Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To DI2 or not?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fat bloke wrote: »
    Well I had a bad experience with a rental trek in the States when after a heavy shower of rain if wouldn't give me the big ring anymore and I thought "nuts to that for a game of soldiers".

And I've had nothing but good experiences with mechanical 105, ultegra, DA and now sram red. But really its the weight that kills it for me. 1000 euro buys you a 8kg bike. 6000 euro buys you a sub 6.5kg bike. Lightness is really expensive, so I simply couldn't pay more for a 3 or 400 g (or whatever it is) weight penalty for questionable convenience.

But yes, I know lads with ultegra di2 who love it.... But their bikes are heavier than mine! :D

Was the battery charged? Thats what happens when it needs a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Or go for a power meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Another gadget, that you have to remember to check to charge the night before, after phone and garmin and ....

I'd guess it's good for racing, with minimal effort for gear change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You can have Di2 and like it, or you don't have it and tell people why it's crap.

Simple, really.

Anyone with Di2 that hates it?

I have Di2 envy and I hate it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dahat wrote: »
    Or go for a power meter?

Only useful if used properly.
    coastwatch wrote: »
    Another gadget, that you have to remember to check to charge the night before, after phone and garmin and ....

I'd guess it's good for racing, with minimal effort for gear change.

You get about 1000km out of them. Not really the same as the above.

In saying that I have the following battery powered devices
    • Heart rate monitor
    • Garmin
    • Two rear lights
    • One front light
    • Power Meter
    • Di2

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

godtabh wrote: »
      Only useful if used properly.

You get about 1000km out of them. Not really the same as the above.

In saying that I have the following battery powered devices
      • Heart rate monitor
      • Garmin
      • Two rear lights
      • One front light
      • Power Meter
      • Di2

Thats the problem, even more likely to forget about it :(

1. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not really.

2. Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It just becomes a discipline I imagine.

3. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

4. Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've got Di2 on 3 bikes (commuter, racer and TT). Had one issue when a bike fell over (without me on it this time:)) and the cable in the shifter disengaged as the shifter twisted slightly. Left me with 2 gears for a while but was sorted. My only other issue was trying to get the battery out of the Cervelo TT frame! One charge should last 2-3,000km and it's very easy to check the battery status. Tend to find I only need to charge up 2-3 times a year across all the bikes, and if necessary I can switch batteries between bikes if I am caught short on one of them.

Currently looking at one Dolan carbon bike with Ultegra Di2 at a price of £1,500, which is currently about €1,750.

5. Advertisement
      6. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
        I've got Di2 on 3 bikes (commuter, racer and TT). Had one issue when a bike fell over (without me on it this time:)) and the cable in the shifter disengaged as the shifter twisted slightly. Left me with 2 gears for a while but was sorted. My only other issue was trying to get the battery out of the Cervelo TT frame! One charge should last 2-3,000km and it's very easy to check the battery status. Tend to find I only need to charge up 2-3 times a year across all the bikes, and if necessary I can switch batteries between bikes if I am caught short on one of them.

Currently looking at one Dolan carbon bike with Ultegra Di2 at a price of £1,500, which is currently about €1,750.

3 out of how many these days? I would say its a relatively high percentage so I think its a decent seal of approval.

When I got mine originally I intended it be used as a summer bike only but this will be my third winter with it. No issues with it at all.

7. Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

fat bloke wrote: »
        Well I had a bad experience with a rental trek in the States when after a heavy shower of rain if wouldn't give me the big ring anymore and I thought "nuts to that for a game of soldiers".

And I've had nothing but good experiences with mechanical 105, ultegra, DA and now sram red. But really its the weight that kills it for me. 1000 euro buys you a 8kg bike. 6000 euro buys you a sub 6.5kg bike. Lightness is really expensive, so I simply couldn't pay more for a 3 or 400 g (or whatever it is) weight penalty for questionable convenience.

But yes, I know lads with ultegra di2 who love it.... But their bikes are heavier than mine! :D

Its about 50 grms or less with Dura Ace Mechanical Vs. Electronic, the shifters are significantly lighter. For me i don't mind the 50 grams weight penalty for ease of shifting.

I've had Di2 for 4 years now and use the bike in all weather, never had to adjust the front derailuer in this time and only adjusted the rear twice as it got a knock in the boot. This adjustment would also be required on mechanical. I've changed cassettes and chains and no adjustment what soever required.

If you can afford it buy it I say, as per previous poster there is only 1 comment on an issue with a rental bike so i wouldn't pay much attention to that as rental bikes are never minded. Also loads of other threads like this so worth reviewing them.

8. Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

10% off today with black10 and only 30 pound shipping to Ireland, seriously temping!

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Currently hitting 3 years now and over 15000km on mine and zero issues bar a software update which I wanted. (Full sweep with hold down function) I bought a spare battery as a back up but never needed it. You get into the habit before each spin of checking the power levels.

Isnt it compared to washing dishes? Once with a dishwasher its hard to go back to washing dishes!

10. Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The amount of sprockets is key rather than the number of teeth then.

No it's not...Your still not getting it. There is only 2mm difference in the width of a 9 or 10speed cassette compared to an 11speed.

Cross chaining on a 9speed bike will put the same strain (or near enough) as cross chaining on an 11speed bike. A 9speed cassette will be 2mm further out from the hub than a 11spd cassette so the chainline when cross chaining is near as damned the same as that on an 11spd bike.

Just admit, you didn't know what cross chaining actually was. 😜

11. Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No it's not...Your still not getting it. There is only 2mm difference in the width of a 9 or 10speed cassette compared to an 11speed.

Cross chaining on a 9speed bike will put the same strain (or near enough) as cross chaining on an 11speed bike. A 9speed cassette will be 2mm further out from the hub than a 11spd cassette so the chainline when cross chaining is near as damned the same as that on an 11spd bike.

Just admit, you didn't know what cross chaining actually was. 😜

I did know but not the technical part of it... "hands head all the same"

12. Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
        3 out of how many these days? I would say its a relatively high percentage so I think its a decent seal of approval.
        Due to wrist problems since the accident I prefer the "automatic" to the "stick shift", so I'm using Di2 pretty much all the time except on the track bikes. Haven't done much TT'ing but the racer (Dura Ace) survived the crash and mainly gets summer use - the commuter (only Ultegra!) is on the road pretty-much year round for the past 3.5 years except for 3-4 months hiatus after the accident - not gone 11 speed yet, but am eyeing up that Dolan as it will allow me to export one of my Di2s to the holiday home.....

13. Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I<snip>

In fairness, I think that is the best way to get Di2 if you are lucky enough to come across a bargain bike that has it. At 1,750 and with a "Max" "bike to work" that Dolan would be about 1,250, and for a full bike with Di2... that's a bargain.

Personally I was just lucky enough with BTW and Canyon having Sales to acquire Di2, but I think if I had a good bike with Mechanical gearing I wouldn't be assed upgrading it. Unless it was a really expensive bike/frame that was a few years old, like one of these "Look" yokes that cost about 5 grand. That sort of upgrade to Di2 would make more sense.

All that aside, if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happy, you could be dead next year :)

14. Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

you could be dead next year :)
        :(:(

Another Boardsie written out of my will.....

:pac:

15. Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

While not top of the range I thinky tcr advanced 1 is a frame worthy of a di2 myself.

This B2W kind of fell my way as my old job went into liquidation so this is a bonus one. Points below is where I'm at...

1. Don't need a bike, have two not 12 months old
        2. Don't need wheels, have two winter sets and a set of Krysium Pro Sl
        3. I'll never hand over the cash for di2
        4. It's an ego upgrade imo as performance wise it won't help massively.
        5. I think I'm worth it....

16. Advertisement
      17. Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Agree with one (and only one) of the above......

18. Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Agree with one (and only one) of the above......

Its either 4 or 5.

19. Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

While not top of the range I thinky tcr advanced 1 is a frame worthy of a di2 myself.

This B2W kind of fell my way as my old job went into liquidation so this is a bonus one. Points below is where I'm at...

I'm all for "l'oreal" :)

Just make sure your frame is "EL" acceptable.

I have found a lot of bike frames come "EL" or "ME" compatible. I think there has to be a hole somewhere on the seat tube for "EL"!

20. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Are you working the system to get di2 or are you getting a bike. I though b2w didn't work like that

21. Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Weepsie wrote: »
        Are you working the system to get di2 or are you getting a bike. I though b2w didn't work like that

I wouldn't ask. What you don't know won't hurt you and won't result in a lesson in ethics/law.

22. Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was it just me who originally read the thread title as 'to D12 or not?'; making me wondering was there some hazardous but worthwhile cycling goal in crumlin.

23. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In fairness, I think that is the best way to get Di2 if you are lucky enough to come across a bargain bike that has it. At 1,750 and with a "Max" "bike to work" that Dolan would be about 1,250, and for a full bike with Di2... that's a bargain.

Personally I was just lucky enough with BTW and Canyon having Sales to acquire Di2, but I think if I had a good bike with Mechanical gearing I wouldn't be assed upgrading it. Unless it was a really expensive bike/frame that was a few years old, like one of these "Look" yokes that cost about 5 grand. That sort of upgrade to Di2 would make more sense.

All that aside, if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happy, you could be dead next year :)

That's a good point. I got my cube for €1800. 2014 model picked up on the 31st of December

24. Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

For me, if the choice was between Ultegra DI2 and DuraAce mechanical I would go with the DuraAce all day!

25. Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

As a matter of interest, when you have a problem with your mechanical groupo when out riding it's called, well..., a mechanical. What is the equivalent if you a have a problem when out on your Di equipped pride and joy, a digital??? :confused:

26. Advertisement
      27. Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

As a matter of interest, when you have a problem with your mechanical groupo when out riding it's called, well..., a mechanical. What is the equivalent if you a have a problem when out on your Di equipped pride and joy, a digital??? :confused:

Low battery :)

Advertisement