Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am extremely unhappy with Eir.

Options
  • 25-11-2016 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Eir, in summary I am requesting that you cancel my contract free of charge. Since the beginning of July, I have been paying for broadband in a house I am no longer living in. I have tried to cancel this contract and I was prepared to pay the cancellation fee but you have been impossible to communicate with. Your level of customer service is shocking. It has been so discouraging trying to make any sort of progress. It is now the end of November and I have got nowhere.

I have provided the details of my experience below. I am sure it will be tedious for you to read (as it was for me to write), but that is what happens when your level of customer service has been as bad as it has been, in my experience.

In November 2015, I started renting a house in Dublin and signed up for the 18-month contract for broadband only (Paid by Direct-Debit). In June 2016, I was unexpectedly told that new tenants would be moving in on 1st July 2016. I had to quit my job and return home to Galway.

I decided that I would contact Eir about cancelling the contract and paying the cancellation fee if there is one. I phoned in and I was asked for the following:
    “Please enter your phone number including area code or broadband number.”

I could make no sense of this at the time because it is so badly worded. It reads as though you would like the customer to provide a phone number as well as an area code (which seems like a postal code, eg. D14, where I was living), or else broadband number:

(Phone Number) + [ (Area or Post Code) or (Broadband Number) ] = Speak to Eir Customer Service.

As I didn’t have an Eir phone number (broadband only deal) and I had no idea how you would enter two different numbers/codes at the same time, I decided I would email again another day. I did that. I sent an email, enquiring about the charge to cancel a contract early. I received no reply at all.
    I could not log into my Eir app at all because the details you gave me were invalid. I had to send another email to get Eir to send me a valid login information. That took about a week to get a response.

It is November now and I am still paying €45+ every month for broadband I am not using. I received an email in October saying that my usage is unusually high. This means that new people have moved into this house and have been using it while I am paying for them. I don’t even know them and I am paying for their broadband.

I rang in October again to try cancel and a man asked me to pay my balance before he would transfer me to the right department. I paid my balance over the phone and he put me on hold while I waited for the cancellation department. I waited for over 10 minutes before I had to hang up. No one even rang me back.
    I rang again a week later and was put through to cancellation department. I asked to be transferred to the cancellation department and when waiting, the phone hung up. No one rang me back. I tried again and was successfully transferred. The woman I spoke to said that she thinks I might be able to arrange for the cancellation of my contract without me having to pay a penalty fee. She transferred me to someone else and I was disconnected.

This woman also told me that Eir do not respond to emails enquiring about cancellations. Why would this be? Why would I not even get a reply, letting me know that I would have to contact by phone? Why would someone read that email and think “This customer does not want to pay for this service anymore. He wants to cancel. I will ignore him and let his contract continue.”?

I am asking that you free me of this contract without any charge. I have nothing bad to say about the employees who all acted in a professional manner (except for not ringing me back or answering my email). I am very disappointed that I have lost contact with you so many times. You are supposed to be Ireland’s leading phone company. I have a bill of €118 this month alone. At the very least deactivate my connection so that it doesn’t get worse. I have paid approximately €298 since the beginning of July for broadband I haven’t used.

If you can free me of this contract I will have me faith restored in you and will consider using Eir again in the future. I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

You entered into a contract, which means you agreed to pay x for a certain period of time, now through no fault of Eir you want to leave without paying a penalty?

Sorry but that's unfortunately not the way business works.

Im assuming the best the reps here can do is to get the cancellation dept to call you directly at which stage you will need to pay the remainder if your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shcum Away

davo2001 wrote: »
    You entered into a contract, which means you agreed to pay x for a certain period of time, now through no fault of Eir you want to leave without paying a penalty?

Sorry but that's unfortunately not the way business works.

Im assuming the best the reps here can do is to get the cancellation dept to call you directly at which stage you will need to pay the remainder if your contract.
    They made it so hard to have any sort of discussion with. Anytime I have tried to make progress, they have cut me off or ignored my email. I have paid for months of broadband that hasn't been used. Surely this enough of a cancellation fee for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

they wont cooperate with you . stop paying them now and ignore their requests for payment . they will then cut off the service

2forjoy wrote: »
    they wont cooperate with you . stop paying them now and ignore their requests for payment . they will then cut off the service
    Thanks for your advice 2forjoy. It may come to that but I will see what they have to say first.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Don't wait for them to sort it. They will lead you along for months to wring a few quid from you each month. I know from hard earned experience with eircom. Worst company in Ireland, that's why they rebrand every few years.

• Advertisement

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Don't wait for them to sort it. They will lead you along for months to wring a few quid from you each month.  I know from hard earned experience with eircom. Worst company in Ireland,  that's why they rebrand every few years.
    Really? I thought they might be prepared to contact me now that I have posted in public. As I said to the previous guy, thanks for the advice. If I don't get a reply in the next day and a half, I will strongly consider this. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Have you spoken to the new tenants and asked them to take over the bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Shcum Away wrote: »
    Eir, in summary I am requesting that you cancel my contract free of charge. Since the beginning of July, I have been paying for broadband in a house I am no longer living in. I have tried to cancel this contract and I was prepared to pay the cancellation fee but you have been impossible to communicate with. Your level of customer service is shocking. It has been so discouraging trying to make any sort of progress. It is now the end of November and I have got nowhere.

I have provided the details of my experience below. I am sure it will be tedious for you to read (as it was for me to write), but that is what happens when your level of customer service has been as bad as it has been, in my experience.

In November 2015, I started renting a house in Dublin and signed up for the 18-month contract for broadband only (Paid by Direct-Debit). In June 2016, I was unexpectedly told that new tenants would be moving in on 1st July 2016. I had to quit my job and return home to Galway.

I decided that I would contact Eir about cancelling the contract and paying the cancellation fee if there is one. I phoned in and I was asked for the following:
    “Please enter your phone number including area code or broadband number.”

I could make no sense of this at the time because it is so badly worded. It reads as though you would like the customer to provide a phone number as well as an area code (which seems like a postal code, eg. D14, where I was living), or else broadband number:

(Phone Number) + [ (Area or Post Code) or (Broadband Number) ] = Speak to Eir Customer Service.

As I didn’t have an Eir phone number (broadband only deal) and I had no idea how you would enter two different numbers/codes at the same time, I decided I would email again another day. I did that. I sent an email, enquiring about the charge to cancel a contract early. I received no reply at all.
    I could not log into my Eir app at all because the details you gave me were invalid. I had to send another email to get Eir to send me a valid login information. That took about a week to get a response.

It is November now and I am still paying €45+ every month for broadband I am not using. I received an email in October saying that my usage is unusually high. This means that new people have moved into this house and have been using it while I am paying for them. I don’t even know them and I am paying for their broadband.

I rang in October again to try cancel and a man asked me to pay my balance before he would transfer me to the right department. I paid my balance over the phone and he put me on hold while I waited for the cancellation department. I waited for over 10 minutes before I had to hang up. No one even rang me back.
    I rang again a week later and was put through to cancellation department. I asked to be transferred to the cancellation department and when waiting, the phone hung up. No one rang me back. I tried again and was successfully transferred. The woman I spoke to said that she thinks I might be able to arrange for the cancellation of my contract without me having to pay a penalty fee. She transferred me to someone else and I was disconnected.

This woman also told me that Eir do not respond to emails enquiring about cancellations. Why would this be? Why would I not even get a reply, letting me know that I would have to contact by phone? Why would someone read that email and think “This customer does not want to pay for this service anymore. He wants to cancel. I will ignore him and let his contract continue.”?

I am asking that you free me of this contract without any charge. I have nothing bad to say about the employees who all acted in a professional manner (except for not ringing me back or answering my email). I am very disappointed that I have lost contact with you so many times. You are supposed to be Ireland’s leading phone company. I have a bill of €118 this month alone. At the very least deactivate my connection so that it doesn’t get worse. I have paid approximately €298 since the beginning of July for broadband I haven’t used.

If you can free me of this contract I will have me faith restored in you and will consider using Eir again in the future. I look forward to hearing from you.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Shcum Away,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you feel this way & of the issues you have experienced in contacting us. If you have a broadband only account a broadband number would be allocated to your line, usually starting with 888. This would be the number you would need to input & would be located on your bills.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When cancelling an account the account holder would be required to contact the cancellations team directly on 1901. The cancellations team will then go through the cancellations process with you & also advise on early cancellations charges if you are still in contract. These charges would apply if you are not moving your services to another location.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Feel free to PM me your name & account number & I can follow up on this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

Advertisement