Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meeting new moms

• 25-11-2016 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys, I'm a first time mom, have a 4month old baby girl and I'm planning on setting up something that will help moms meet other parents in their area with similar interests/lifestyle. Just wanted to know if any of you have found it hard to meet other moms or find people in a similar situation to you that you can meet up with? I know maternity leave can be hard without family/friends being around!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I search on rollercoaster for baby groups in my area and ended up going to one almost every week once he was three or four months old. It was a nice change. I also went to play cafés and tried to be more extrovert in approaching other moms - not that difficult when your children are about the same age and you can always talk about them to break the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I've found it easy to meet local moms, mostly because there are lots of us in my area and lots of baby groups like the one you're setting up.
    If there's a lack of baby groups near you, you should absolutely set one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've found it easy to meet local moms, mostly because there are lots of us in my area and lots of baby groups like the one you're setting up.
    If there's a lack of baby groups near you, you should absolutely set one up.

As a new mam I starting to feel quite lonely, at what age do you start going to groups at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Babney

I'm a new mother & finding it quite lonely during the weekdays.
    At what age can you start bringing your baby to these groups. I'm a bit worried I'll look like a loser sitting there with a baby who hasn't got much interest. I just need to get out for my sake though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I've seen Mams at a Mam and baby group that I go to with 2 week old babies so I really don't think there's any time that's too early, it's just when you're ready to head out! Breast feeding support groups tend to have some Mam's of young baby's too if you're nursing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ais87 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm a first time mom, have a 4month old baby girl and I'm planning on setting up something that will help moms meet other parents in their area with similar interests/lifestyle. Just wanted to know if any of you have found it hard to meet other moms or find people in a similar situation to you that you can meet up with? I know maternity leave can be hard without family/friends being around!

There may already be something in your area.
    Cuidiu have lots of different local activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I started going for meetings at around three months but as I was breastfeeding it hasn't always worked timing wise.

I went to our local one my first two weeks of maternity leave before babs was born. Never too early. Lots of people will be feeding at them if that's stopping you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I found it really easy meeting new mothers.

i went to mother and baby boot camp, we all went for coffee afterwards. the same with baby massage and my breastfeeding group.

2 years on, we are still great friends

Babney wrote: »
    I'm a new mother & finding it quite lonely during the weekdays.
    At what age can you start bringing your baby to these groups. I'm a bit worried I'll look like a loser sitting there with a baby who hasn't got much interest. I just need to get out for my sake though.

i started the breastfeeding group at 2 week, boot camp and baby massage at 6 weeks.

didnt start swimming class until he had his first injections

• Advertisement

I'm not breastfeeding anymore so that rules that out.
    To be honest I find it hard to get out early, even if up early, the time just flies.
    Maybe in the new year when baby is 3 months it will get easier.

Babney wrote: »
    I'm not breastfeeding anymore so that rules that out.
    To be honest I find it hard to get out early, even if up early, the time just flies.
    Maybe in the new year when baby is 3 months it will get easier.

My trick has been that I get up, showered, dressed and breakfasted while hubby is there to hold baby in the morning. If I can get that much done my chances of doing anything that day go up hugely. Still about 50/50 whether I'll get there on any given day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Babney I've seen 2+ day old babies at groups, we started going when my son was 3 weeks old but that delay was only because we were hospital until he was a week old and then a friend was visiting from abroad during week 2. The groups usually aren't so much for the babies to enjoy, they're for exactly what you said, to get mums out of the house meeting people in a similar stage.

My trick has been that I get up, showered, dressed and breakfasted while hubby is there to hold baby in the morning. If I can get that much done my chances of doing anything that day go up hugely. Still about 50/50 whether I'll get there on any given day.

Wow, my husband leaves for work at 6.30,not much chance of that happening but I appreciate responses. I will make an effort in new year to try get on track with things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I joined a breastfeeding group with my second, at about 2 weeks old. Best thing I ever did. It's a very open group, you don't have to be breastfeeding right at that point to join, you could be an ex-breastfeeder or someone with older kids who breastfed :) It's brilliant.

I think if I was setting up a group it would be a group for "Mothers". Full stop. Not everyone manages to breastfeed, and while there are plenty of breastfeeding groups, those mothers that bottle feed do need support too, especially on their first. But there's not many groups out there for mums who are bottle feeding. And it's a hard, hard job, no matter how you're feeding, and it can be very lonely. Especially given that so many people live in areas where they didn't grow up or have family, and may not know anybody.

So yes OP. I think it's a great idea :)

i think i was in the minority of breastfeeders at my group :i think about 80% were no longer bf'ing

Everyone was there for a chat, cry, rant and to have someone hand us cups of tea and force biscuits on us.

if you have to be somewhere to be early in the morning, you will manage it

Advertisement