Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Network cables in House renovation - a little bit clueless

Options
  • 24-11-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Getting my house renovated along with a small extension. I wish to have it setup with wired ethernet cable so that I can connect cctv cameras and have ethernet connections for the tv etc. Just want to future proof while I am at it. You may have other suggestions for what benefits routing ethernet cable can have around the house?

Anyway, looking for help about how to go about this. My knowledge is basic, but Id guess i'd need:

- CAT6a cable
    - A switch (to connect to my router from my broadband provider)
    - Connectors when terminating the cables.

I am sure I need a lot more and was wondering if you could help with a shopping list?

I intend to hand this over to the electrician and just tell him where i'd like the points to be and job done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Put RJ45 plates in the walls beside your plugs in the rooms where you are fitting the wiring. Run everything back to a static location, neatly using something like this if you can. Pull the wires through the hole, terminate them and hook them up to a switch. Put a single cable from the switch into the router.

For the cable itself Cat 5e is fine, cat 6 is better. Home connections won't scale past 1 gig for a long time, so no worries there. If you are putting cable outdoors, make sure you are using outdoor cables. They cost more for a reason. Cabling in the wall should be solid core cable.

Cables are terminated in RJ45 connectors or in the wall plates. You need patch cables from the wall plates to the devices.

Switches can be cheap like the below or expensive and loud if you need them to power the cameras too via the copper links.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=JCENG-GS308-100UKS

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Just go for cat6 (from a reputable site) lot of cheap cable out there pretending to be cat6, make sure there is no aluminum in the cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFPdg7DGvk

PM me if you want some help

Advertisement