Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Just back from the pub. Went onto chat and said I am giving it to my son and if the ads can be removed. They duly obliged. Nice one.

Was this bought online or a store?
    Feckers didn't remove mine at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

will a broadband stick/dongle work with the fire with the correct adapter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

timple23 wrote: »
    will a broadband stick/dongle work with the fire with the correct adapter?
    Not impossible but more tricky than it's worth. You'll need root and USB adapters for starters. If your only option is a wifi dongle, then get one that creates a hotspot as opposed to the plug-in type.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

dodzy wrote: »
    Just plugged mine in 30mins ago. On same version as yours so unrootable for the mo but.....

5 mins and you will be 'playstored'

Here ya go. No PC or SD card needed. You just need to grab a few APKs from the web using the stock silk browser.

First grab a free file manager from the Amazon app store - just search for FILE MANAGER (I took the first one found, File Commander). Then, through the Silk Browser navigate to the following links and download the 4 files. You will need to enable installation from unknown sources in settings. You will be prompted once you try to download the first of the .apks so just turn on the setting. I downloaded them all then went into the file manager, into downloads and then installed the 4 files in order.

5 mins later, the Play store icon will be on the bottom of your apps list.

Enjoy :)

Google Account Manager 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-account-manager/google-account-manager-5-1-1743759-release/google-account-manager-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

Google Services Framework 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-services-framework/google-services-framework-5-1-1743759-release/google-services-framework-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

Google Play Services 9.8.77 (230-135396225)
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-9-8-77-release/google-play-services-9-8-77-230-135396225-android-apk-download/

Google Play Store 7.0.25.H-all [0]
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/google-play-store-7-0-25-h-all-0-release/google-play-store-7-0-25-h-0-android-apk-download/

Thanks so much for that! I installed all the above on my adult profile, now I can't figure out how to install it on Timmy daughters profile. I've turned off as many parental controls as I can but on her profile silk browser etc isn't showing. Nor are the installs showing on 'share content' I've been at it for a while now starting to get frustrated, any advice welcome!

I don't think the browser will show on a childs profile at all, think of the childs profile as a state within your device. Like an app. It will only allow certain apps in to be partitioned for the child and the apps it will allow in, must be apps downloaded via the amazon app.
    Since you installed playstore outside the amazon app, then anything downloaded through that, will not come in to be accessible by the child profile, make sense?

• Advertisement

Went on chat again, they removed the ads this time

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I don't think the browser will show on a childs profile at all, think of the childs profile as a state within your device. Like an app. It will only allow certain apps in to be partitioned for the child and the apps it will allow in, must be apps downloaded via the amazon app.
    Since you installed playstore outside the amazon app, then anything downloaded through that, will not come in to be accessible by the child profile, make sense?

Ok so everyone is just letting their children use the main profile? I'll tighten up the parental controls on that one then. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

To my understanding anything downloaded through the Amazon App Store can be shared with a kids profile.

If you install the Google App Store (or whatever it's called) and install apps from that, they cannot be shared with a kids profile...... But... If you buy GoToApp from the Amazon App Store and share it with the kids profile you can now launch any games that you want which were installed from Google from within GoToApp. In GoToApp you then hide all the "Folders" (tabs) that you don't want to be seen. Create a new "Folder" with just the apps you want availabe in GoToApp. The problem with GoToApp is that I haven't figured out how to restrict the settings with a PIN code or something so the kids can't just re-enable all the folders/tabs.

A lot of that doesn't make much sense unless you actually but and install the app.

Not impossible but more tricky than it's worth. You'll need root and USB adapters for starters. If your only option is a wifi dongle, then get one that creates a hotspot as opposed to the plug-in type.

thanks for that, tied between this and the lenovo on offer in tesco for 59 i think i'll go for the lenovo

happypants wrote: »
    Ok so everyone is just letting their children use the main profile? I'll tighten up the parental controls on that one then. Thanks for the reply.

I am using the child section. I just have a few books and apps in there. My son is just 5 though so he doesn't really notice or care.
    I think the parental controls thing is handy for older kids maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Anyone work out a way to get Youtube Kids onto a kids profile? It's the only thing missing from the kids profile and the little one loves yt kids...

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Anyone work out a way to get Youtube Kids onto a kids profile? It's the only thing missing from the kids profile and the little one loves yt kids...

See my above post for GoToApp

SachaJ wrote: »
    See my above post for GoToApp

Tried that. Yt kids isn't there on the kids profile even after sharing the app. Am I missing a step?

Tried that. Yt kids isn't there on the kids profile even after sharing the app. Am I missing a step?

Did you install the Google Play Store and associated apks and then install YT Kids through the Play Store?

SachaJ wrote: »
    Did you install the Google Play Store and associated apks and then install YT Kids through the Play Store?

Yeah got all that bit done. Yt kids running perfectly on main profile but would rather it be on the kids profile for the little one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Oddly enough. We're not seeing ads on my Dad's tablet during the lock screen.

All I've done on the device is install ADB and Play Store (was a 5.1.3 device if that's a factor).

Never had to manually disable ads. Odd.

I purchased the cheap "with ads " version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone manage to install Whatsapp on these devices?

Or is there an app that can send photos to a phone without using Email?

btw I installed Mobdro on the Fire this morning and my Dad's loving his new Sky Sports-enabled tablet :)
    Quackster wrote: »
    Won't work from the Play Store but you can install WhatsApp directly once you have the APK (either copy it from a mobile or download it from an APK mirror site).

I got WhatsApp installed on his tablet but it appeared to deregister his phone Whatsapp. I don't suppose its possible to run the same WhatsApp account on two separate devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

For anyone who is on Version 5.3.2.1 and looking to root the device just like I am-

Currently that version cannot be rooted nor can it be downgraded to earlier versions in order to root the device. Attempts to do so have apparently been really problematic but hopefully RootJunky will come up trumps sooner rather than later.

After much mucking about I finally got this going. Using GoToApp (thanks for the suggestion SachaJ), I couldn't get it to work properly at first so I ended up installing Play Store directly on the kids profile. Downloaded yt kids and it works perfectly in the kids profile. Now you have to go through the GoToApp to do it which isn't ideal but it works. Hopefully a better solution will come along soon.

After much mucking about I finally got this going. Using GoToApp (thanks for the suggestion SachaJ), I couldn't get it to work properly at first so I ended up installing Play Store directly on the kids profile. Downloaded yt kids and it works perfectly in the kids profile. Now you have to go through the GoToApp to do it which isn't ideal but it works. Hopefully a better solution will come along soon.

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier.... Great to hear you got it set up. In my case I could install in the adults profile and then GoToApp would show it. Next I need to figure out how to restrict access to the GoToApp settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mrcheez wrote: »
    Oddly enough. We're not seeing ads on my Dad's tablet during the lock screen.

All I've done on the device is install ADB and Play Store (was a 5.1.3 device if that's a factor).

Never had to manually disable ads. Odd.

I purchased the cheap "with ads " version

None here either, no adds whatsoever.
    Installed Google Play via the 5thGenSupertool - no issues encountered.
    It offered me the opportunity to root the device- I passed (just in case I ever need the warranty).
    All-in-all less than 10 mins to install Googleplay and a shedload of apps.

Whats the story with wifi on the device crawling- e.g. its taken 2 days to download the two seasons of Man-in-the-high-castle.

Also- ES-File explorer is throwing a hissy fit at the manner in which it stores downloaded content on the SD-card.

All-in-all for 35 quid- its a remarkable purchase. I had extremely low expectations- which have been massively surpassed.

As a sidenote- it doesn't support the larger capacity sdxhc cards- I tried a 200Gb one in it, which wasn't recognised- a much smaller one (32Gb) is fine though.

The native app manager which offers to move any movable apps to the SD card- is damn good- though it does leave rubbish behind (such as the original apks for the apps).

If you haven't bought one of these already- go get one- its a bit of a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Anyone know where this can now be bought at the best price? Preferably not online as I would like to get one for the weekend.

Thanks

dixiefly wrote: »
    Anyone know where this can now be bought at the best price? Preferably not online as I would like to get one for the weekend.

Thanks

Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Argos.

I'd be passing over the fire at this price and grabbing the Acer for a lot less. Double the storage too, with no Amazon OS circumvent.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5152070/Trail/searchtext%3EACER+7.htm

Apologies, stockless anywhere I've checked :(

dixiefly wrote: »

Thanks

you could try tesco for the lenovo tab 2 a7 for 59 euro, similar spec, today is last day on offer.

happy with one I purchased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

I'd be passing over the fire at this price and grabbing the Acer for a lot less. Double the storage too, with no Amazon OS circumvent.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5152070/Trail/searchtext%3EACER+7.htm

Apologies, stockless anywhere I've checked :(
    Sorry,OT I know, but will that Acer be decent enough to run kids games games like the Lego ones? There were a few available to reserve last night so I have one held til end of today. Want something cheap, but not too the point that it's junk!

g0g wrote: »
    Sorry,OT I know, but will that Acer be decent enough to run kids games games like the Lego ones? There were a few available to reserve last night so I have one held til end of today. Want something cheap, but not too the point that it's junk!

Specs-wise- its got double the memory of the Amazon tablet, the same processor and gpu- but there are better cameras on the Amazon tablet. Either tablet take a 32Gb Microsd card (Argos sell them for around a tenner)- so I wouldn't get hung up over the memory. The fire has a better camera- and more pertinently, if you're giving it to a kid- there are a wide range of protective cases for children available- the Acer does have a sleeve- but its not really 'protective' in the way the children's cases are for the Fire.

Given choice of the two- for a kid- I'd 100% definitely go for the Amazon- if the price differential supported it. The Acer's higher price, even its new reduced price, is not, in my opinion, justified- when the Fire is so much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thanks to dodzy and the post with the quick guide to putting play store on the fire. Took 5 minutes.I only got around to setting up the thing this evening. It's been sitting under the tree since before Christmas.
    Mobdro and Showbox also work perfectly on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Specs-wise- its got double the memory of the Amazon tablet, the same processor and gpu- but there are better cameras on the Amazon tablet. Either tablet take a 32Gb Microsd card (Argos sell them for around a tenner)- so I wouldn't get hung up over the memory. The fire has a better camera- and more pertinently, if you're giving it to a kid- there are a wide range of protective cases for children available- the Acer does have a sleeve- but its not really 'protective' in the way the children's cases are for the Fire.

Given choice of the two- for a kid- I'd 100% definitely go for the Amazon- if the price differential supported it. The Acer's higher price, even its new reduced price, is not, in my opinion, justified- when the Fire is so much cheaper.

The argus SD cards are the lower speeds, you need to get the dearer class 10 ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

zerks wrote: »
    Thanks to dodzy and the post with the quick guide to putting play store on the fire. Took 5 minutes.I only got around to setting up the thing this evening. It's been sitting under the tree since before Christmas.
    Mobdro and Showbox also work perfectly on it.

Is his guide on this thread?

Advertisement