Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man clocked doing 218km on a motorcycle fined €550

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm always astounded people going at that rate of knots manage to get stopped, especially a bike that can be up and gone in no time at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm always astounded people going at that rate of knots manage to get stopped, especially a bike that can be up and gone in no time at all.

Know what you mean but you must assume they have you on camera. Meaning you'd only make it worse.

Know what you mean but you must assume they have you on camera. Meaning you'd only make it worse.

You see a lot of bikes obscure their number plate with the tax disc, for this very reason I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

MarkR wrote: »
    So much for that old chestnut about anything over a hundred getting a ban.

But he was "only" 98 over:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I wonder was he a looker? :D
    Hasmunch wrote: »
    But he was "only" 98 over:pac:

Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.There was something on the net about levels of messing on the road, from "careful now", right up to "Here now, you're taking the piss"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Unless you drive without a helmet, they only have a picture of a bike and a biker, not a face. Not enough of an evidence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

€550 for doing 98km/h over the limit.
    Absolute bargain.

Considering ppl get an €80 fine for doing 9 km/h over the limit.

Can we move this to BARGAIN ALERTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Mr Keane's solicitor told the court his client had no previous convictions, and that he had not intended nor realised he had been traveling at such a speed.

Blimey....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Blimey....

Quite feasable, depending on what he was riding - Fireblade, ZX10R, R1 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭GustavoGaviria

GSX-R looks like, probably comfortably cruising when he got caught. In fairness most them bikes will crest that speed making a simple overtake. He most likely pulled in having spotted speed trap.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/801388098928132096

GSX-R looks like...

Were there Gixxer models with underseat exhausts? I'd have thought a Fireblade from a couple of years back. I concur on the "comfortably cruising"! :D

Sure there's no plate on the back of the bike?

I can't imagine they'd go to massive lengths to catch him (except possibly wait for him to re-appear, but if seen a Garda coming, im sure he'd be aware to just slow down in future in the area).

I wouldn't encourage speeding, etc. especially on a bike where you're one sneeze away from life in a wheelchair, but I can't really understand why he stopped. If he had no previous convictions surely a talking to on the side of the road would have scared him right, rather than arresting him and making a song and dance out of it for a €550 fine? Seems hard on all involved (not just the biker, but the Garda that spent time dealing with it).

That said, if i had to guess the outcome, before I knew it, I'd have presumed a short driving ban or such. But as others have said, the bike is probably more than capable of that speed comfortably, and it was surely on a motorway, so I don't think it's as dangerous as it sounds (albeit, not something I'd be planning to do myself!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

An eagle eyed twitter user noticed that @GardaTraffic posted the same report with photos on October 10:
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/785396256424206336

Six weeks from being stopped to court date seems suspiciously quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

The whole I didnt realise or intend to go that fast is complete nonsense. He has speedo he knew well how fast he was going and did give two f00ks!

Mr Keane's solicitor told the court his client had no previous convictions, and that he had not intended nor realised he had been traveling at such a speed.
    If you don't know what speed you are doing then you should not be in charge of a vehicle. I'd love to see judges clamp down hard on that BS excuse. The woman doing 187kph used a similar excuse ("didn't realise how fast I was going"). Total lies both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

grogi wrote: »
    Unless you drive without a helmet, they only have a picture of a bike and a biker, not a face. Not enough of an evidence...

Have always wondered how a prosecution would/could proceed against the defence 'wasn't me your honour, someone must have cloned my reg'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

daymobrew wrote: »
    If you don't know what speed you are doing then you should not be in charge of a vehicle. I'd love to see judges clamp down hard on that BS excuse. The woman doing 187kph used a similar excuse ("didn't realise how fast I was going"). Total lies both of them.

I don't agree. If folk can sit in the outside lane of the M50 with a squad car in their rear view mirror all lights a blazing and siren going (forcing the cops to undertake them) without moving, then they can stray into silly speeds equally oblivious. However I actually think admitting you did it unknowingly is an even bigger crime. Paying that little attention to your driving is totally unforgivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

So, if speed kills, how come nobody died?

Have always wondered how a prosecution would/could proceed against the defence 'wasn't me your honour, someone must have cloned my reg'.

You have to admit to something...

"I admit - it is my bike. I just don't know who was driving it"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

FortySeven wrote: »

No, it's the sudden stop!

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I don't agree. If folk can sit in the outside lane of the M50 with a squad car in their rear view mirror all lights a blazing and siren going (forcing the cops to undertake them) without moving, then they can stray into silly speeds equally oblivious. However I actually think admitting you did it unknowingly is an even bigger crime. Paying that little attention to your driving is totally unforgivable.
    You have a point that one may not be aware of what speed one is doing, though I find it very hard to believe in these circumstances - if there are other cars on the road then the speeder's speed relative to the other cars should have caused the driver to have a wee glance at the speedometer.

Having said that, I will stick with my initial statement: If you don't know what speed you are doing then you should not be in charge of a vehicle.

You have to admit to something...

"I admit - it is my bike. I just don't know who was driving it"...
    The biker was stopped. He can't deny that he didn't know who was riding it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I will give the excuse "I didn't realise what speed I was doing" in a car but no chance on a bike. I have been told by mates at high speed on a bike you definitely know you are going fast. I haven't done high speed on a bike but I have done high speed in a bike powered single seater and I knew I was moving fast.

Thing is, a modern superbike like an R1 or Fireblade is built with ferocious speed in mind and nothing but. The thing doesn't even start to work properly and fully until you're well over the ton. It is perfectly possible to be cruising at 120 or so on a motorway and be no more aware of the machine's speed than at 80.

jimgoose wrote: »
    It is perfectly possible to be cruising at 120 or so on a motorway and be no more aware of the machine's speed than at 80.
    The wind would make you very aware.
    When I lived in California I had a ZZR-600 (not a ZX-6R). On a very quiet freeway I brought it up to 100mph (160kph). Despite being tucked in, the force of wind against me made me very aware that I was bombing it.

The wind would make you very aware.
    When I lived in California I had a ZZR-600 (not a ZX-6R). On a very quiet freeway I brought it up to 100mph (160kph). Despite being tucked in, the force of wind against me made me very aware that I was bombing it.

Hmm. Back in the day I used to cruise at ~120 on the old N4 on a YZF750SP. The thing was practically responding to that by saying "That all you have? Gaaarn yer woofter!!". The wind effect was minimal enough - better screen, I guess. I also had full armour and a very expensive helmet.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup I have done over 240kph and I was practically deaf and even the slightest head movement resulted in the airflow pushing your head around.
    I always wore ear plugs and had an attachment at the base of the helmet to further reduce noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Quite feasable, depending on what he was riding - Fireblade, ZX10R, R1 etc.

Really?
    Driving without due care and attention or indeed dangerous driving is how it looks ti me.

Sure there's no plate on the back of the bike?

Plate is underneath the exhaust. Cops blacked it out

kippy wrote: »
    Really?
    Driving without due care and attention or indeed dangerous driving is how it looks ti me.

Dangerous by the word of the law, sure. But lacking attention? Bikers are substantially more attentive than other road users.

• Advertisement

Really?

Anyone on a superbike with afterburners lit who is not deploying care and attention won't be doing it for long before being scraped into a matchbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

FortySeven wrote: »

Shame on all those 120/130km/hr drivers holding him up, do they not realise the danger they are by going so slow?

What a joke, impound the bike, a 10 year ban and re-sit test...valuable lesson learned then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Plate is underneath the exhaust. Cops blacked it out

Dangerous by the word of the law, sure. But lacking attention? Bikers are substantially more attentive than other road users.

The guy admitted to not being aware of the speed he was doing.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Shame on all those 120/130km/hr drivers holding him up, do they not realise the danger they are by going so slow?

What a joke, impound the bike, a 10 year ban and re-sit test...valuable lesson learned then.
    there comes a point where you lose all control of a situation. If bikers got banned for 10 years for speeding do you think the gardai would ever catch a single bike again for the rest of eternity? Not alive they wouldn't.

So you can dream on.

If that had happened I would have gone out and bought a track pre injection r1 for 1400 euro and done 270 just to spite you and gob****es like you who have a hard-on for punishing others

he admitted he had not intended on doing nor was he aware of the extent of the speed he was doing. He was aware he was speeding enough to pull over instantly when he saw blue lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Gavman84 wrote: »
    The whole I didnt realise or intend to go that fast is complete nonsense. He has speedo he knew well how fast he was going and did give two f00ks!

At that speed, your eyes would be firmly planted on what's ahead of you and not on the speedo.

• Advertisement

If that had happened I would have gone out and bought a track pre injection r1 for 1400 euro and done 270 just to spite you and gob****es like you who have a hard-on for punishing others
    Not for punishing those speeding but protecting the innocent people that such irresponsible drivers/riders may injure or maim. It's like smoking - go ahead and do it but don't harm innocent me with the second hand smoke.

As opposed to "Judge I sit and +100mph plus every evening on my way home. This time I got caught, my bad."

Not for punishing those speeding but protecting the innocent people that such irresponsible drivers/riders may injure or maim. It's like smoking - go ahead and do it but don't harm innocent me with the second hand smoke.

You're projecting something else onto this situation. If you agree that the biker should have been banned for 10 years then I have nothing to say to you because you and I are on totally different planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bullshít.
    At 218km an hour he's travelling 60 metres a second.
    I've done 220km in my car before and believe me..you're very very aware of the speed you're travelling at as one silly mistake in a fraction of a second is enough to splatter your or someone else all over the road.
    He mightn't had the exact speed but this guy knew he was over the 200km per hour mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Were there Gixxer models with underseat exhausts? I'd have thought a Fireblade from a couple of years back. I concur on the "comfortably cruising"! :D

tis a zx6r methinks..! 05/06 model , so 636cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Blazer wrote: »
    Bullshít.
    At 218km an hour he's travelling 60 metres a second.
    I've done 220km in my car before and believe me..you're very very aware of the speed you're travelling at as one silly mistake in a fraction of a second is enough to splatter your or someone else all over the road.
    He mightn't had the exact speed but this guy knew he was over the 200km per hour mark.

Go directly to jail, so not pass GO. :D

Speeding on a motorway, a lot has to taken into consideration.
    Weather, other traffic, manner of driving (swerving between cars, undertaking etc)

If the weather was good, and there was no other traffic, it's hardly the crime of the century.

I'm a firm believer of a graduated fine system, and zero points.

The bigger % over the limit, the bigger the fine.
    But points don't work, they just clog up the courts with ppl contesting the ticket, and claiming the postman never delivered the letter.

Unpaid fines to be deducted at source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pa990 wrote: »
    Go directly to jail, so not pass GO. :D

Speeding on a motorway, a lot has to taken into consideration.
    Weather, other traffic, manner of driving (swerving between cars, undertaking etc)

If the weather was good, and there was no other traffic, it's hardly the crime of the century.

I'm a firm believer of a graduated fine system, and zero points.

The bigger % over the limit, the bigger the fine.
    But points don't work, they just clog up the courts with ppl contesting the ticket, and claiming the postman never delivered the letter.

Unpaid fines to be deducted at source.

They have something like that in Denmark isn't it?
    But based on your wages..the more you earn the more of a fine you pay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302161/Swedish-driver-gets-worlds-largest-speeding-fine-180mph-chase.html

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/the-most-expensive-and-biggest-speeding-tickets-ever

You're projecting something else onto this situation. If you agree that the biker should have been banned for 10 years then I have nothing to say to you because you and I are on totally different planets.

Yep different planet alright....You are a moron with your punish me buddy and i'll throw my toy outa the pram too attitude.

You're trying to justify lunatic speeding. The guy claims he didn't realise he was doing it...B*llsh*t! What would happen if he had have hit something at 218km/hr??

The real problem is the law lets these idiots away with it. If he lost his bike and his licence he'd have a bit more respect for other motorists!

Oh and if you're not aware of the speed you're doing then you're not paying enough attention.

there comes a point where you lose all control of a situation. If bikers got banned for 10 years for speeding do you think the gardai would ever catch a single bike again for the rest of eternity? Not alive they wouldn't.

So you can dream on.

https://www.joe.ie/news/gardai-arrest-motorist-thats-possibly-irelands-worst-speeding-offender/568660

Should this guy get a slap on the wrist too? He was only doing twice the limit after all

Ginger83 wrote: »
    https://www.joe.ie/news/gardai-arrest-motorist-thats-possibly-irelands-worst-speeding-offender/568660

Should this guy get a slap on the wrist too? He was only doing twice the limit after all

Motorway was completely empty (everyone was shopping) and in good condition. At 4PM it wasn't freezing, no rain snow nor fog. He probably had visibility of 1km ahead.

Still unbelievably moronic to go that fast...

Motorway was completely empty (everyone was shopping) and in good condition. At 4PM it wasn't freezing, no rain snow nor fog. He probably had visibility of 1km ahead.

Still unbelievably moronic to go that fast...

Ok that would decrease the risk but other factors to consider, what if a tyre blew out or an animal crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

UK reg Ferrari 458 apparently. 238km/h on a road you can see at least 1km in front of you. Seen much more 'dangerous driving' on back roads. Wish the Gardai would police that instead of easy pickings

AMGer wrote: »
    UK reg Ferrari 458 apparently. 238km/h on a road you can see at least 1km in front of you. Seen much more 'dangerous driving' on back roads. Wish the Gardai would police that instead of easy pickings

Weather conditions dont justify idiocy, that speed deserves a ban.

Advertisement