Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting interest free credit on furniture before mortgage drawdown? Is this ok

Options
  • 24-11-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, we have purchased a new build which won't be ready until next summer we have picked some furniture we like in a store which offers interest free credit, there is a wait time but they will hold if the build is delayed. There is good discounts on said furniture but we are a bit unsure if we can take this out before we draw down our mortgage next summer. Our mortgage advisor said as we have found our house, paid deposits etc we won't need to repapply after the 6 months, our mortgage offer is just extended but I don't know our stance on taking out interest free credit beforehand...? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

stickman22 wrote: »
    Hi, we have purchased a new build which won't be ready until next summer we have picked some furniture we like in a store which offers interest free credit, there is a wait time but they will hold if the build is delayed. There is good discounts on said furniture but we are a bit unsure if we can take this out before we draw down our mortgage next summer. Our mortgage advisor said as we have found our house, paid deposits etc we won't need to repapply after the 6 months, our mortgage offer is just extended but I don't know our stance on taking out interest free credit beforehand...? Thanks in advance

Why not wait..... The sales are better in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Personally I would wait. I wouldnt risk it and who knows you might see something nicer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will the credit against your name now?
    If so I'd wait until after draw down.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

I wouldn't do this either! When I took out my mortgage I had a small loan that was due to finish 2 months after draw down. The amount I was allowed to borrow was reduced by £2,000 because of it ! Granted this was 18 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's so many variables that could impact on the purchase if the house. Wait till you have the house before you buy a load of stuff for it, you'll be able.to get a better feel what will work from living in the space for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 stickman22

Thanks so much, very sound advice, I had an uneasy feeling about it. We do need the credit in order to get everything, we would have no problem with the repayments but obviously we don't want to do anything to jepordise our mortgage. I think what we'll do is order our sofa as currently there is a 5/6 month wait time on it & we'll pay or that in cash & the minute we draw down we can organise the credit for b eds & other furniture, we don't know too much about the ins/outs of mortgages but we don't want to do anything crazy to affect out drawdown!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think what we'll do is order our sofa as currently there is a 5/6 month wait time on it

:eek: That must be some sofa.

I can't help but think you're brave organising any significant furniture before you've seen the exact space. You'd want to stop going anywhere near sofa displays after committing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The best thing to do is buy stuff from auctions at the start and then replace it as you can afford to. Avoid credit.

Advertisement