about Mairead Farrell. Great shout, a full of herself yoke, who has no place trying to be funny, and is nowhere near as attractive as she thinks she is. She is definitely part of that group that benefited from the rise of the panel show, and especially so through its need for diversity. Herself and Aiobheann O'S(whatever) and Grainne Seoige......you aren't in comedy, please vacate the seat!

I save a special place of hatred for the Irish comedian who exports his comedy to Britain, then promptly uses Ireland as a vehicle to **** on to further their own careers there! I've seen Bea, O'Briain, and Maxwell do this. Bea and O'Briain were offering up the schtick of being a respected professional in Ireland but you'd do a lower status job in Britain, it's old paddywhackery and they can get ****ed.

Andrew Maxwell - What an arsehole! Not only is he one of those Britlickers, knife the Irish while in Britain gimps, he just gives off an air of faux intellectual nonsense, and he seems like a right arsehole. His delivery is also too much on the side of shouty.

Ed Byrne - not the worst, but I think he is living a frustrated dream of being a musician through his comedy career. He needs to go grow out of his teenage boy body and sort his **** out. I know full well if I met him in person I'd hate myself for getting on well with him.

Katherine Lynch - in every sense of the word, a disaster. A holocaust of comedy! Not surprisingly though she is knee deep in with the tv executives who inexplicably give her airtime and commission her horse**** comedies. No doubt we'll see her age before us on our screens.

Porter - what else do you expect but for him to joke about the working class or the gays. He's got potential though, quite a smart lad too.

Bishop - Seen him a few times. If he cut cut down on the ego, the pontificating and the patronising tone he'd be one of the best. A mixture of excellence and extreme irritation.

McSavage - I like this guy. He's eccentric and prepared to risk a joke without resorting to toilet humour, his filthy jokes at least have a degree of wit. He seems bitter and resentful at times, but I suspect it's just that he doesn't know how to deal with the nuances of TV executives.

Brendan O'Carroll - comedy for people who don't like comedies. ****ing desperate.

Oliver Callan - I remember disliking the guy almost immediately, and that's many years ago at this stage. He offers nothing different than Rosenstock, who was already established at that stage. His impressions aren't even that great and his content is worse. He is lucky that Katie Hopkins took the attention off him a few weeks back otherwise his disastrous appearance on the LLS would have been a talking point.

David O'Doherty - much like McSavage, he's a guy prepared to do something a bit different in his act. Much like Fred Cooke and Spain also a very likeable guy. I caught his show once by chance and he was great. I met him afterwards too and he was a really sound bloke.

Bridget & Eamonn - I'm just going to lump these two together as they aren't worth the time. Drivel. Maguire just decided to do comedy as she didn't fancy getting a normal job after being on TV for 15 minutes. Her jokes are lazy and her delivery has only one dimension.

It says a lot though that a lot of these guys end up doing quite well in the UK. However much our guys have a tendency for the dull or being unlikable, the Brits have a far worse catalogue per capita.

Jesus you re some Yawn:eek:

deco nate wrote: »
    Since when is she a comedian??

She isnt but somehow was on the Panel back in the mid to late noughties with other comedians/comediennes. Hate that tool Andrew Maxwell. He's like Bob Geldofs annoying useless little brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Dannyriver wrote: »

I don't think you should have quoted that post Dannyriver, it's too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Dannyriver wrote: »

I had to rein it in.....I didn't want to overdo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Oliver Callan - I remember disliking the guy almost immediately, and that's many years ago at this stage. He offers nothing different

Quantity not quality defines the current Irish comedy scene. Way too much emphasis placed on stuff like imitating Enda Kenny and the like. Oliver Callan is a prime exponent of this jaded form of comedy. Imitating politicians may have been funny 15-20 years ago but now it is just way too commonplace and too easy an option for would be comedians.

Mrs Brown has also become jaded. Brendan O'Carroll was doing it for years with mixed success but suddenly in early 2011 it caught the imagination of an Irish public hungry for escapism from all the then negative economic programmes and the then recent abysmal weather of late 2010. Ever since RTE have milked Mrs Brown for what it is worth and though the early series was funny and likeable recent Christmas specials have been very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Mrs Brown has also become jaded. Brendan O'Carroll was doing it for years with mixed success but suddenly in early 2011 it caught the imagination of an Irish public hungry for escapism from all the then negative economic programmes and the then recent abysmal weather of late 2010. Ever since RTE have milked Mrs Brown for what it is worth and though the early series was funny and likeable recent Christmas specials have been very poor.

Mrs Brown appeals to be he slack jawed point and laugh crowd. They will always find it funny.

Advertisement