Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xshifter - wireless gear shifting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've often wondered if it's possible to connect wireless shifters and cadence monitors to create an automatic gearbox effect on your bike.
    i.e. if your cadence falls to below a threshold, the bike would automatically select the easier gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great idea maybe, if you have really weak hands or just like the electronic shifting sound.

But you still get all of the downsides of a mechanical system, no? It's still pulling a cable by a fixed increment, or does it have some form of feedback to know if it isn't in the right gear?

You need to change cables
    You still have cables! So, not maintenance free.

I dunno, it doesn't remove the above, which is really crucial to proper shifting...and really the cornerstone of electronic shifting: it's 100% reliable all the time in any weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would have thought a small piston could be used for the front derailleur, acting like the cable pull only it pushes from underneath, rather than pulling from overhead and therefore removes the need for cable replacement. As for the rear derailleur, I can't think of a simple replacement there but presumably you could do the same, only the derailleur would have to be able to take the weight of the piston. Could be done though.

Advertisement