If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receiver

Options
  • 24-11-2016 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm considering replacing my AV receiver because it doesn't support HDMI audio, and it seems many devices don't have digitial audio out these days (I'm thinking specifically about my kindle fire tv which i use for kodi). See this thread for more details. I actually bought the one I have off you guys 7 years ago, so it's lasted well. Here's the thread from back then! I got SFX 5.1 speakers, so I'd like something compatible with those. I had been hoping for something less bulky than I have now, but having googled it just now, it seems AV receivers haven't moved on much in that regard?!

Anyway, let me know what you've got. I don't actually use it a whole lot, so I'd be looking at something on the lower end of the scale.

THanks,

Ronan

PS: with the existing setup, i've found it isn't very loud. I often have to put the receiver up to the absolute max. Is that the speakers or the receiver?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi and apologies for the delay and 1st the volume issue... there must be something awry in your system if you have to put your AVR up to full volume and we would NEVER recommend pushing any amp or speakers to their max capacity as you are really just producing distortion and you will 110% damage either the amp or the speakers or generally both!

I don't know what sources you are using but unless your system is already critically damaged I would suspect that the output levels from your source is set too low and you are essentially amplifying white noise ( but I could be wrong!)

On to replacements - you are correct in that AV amps are still generally bulky - they have actually probably got fatter since you purchased your Onkyo 7 years ago, but they contain far more kit now and generally  they are a whole lot more powerful - which of course means that the transformers and cooling fans have to be larger so even though tech generally gets smaller most AVR's have to get rid of the heat somehow!

If you are looking for a decent budget AVR I'd recommend the Denon AVRX520 which has now been reduced to £199 / €249:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201463-avrx520bt.aspx

If you can step-up its big brother - the Denon AVRX2300 is an all around award winner and has multiple HDMi inputs with 4K pass through - its reduced to £469 now but if yuo are interested I can do you a Boardie special ;) :
    http://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x2300w/review

If you are interested just drop me a line and I'll PM you some pricing,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks John. I'm going to hold off for the moment, but I'll be checking out your January sales!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

RonnieL wrote: »
    Thanks John. I'm going to hold off for the moment, but I'll be checking out your January sales!
    Ho Problem at all RonnieL.

Should anything catch your eye just drop us a post.

Hi Kenny,

Just following up on this. Still thinking about getting a new AV receiver, but need to keep it fairly cheap/entry level. Would you still be recommending the denon? Anything else that's been reduced since maybe?

Thanks!

Ronan

PS: I noticed the TXSR252 on your site for 149 is about the cheapest. would you recommend the denon over that?

Hi Kenny,

Just following up on this. Still thinking about getting a new AV receiver, but need to keep it fairly cheap/entry level. Would you still be recommending the denon? Anything else that's been reduced since maybe?

Thanks!

Ronan

PS: I noticed the TXSR252 on your site for 149 is about the cheapest. would you recommend the denon over that?
    Hey RonnieL.

In my opinion the Denon is a better receiver but the Onkyo 252 is still a decent entry level unit and does what it needs to do for the money.

We sell hundreds of the Denon units based on the 5 star review the 2300 got.

Hope this helps a little.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm back again!

I've held off repeatedly on this, but the original Onkyo I had is terminally ill. I couldn't justify the repair bill. The kind man in Lawless Brothers in Malahide promised to give it a decent burial.

So, what are my options for a new 5.1 receiver?

Is there such a thing as an AV receiver with google chromecast built in? My kids had been using the old one to play music, via a google home mini with a chromecast audio plugged in. I could obviously continue to do that, but if there was such a thing I might go for it.

THanks!

Ok, I'm back again!

I've held off repeatedly on this, but the original Onkyo I had is terminally ill. I couldn't justify the repair bill. The kind man in Lawless Brothers in Malahide promised to give it a decent burial.

Is there such a thing as an AV receiver with google chromecast built in? My kids had been using the old one to play music, via a google home mini with a chromecast audio plugged in. I could obviously continue to do that, but if there was such a thing I might go for it.

THanks!
    Hi RonnieL.

Sorry to hear that your Onkyo has given up.

There is the Pioneer VSX932 priced at £329.00 which has chromecast 
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202614-vsx932.aspx

Denon AVRX2400 should also be looked at (No chromecast) priced at £349.00 (5 star reviewed What HiFi)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-13044-avrx2400.aspx

Sony have their STRDN1080 priced at £459.00 also has Chromecast built in.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-strdn1080.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Ok, I'm back again!

THanks!
    Hi RonnieL.

Denon AVRX2400 should also be looked at (No chromecast) priced at £349.00 (5 star reviewed What HiFi)

Thanks Kenny.

Interesting! If we forget about the chromecast for the moment, what would be your most budget friendly receiver recommendation? I know there was a denon suggested back when I started this thread. Anything around that mark?

Finally, what would be the story with warranty and also delivery charge to Galway?

Ok, I'm back again!

THanks!
    Hi RonnieL.

Thanks Kenny.

Interesting! If we forget about the chromecast for the moment, what would be your most budget friendly receiver recommendation? I know there was a denon suggested back when I started this thread. Anything around that mark?

Finally, what would be the story with warranty and also delivery charge to Galway?
    Hi RonnieL,

If you are looking for a good budget amp like the Denon above it has been replaced with the Denon AVRX540BT which is a great amp at 279 euro.

The warranty on the Denon is 2 years. You can extend this to 6 years for 27.90 euro and shipping to Galway is free.

Kind regards

David

Thanks David.
    Sorry for the back and forth. Is the Pioneer VSX932 priced in sterling at 329? I see it on amazon.co.uk for 299, and they have one in the warehouse for 284. Do ye match? Also, what would the warranty be on that one? My old receiver was 5.1, am I correct in assuming it'll be ok to just use those speakers even though the pioneer is a 7.2?

• Advertisement

Thanks David.
    Sorry for the back and forth. Is the Pioneer VSX932 priced in sterling at 329? I see it on amazon.co.uk for 299, and they have one in the warehouse for 284. Do ye match? Also, what would the warranty be on that one? My old receiver was 5.1, am I correct in assuming it'll be ok to just use those speakers even though the pioneer is a 7.2?
    Hi RonnieL,

We are also doing the Pioneer VSX932 at £299 with £6.99 shipping to ROI.

Kind regards

David

Thanks David.
    What's the warranty on the Pioneer? And would I be ok using my 5.1 speakers with it?
    Ronan

Thanks David.
    What's the warranty on the Pioneer? And would I be ok using my 5.1 speakers with it?
    Ronan
    Hi Ronan,

The warranty on the Pioneer is 1 year (again this can be extended for £29.90 for 6 years) and you would be absolutely fine using the Tannoy SFX kit.

Kind regards

David

I'm going to go with the Pioneer. I'd prefer to give you the business than amazon. Can you match their free delivery?

I'll take the extended warranty too. What's the number to ring to pay etc?

I'm going to go with the Pioneer. I'd prefer to give you the business than amazon. Can you match their free delivery?

I'll take the extended warranty too. What's the number to ring to pay etc?
    Hi RonnieL.

I can drop the shipping charge for you :)

If you PM me your contact number we can give you a call.

Cheers. PM sent :)

Hi RonnieL.

We will call you ASAP.

Hi RonnieL.

We will call you ASAP.
    Thanks!

Hi RonnieL.

We will call you ASAP.
    Thanks!
    Hi RonnieL.

Thanks for the order.

Hi RonnieL.

We will call you ASAP.
    Thanks!
    Hi RonnieL.

Thanks for the order.
    No bother, thanks for the patience!

• Advertisement

Hi RonnieL.

We will call you ASAP.
    Thanks!
    Hi RonnieL.

Thanks for the order.
    No bother, thanks for the patience!
    You are more than welcome RonnieL.

Quick update, mainly for anyone else who might be googling the Pioneer VSX932, particularly for the chromecast functionality.

Mine arrived safe and sound and I'm generally very happy with it. The sound is great, and for watching movies/sport etc I'm delighted.

However, one of the main reasons I bought this particular unit was the "chromecast built in" feature, as I intended to configure it as the default speaker for the google home mini I have in the same room. My kids (especially the 4 year old who can't read yet) had gotten used to being able to say "ok google, play some rock and roll", and having spotify blast Thunderstruck for him through the surround sound speakers. Unfortunately the chromecast support in the VSX932 is flaky at best. The receiver doesn't show up in the list of speakers when I try to reconfigure the mini to use it as the default speaker. I tried a workaround by creating a new speaker group, and specifying that, but when I play music the sound doesn't play, despite the title etc being displayed on the screen of the receiver. It's very hard to know if this is a pioneer issue, a google home issue, or a spotify issue. I'm hopeful it'll get resolved in time through software/firmware updates. First world problems I know, but still a bit disappointing.

Quick update, mainly for anyone else who might be googling the Pioneer VSX932, particularly for the chromecast functionality.

Mine arrived safe and sound and I'm generally very happy with it. The sound is great, and for watching movies/sport etc I'm delighted.

However, one of the main reasons I bought this particular unit was the "chromecast built in" feature, as I intended to configure it as the default speaker for the google home mini I have in the same room. My kids (especially the 4 year old who can't read yet) had gotten used to being able to say "ok google, play some rock and roll", and having spotify blast Thunderstruck for him through the surround sound speakers. Unfortunately the chromecast support in the VSX932 is flaky at best. The receiver doesn't show up in the list of speakers when I try to reconfigure the mini to use it as the default speaker. I tried a workaround by creating a new speaker group, and specifying that, but when I play music the sound doesn't play, despite the title etc being displayed on the screen of the receiver. It's very hard to know if this is a pioneer issue, a google home issue, or a spotify issue. I'm hopeful it'll get resolved in time through software/firmware updates. First world problems I know, but still a bit disappointing.
    Hi RonnieL.

Glad you got the unit it time and are up and running.
    Sorry to hear you seem to be having some teething problems.

You could perhaps drop Pioneer a call and see if there is anything they might be able to shine a light on. 

Hi RonnieL.

You could perhaps drop Pioneer a call and see if there is anything they might be able to shine a light on. 
    Thanks I might give that a try when I get a chance. I'll post back here if I have any success!

Hi RonnieL.

Thanks I might give that a try when I get a chance. I'll post back here if I have any success!
    No problem RonnieL.

Let me know the out come.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.