Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging suggestions

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Moving into a new house soon. The garden was incorrectly walled originally, omitting part of the site, so the vendors have fenced off the additional land which was part of a field. I would like to plant something along the fence to give this area some shelter, as I plan to grow veg and possibly put up a polytunnel and it is rather exposed being part of an open field. The field is grazed by cattle, however, so I fear any hedge will be grazed heavily by them reaching in/over the fence. Looking for suggestions for hedging that will grow quickly enough but be resistant to grazing, if such a thing exists. I guess whitethorn is the obvious answer, any other options?

Thanks for all opinions and advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

They'll have a go at young whitethorn if they can get at it too. Is there any way you could ask the farmer to let you put up electric fencing for the first year or two? Native mix of whitethorn, blackthorn and wild rose always looks good and grows fairly quickly too. They'll attract bees which will be great for your veggies. You could always put up windbreak netting on your side of the fence that might stop them nibbling young hedging plants and will give you shelter too. how wide is the strip? depending on the orientation you'll get shade in the summer when the hedge is grown

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

currants wrote: »
    They'll have a go at young whitethorn if they can get at it too. Is there any way you could ask the farmer to let you put up electric fencing for the first year or two? Native mix of whitethorn, blackthorn and wild rose always looks good and grows fairly quickly too. They'll attract bees which will be great for your veggies. You could always put up windbreak netting on your side of the fence that might stop them nibbling young hedging plants and will give you shelter too. how wide is the strip? depending on the orientation you'll get shade in the summer when the hedge is grown

Thanks. Yes we could certainly ask the farmer and it might be no problem, I'm sure we'll meet him when we move in. I have a beekeeper friend too so may keep a hive on site for pollination and a few jars of honey. Strip is wide enough, maybe 10 metres, was hoping to keep the hedge to 8 feet or so. Like the look of laid hedges so may give that a go in a few years. I do like the idea of using native species and creating habitat for wildlife but don't want it getting out of hand and shading the area altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

How high is the fence that marks the boundary? If it's over a few feet the cows might stay well away from it but will probably stick their heads over to be nosy in the beginning. I've found that driving a few posts and having wire running along it will keep cows and horses away from what you are protecting. A roll of wire can be 7 euro for 25-40m and the posts can be got for about 2 euro each.

After that, what type of hedge depends on soil type, drainage, prevailing wind and other considerations on what you want the hedge to do: provide shelter?, be a wind-break?, attract wildlife/pollinators?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How high is the fence that marks the boundary? If it's over a few feet the cows might stay well away from it but will probably stick their heads over to be nosy in the beginning. I've found that driving a few posts and having wire running along it will keep cows and horses away from what you are protecting. A roll of wire can be 7 euro for 25-40m and the posts can be got for about 2 euro each.

After that, what type of hedge depends on soil type, drainage, prevailing wind and other considerations on what you want the hedge to do: provide shelter?, be a wind-break?, attract wildlife/pollinators?

The fence is about 4 feet high I'd guess. Extra wire could easily be added to give it a bit more deterrent for cows.
    Primary reason for the hedge is to create a boundary, to delineate the garden from the field. There is a wet area in the field just past the fence so vegetation to create a root system and soak up some water is one consideration. No idea of the soil type but hawthorn/whitethorn is very common in the area. Also to create a windbreak/shelter for the new part of the garden, to protect a planned polytunnel and veg growing area. The strip faces southeast (SW-NE axis) so the end of the polytunnel would face SW with the long side facing SE. Wildlife/pollinators would be a bonus.

Advertisement