Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find property for sale apart from the obvious websites

Options
  • 24-11-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi, My wife and I have been house hunting in a particular area for about a year now. Is there any other way to find properties for sale apart from Daft/Myhome/donedeal? We are checking daily and very little suitable is coming available

We have already left our details with auctioneers in the area, and have viewed probably 7 or so houses. Has anyone ever put an ad in a local paper looking to buy a house?
    We are bidding on one at the moment but there is a lot of interest in it and the auctioneer thinks it 'will drag on for a while'. We're just getting tired of it all now, and would like to finalise something fairly soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ad in a newspaper would be nigh on useless. Nobody sells their home that way.
    Continue on with Auctioneers just so you are on their books not saying that they will always contact you but its good to be on the books.

Your just in a grin and bear it stage. Something will come up its the same for everyone there is no quick magic bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you're cheeky enough, you could do up a flyer to tell owners you are interested in buying their house if they are thinking of selling. Drop it in the letterboxes of houses in the area that interest you. The estate agents have been known to do something similar. Only a month ago, I got a leaflet in the door from a local EA to say they have buyers lined up for my house. Obviously the neighbours got them too, but might be worth a shot. Would cut out EA fees if you found a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

goz83 wrote: »
    If you're cheeky enough, you could do up a flyer to tell owners you are interested in buying their house if they are thinking of selling. Drop it in the letterboxes of houses in the area that interest you. The estate agents have been known to do something similar. Only a month ago, I got a leaflet in the door from a local EA to say they have buyers lined up for my house. Obviously the neighbours got them too, but might be worth a shot. Would cut out EA fees if you found a seller.

These are widely ignored. It would be a waste of money rather than cheeky.

listermint wrote: »
    These are widely ignored. It would be a waste of money rather than cheeky.

From estate agents, I agree. If it's something a bit more focused, it might have a bit of luck. If I was thinking about selling my house and I received such a letter, I would certainly consider it before paying EA fees and commission. After an independent valuation, I don't see why this wouldn't/couldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Walk the areas that you are interested in & you will be the first to see signs going up on houses. I have noticed that the sign can go up a few days before the house is advertised online.

If there are any properties for sale in the area - go to a viewing, even if you are not interested in that specific property - chat to the estate agent and they may have more properties coming up in the area. That happened us a few times - we were focused on one area and went to all viewings, told the EA that it was not what we were looking for (after viewing obviously) but said the area interested us. We knew a few properties were coming onto the market before others as a result.

But like said above - if you really want a certain area you just need to wait. We really wanted one area and it was a well established residential area with very little coming onto the market....it was a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

goz83 wrote: »
    From estate agents, I agree. If it's something a bit more focused, it might have a bit of luck. If I was thinking about selling my house and I received such a letter, I would certainly consider it before paying EA fees and commission. After an independent valuation, I don't see why this wouldn't/couldn't work.

I would happily pay 1.25% commission to an EA knowing that I achieved the best price possible. I know from experience independent valuation is just a valuation, it is not what the market perceives as value. I know a ton of borrowers who were only delighted to get the banks to value their homes by independent valuers, as they always tended to undervalue their the houses.

Look at an IPO. The investment values the company at one price, yet the market values it at completely different price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try Adverts.ie but I'd go with a flyer in the door, there are bound to be empty house where the owners have died and their family want a simple straight forward sale. You could easily get 4 flyers to an A4 sheet and hit 60 house in half an hour each.

Look make the flyers, head out early do an estate or two then go for a nice cooked breakfast in a cafe, time much better spent than going from open viewings..... We get the odd flyer from EA's if it didn't work they wouldn't do it

Look for houses that appear to be empty and a bit tired if you can ask the neighbors about them too.

Try Adverts.ie but I'd go with a flyer in the door, there are bound to be empty house where the owners have died and their family want a simple straight forward sale. You could easily get 4 flyers to an A4 sheet and hit 60 house in half an hour each.

Look make the flyers, head out early do an estate or two then go for a nice cooked breakfast in a cafe, time much better spent than going from open viewings..... We get the odd flyer from EA's if it didn't work they wouldn't do it

Look for houses that appear to be empty and a bit tired if you can ask the neighbors about them too.
    I imagine estate agents flyers are more to get sellers to use them over their rivals rather than to prompt people to sell.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I would happily pay 1.25% commission to an EA knowing that I achieved the best price possible. I know from experience independent valuation is just a valuation, it is not what the market perceives as value. I know a ton of borrowers who were only delighted to get the banks to value their homes by independent valuers, as they always tended to undervalue their the houses.

Look at an IPO. The investment values the company at one price, yet the market values it at completely different price.

I said independent valuation, not bank valuation. Invite a couple of Estate Agents to value it and go with the price that sits most comfortably. Too many stories of agents selling to people they know...and holding asking and above asking price offers without notifying the seller. Not all sellers want to deal with estate agents.
    I imagine estate agents flyers are more to get sellers to use them over their rivals rather than to prompt people to sell.

I suspect they are to get the tyre kickers over the line. Many people just need a little push to make a phone call and then they turn from procrastinator to seller.

Advertisement