Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your bike stolen

Options
  • 25-11-2016 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Spotted this just past Stephens Green today.

20161124_134319.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

The luas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

If I were so inclined, I'd burn the plastic with a lighter until I could just unhitch the lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I once locked my bike to a bike stand on Croydon high street and left it there all day while I was in work.

Came out to it 10 hours later to realise that when putting on the u-lock I missed the bike stand and the bike was just leaning against it.

Needless to say I was pretty relieved to still have the bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i passed a couple of bikes in the city centre last night which were locked to other bikes, which were in turn locked to street furniture.
    what legal recourse do you have to free your bike if some idiot has locked theirs to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I once locked my bike to a lamppost in town but forgot to take the keys out of the lock.

It was still there when I got back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

i passed a couple of bikes in the city centre last night which were locked to other bikes, which were in turn locked to street furniture.
    what legal recourse do you have to free your bike if some idiot has locked theirs to yours?

Possibly friends who cycle together so not really a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

sullivlo wrote: »
    I once locked my bike to a lamppost in town but forgot to take the keys out of the lock.

It was still there when I got back.

Wow! I can't say I've ever done something that good. Am I that careful, or is it a matter of time?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Outside my workplace I am constantly seeing bikes left unlocked altogether. The general feeling seems to be that since the number of decent bikes that are easy to steal in town has grown, they don't bother nicking ****ty bikes that are out of the way anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

possibly, but i've a vague memory of hearing someone on here complaining of the problem a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Wow! I can't say I've ever done something that good. Am I that careful, or is it a matter of time?
    I did the same recently with a rental bike while I went back into the hotel to get something. In my defence, I've never used a lock with any regularity, so I forgot the "Step 3: Remove the key" part of the process :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

possibly, but i've a vague memory of hearing someone on here complaining of the problem a few years ago.
    i think that was where people accidentally or deliberately loop their lock around part or another bike when locking their own bike. Happened to me once in Drury St. Couldn't release my bike so headed off again and returned later to get it. Fortunately I was not in any hurry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i think that was where people accidentally or deliberately loop their lock around part or another bike when locking their own bike. Happened to me once in Drury St. Couldn't release my bike so headed off again and returned later to get it. Fortunately I was not in any hurry.

Sometimes done with the hope that you will go home and give them time to work on your lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I were so inclined, I'd burn the plastic with a lighter until I could just unhitch the lock.

If you were so inclined you would have tools suited to breaking locks easily. The bike in the photo would be passed over by the average thief. Be harder snipping through the plastic or burning it than cutting a poor lock with a bolt cutters.

Even with a small angle grinder you would have to get it from all sides.

They could have at least locked the back wheel going through the frame too, so you could not cycle off on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

rubadub wrote:
    If you were so inclined you would have tools suited to breaking locks easily. The bike in the photo would be passed over by the average thief. Be harder snipping through the plastic or burning it than cutting a poor lock with a bolt cutters.

Even with a small angle grinder you would have to get it from all sides.
    No, just burn one area of the plastic barrier. It would take about five minutes, not even.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No, just burn one area of the plastic barrier. It would take about five minutes, not even.
    5 minutes is a hell of a long time for a thief, In the thread on locks I posted a link to a lad cutting through a kryptonite NY lock in under a minute.

I would actually have very high hopes of that particular bike not being robbed around stephen's green, with all the other more sellable/profitable ones on offer with locks you will get through in seconds.

It is best to think like a thief while locking your bike, if I was a thief I would not look at that bike twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

milehip wrote: »
    The luas?

Ding ding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Quick release in high visibility

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stevek93 wrote: »
    Quick release in high visibility
    Work stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Work stand?

Those wheels can be nicked in 1 minute. Really should use kryptoflex.

Advertisement