Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardhu gets permission

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Waiting for An Taisce to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

That's great. The more accommodation near the city centre the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote: »
    Waiting for An Taisce to appear

An Taisce didn't object.

It's very good news, imo. It's close enough to the city centre that the residents won't be massively car dependent, and near to a host of amenities too. I think it will be a good place to live if the construction and design standards are high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »
    It's very good news, imo. It's close enough to the city centre that the residents won't be massively car dependent, and near to a host of amenities too. I think it will be a good place to live if the construction and design standards are high.

Unfortunately no bus route to that part of the city though. Nice walk or cycle, mind you but it would be good to have a bus service along the Ennis Road that connects with parts of the NCRd.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately no bus route to that part of the city though. Nice walk or cycle, mind you but it would be good to have a bus service along the Ennis Road that connects with parts of the NCRd.

Yes, it needs a bus route alright. It's quite a disgrace that the councillors didn't support a bus lane along the Ennis Road a few years back. The funding and design were all in place, I believe, but some residents kicked up a stink because they felt they'd a right to on-street parking outside their homes, which they don't. In any case most of the people who park there are people who live in Clare and commute in to the city each morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Yes, it needs a bus route alright. It's quite a disgrace that the councillors didn't support a bus lane along the Ennis Road a few years back. The funding and design were all in place, I believe, but some residents kicked up a stink because they felt they'd a right to on-street parking outside their homes, which they don't. In any case most of the people who park there are people who live in Clare and commute in to the city each morning.

There is no need for a bus lane on the ennis road there is one already thats barely ever used on the condell road, plenty of room for a bus to travel in in normal traffic which would only take a few mins anyway.

steveon wrote:
    There is no need for a bus lane on the ennis road there is one already thats barely ever used on the condell road, plenty of room for a bus to travel in in normal traffic which would only take a few mins anyway.

Are you seriously comparing the Condell Road and Ennis Road as a justification for not putting in a bus lane?

On your second point, maybe you're right. I haven't travelled that way in a few years but it used to be a serious traffic bottleneck and if that still is the case then a bus lane is totally justifiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Are you seriously comparing the Condell Road and Ennis Road as a justification for not putting in a bus lane?

On your second point, maybe you're right. I haven't travelled that way in a few years but it used to be a serious traffic bottleneck and if that still is the case then a bus lane is totally justifiable.

No I am not comparing the two roads I am simply saying there is no need of a bus lane
    All they do once there built is cause traffic for the rest of us and allow taxi drivers to abuse them complete waste of money theee is no need for any of them in my opinion in any part of the city unless they run the entire route which in this country unlike the rest of the country is impossible due to bad planning and too narrow a road in the first place. They have ruined o connell avenue more traffic than ever for a bus lane that's a joke that people have to drive through just to park which is breaking the law.

I work on the roads and everyday and sitting in traffic looking at empty bus lanes which in my opinion should be returned to road users and alleviate the traffic making the roads safer for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Cycle lanes would be far more productive on the Ennis road than a bus lane. Traffic isn't that bad to be honest. I reckon it's one of the quietest traffic routes now. If there is traffic it usually clears within 15 mins.

I could be wrong but did I hear that the original objection was from residents because the apartments were rumoured to be used as social housing?

• Advertisement

An Taisce didn't object.

I'm actually shocked that they havent

Mc Love wrote:
    I'm actually shocked that they havent

Why? If it's a good development they have no reason to object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Theres a bus stop outside the Ardhu and another across the road and down a bit, whats the problem in walking 100m to the bustop

apc wrote:
    Theres a bus stop outside the Ardhu and another across the road and down a bit, whats the problem in walking 100m to the bustop

The bus lane was planned for between Union Cross and Sarsfield Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

apc wrote: »

That's the bus stop for the Shannon bus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I recently used this bus and the busiest it got was between Henry St and the Greenhills. People are using it as a local bus. Probably one for the Bus thread, but there's obviously demand for a bus along the Ennis Rd.

Why? If it's a good development they have no reason to object.

They blocked a much needed upgrade to a route i use frequently. Its badly needed yet they still blocked it

Mc Love wrote:
    They blocked a much needed upgrade to a route i use frequently. Its badly needed yet they still blocked it

Which route was that?

Which route was that?

N86 upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

steveon wrote: »
    No I am not comparing the two roads I am simply saying there is no need of a bus lane
    All they do once there built is cause traffic for the rest of us and allow taxi drivers to abuse them complete waste of money theee is no need for any of them in my opinion in any part of the city unless they run the entire route which in this country unlike the rest of the country is impossible due to bad planning and too narrow a road in the first place. They have ruined o connell avenue more traffic than ever for a bus lane that's a joke that people have to drive through just to park which is breaking the law.

I work on the roads and everyday and sitting in traffic looking at empty bus lanes which in my opinion should be returned to road users and alleviate the traffic making the roads safer for everyone.

In what way are Taxi Drivers 'abusing' Bus Lanes? They are entitled to drive in them whilst working. This includes driving to collect a passenger and driving while available for hire.

There is no Bus Lane on O'Connell Avenue :confused:. Are you referring to the Ballinacurra road ? If so, there is provision within the Road Traffic Act which allows Motorists to enter a Bus Lane for the purposes of access. Nobody is breaking any Laws by entering this bus lane to either park on the roadside or access a Driveway.

edit; Both the Condell and Ballinacurra roads had a single Lane heading into the City before the bus lanes were introduced. How can the Bus lanes suddenly be the cause of extra Traffic on these roads when nothing has changed with regards to the number of Lanes available to Private Cars ?

• Advertisement

Cross over the road and its the bus for town! :DThe shannon bus replaced the ennis road service when the bus routes were streamlined a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I'm also bemused and baffled by this contention that the bus lane has caused traffic! As another poster has stated. Ballinacurra Road was single carriageway before the bus lane was developed. The road was reconfigured as part of the project but maintained the single carriageway arrangement. Are you advocating that the bus lane should instead become a second inbound lane?!

I ve been stuck with a car commute for the last year and a bit and I must say I m sick sh1t of it. The stress and frustration is absolutely horrendous! I can t wait to get back to a scenario where I can walk, cycle or get the bus to work.
    The cause of traffic as you put it is not public transport or bus lanes. It s an over reliance on car commuting and the proliferation of single occupancy vehicles that clog up the roads. The road network in the city has a finite capacity and we just cannot maintain the current trend of increasing traffic levels and hope it can be absorbed by the existing infrastructure. If we want to see the growth and development of Limerick continue then we have to invest in sustainable transport solutions like more bus and cycling facilities in order to make the city a more attractive place to live and work in. Otherwise the inevitable consequence is yet more insufferable and stifling gridlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Paddico

What and where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If you're asking about the original post it's the old Ardhu Ryan Hotel on the Ennis road. The receiver has been granted planning permission to convert the old bedroom block into apartments and to build 9 houses on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,327 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mc Love wrote: »

Just a point of information, planning permission is granted or refused by the local authority or An Bord Pleanala. Third parties can only make objections or observations based on what is applied for.

If the planned development stacks up with the local development plan, national and EU legislation it will go ahead no matter what a third party says.

I recently used this bus and the busiest it got was between Henry St and the Greenhills. People are using it as a local bus. Probably one for the Bus thread, but there's obviously demand for a bus along the Ennis Rd.

The shannon bus replaced the ennis road bus service. Thats as good as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

The project has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala. There is a dispute about the number of social housing units required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

pigtown wrote: »
    The project has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala. There is a dispute about the number of social housing units required.

Well that was bound to happen. Putting social housing into the most expensive residential area in Limerick was never going to go ahead without dispute.

Advertisement