Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rug Reccomendations

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for 2 new waterproof and warm turn out rugs for 2 TBs for the winter and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for such a rug. It's been years since I've had to actually buy any due to horses being mostly stabled and being remarkably easy on their rugs (two of the new guys have changed that unfortunately), so any advice you can give would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

convert wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for 2 new waterproof and warm turn out rugs for 2 TBs for the winter and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for such a rug. It's been years since I've had to actually buy any due to horses being mostly stabled and being remarkably easy on their rugs (two of the new guys have changed that unfortunately), so any advice you can give would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

My darling has two outdoor rugs, both heavy winter. The Rambo fits nicely but broken stitching on the underbelly and chest straps on the Rambo. She is not hard on rugs, I looped a short bit of baler twine join the using the buckles for quick release as a temporary measure and the string hasn't worn through so it wasn't her moving about that broke the original stitching. I also noticed wet patches so the rain can soak in.

I also have a weatherbeater rug with the collar/neck warmer. Nothing broken, no small rips, no wet spots, easy to put on. Very happy with it. Neither have been re-proofed in the three years I have them.

Only problem with the neck collar is it wears away her mane in one spot.
    Tonight the lady of leisure has the two rugs on in the field, during the day just one. I find it helps keep the wollyness off her as she is unclipped, but not too warm to overheat.
    She is a beautiful 3/4 ISD btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

I always go Rambo. I had a text who lived out full time for 6 years in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

otwb1 wrote:
    I always go Rambo. I had a text who lived out full time for 6 years in one.

tb even...not text!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I love premier equine. They are really good quality and fit. Not the cheapest but not rambo money either.

( i have a 6'6 heavyweight I could probably sell - sold my hunter)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Holmestead doing decent heavies with necks for 60 - definitely the cheapest I've seen anywhere, I have a similar one from TRI that is two years old and still in god order - and he is NOT kind to rugs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Am in the market for a rug here as well.

I rugged up both our ponies last week and the 148 had her's off and torn in about 2 hours!!! Was just after getting it washed and repaired as well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

If your guys are easy on rugs but you still want quality, I'd go for the Amigo rug from the Horseware range. I have the 1200D rug and its gone through two seasons without any issues. Equine Warehouse always have some good deals.

Advertisement