Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bob Z wrote: »
    Is his guide on this thread?

It was quoted a few days ago.Go back a few pages and it's there.I'm on mobile so posts per page might be different. You'll see the links to the apks you need.You also need a file explorer too.Dodzy used file commander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

zerks wrote: »
    It was quoted a few days ago.Go back a few pages and it's there.I'm on mobile so posts per page might be different. You'll see the links to the apks you need.You also need a file explorer too.Dodzy used file commander.

Cheers.found it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102053212

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I had bought two of these and had set up kids profile for my daughters ("Amazon FreeTime" or "Amazon for Kids") - I was using the free version, not paid / subscription. Everything was fine for first couple of days, and now trying to open kids profiles, I get a message saying "Amazon FreeTime or Amazon for Kids is only available in US, UK and Australia". I have configured my Amazon Kinde / Devices page with a UK address (Parcelmotel), still no joy. Anyone else have this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I bought the fire for kids 7" tablet from argos (Ireland) last year, where they offered 1 year access to fire for kids unlimited. It was supposed to be videos, apps, ebooks etc.

But Argos weren't supposed to sell them in Ireland due to licensing issues on the video content. So all the videos were geo blocked.
    Ended up getting a partial refund from Amazon, but could access apps/games and ebooks.

That was 1 year ago.
    Just noticed a €4.78 Amazon download charge on my credit card, so they've immediately started a hidden recurring charge after year one despite not being able to supply is the service... Will be phoning them up on that.

So the Amazon fire unlimited for kids package wasn't available in Ireland last year, I assume it's the same still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I bought the fire for kids 7" tablet from argos (Ireland) last year, where they offered 1 year access to fire for kids unlimited. It was supposed to be videos, apps, ebooks etc.

But Argos weren't supposed to sell them in Ireland due to licensing issues on the video content. So all the videos were geo blocked.
    Ended up getting a partial refund from Amazon, but could access apps/games and ebooks.

That was 1 year ago.
    Just noticed a €4.78 Amazon download charge on my credit card, so they've immediately started a hidden recurring charge after year one despite not being able to supply is the service... Will be phoning them up on that.

So the Amazon fire unlimited for kids package wasn't available in Ireland last year, I assume it's the same still.
    Our kids got them last year too. Everything worked but the videos. It's changed to not subscribed, havn't been charged anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Supercell wrote: »
    Just curious, mine had 5.1.3 when I got it on Black Friday so easy to root etc, I opted for the cheapest version with ad's, are the ones shipping with 5.3.2 the ad-less version?

Is There a difference btwn the Argos version & the Amazon bought tablet, as did someone say there's no ads with the Argos one?
    None. They are hard-coded for life

Here's a link provided earlier on by mrcheesz on removing the ads.

I noticed on my mum's tablet, that it updated itself to 5.3.2.1, i must have left something open in the settings, as that must have been how it was updated?
    As the only thing i can think of was Enable ADB was left open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Is There a difference btwn the Argos version & the Amazon bought tablet, as did someone say there's no ads with the Argos one?
    no ads on the Argos one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I bought 2 just before Christmas that supposedly have ads but I've been using them since Christmas day and haven't come accross any ads. Where should I be seeing them? Or is it just random?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

That was 1 year ago.

Correct the the videos are geo-blocked in Ireland but you still have to subscribe if you still want access to the games, apps and books. It's quite clear that when you setup the kids profiles that you are getting a year for free and it's a subscription after that. £4 per child for £8 for up to 4 kids I think.

In my case I have hidden all the videos and the kids just use Netflix or Plex instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    The argus SD cards are the lower speeds, you need to get the dearer class 10 ones

32Gb class 10 cards in Argos are 12.99 (there are different models cheaper- but the 32Gb CL10 is 12.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SachaJ wrote: »
    Correct the the videos are geo-blocked in Ireland but you still have to subscribe if you still want access to the games, apps and books. It's quite clear that when you setup the kids profiles that you are getting a year for free and it's a subscription after that. £4 per child for £8 for up to 4 kids I think.

In my case I have hidden all the videos and the kids just use Netflix or Plex instead.

I'm not sure what the issue with videos is- I got a message saying they weren't available in my region when I was setting up the tablet- but then it changed its mind (without my doing anything) and I've downloaded a shedload of stuff for the kids on one tablet- and for myself on another.

There was some announcement about Amazon video going global last week- perhaps that was it? It had been speculated- after the guys on 'The Grand Tour' let it slip- and apparently it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭brucefan

dodzy wrote: »
    Just plugged mine in 30mins ago. On same version as yours so unrootable for the mo but.....

5 mins and you will be 'playstored'

Here ya go. No PC or SD card needed. You just need to grab a few APKs from the web using the stock silk browser.

First grab a free file manager from the Amazon app store - just search for FILE MANAGER (I took the first one found, File Commander). Then, through the Silk Browser navigate to the following links and download the 4 files. You will need to enable installation from unknown sources in settings. You will be prompted once you try to download the first of the .apks so just turn on the setting. I downloaded them all then went into the file manager, into downloads and then installed the 4 files in order.

5 mins later, the Play store icon will be on the bottom of your apps list.

Enjoy :)

Google Account Manager 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-account-manager/google-account-manager-5-1-1743759-release/google-account-manager-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

Google Services Framework 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-services-framework/google-services-framework-5-1-1743759-release/google-services-framework-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

Google Play Services 9.8.77 (230-135396225)
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-9-8-77-release/google-play-services-9-8-77-230-135396225-android-apk-download/

Google Play Store 7.0.25.H-all [0]
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/google-play-store-7-0-25-h-all-0-release/google-play-store-7-0-25-h-0-android-apk-download/

That works brilliantly and Im not very good with this kind of stuff!! Thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Does Netflix take an age to open on anyone elses one or it does not work a lot of the time?
    Keeps timing out for me saying it could not reach the Netflix service. Did work once or twice but was still really slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Has anyone found a use for the Amazon OS? I have a 2nd tablet to fix and considering going the full cyanogen route.

Any thoughts either way? Get more out of it using cyanogen performance-wise perhaps?

Also has anyone found any issues with the latest Amazon OS and Play store installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

funnily enough, I've left my daughters alone and she has no complaints. No ads seem to have popped up either. Games play fine and I loaded some music and some videos and its all grand

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Any advice on how to install google play store on Amazon fire 7 is 5.3.2.1. Trying all day no joy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

lolliedog wrote: »
    Any advice on how to install google play store on Amazon fire 7 is 5.3.2.1. Trying all day no joy..

Try this worked perfect for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBXG9EcUkM

lukeeman wrote: »
    Try this worked perfect for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBXG9EcUkM

Thanks. Tried that no joy.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Also has anyone found any issues with the latest Amazon OS and Play store installation?

Yes, have tried all day but can get it to install. Had you any luck?

• Advertisement

lolliedog wrote: »
    Yes, have tried all day but can get it to install. Had you any luck?

I won't get a chance to look until the weekend unfortunately, just doing some research in the meantime.

Are you not able to downgrade though?

I won't get a chance to look until the weekend unfortunately, just doing some research in the meantime.

Are you not able to downgrade though?

I was looking into that but I dont think 5.3.2.1 is downgradable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Yeah, looks like they have tightened up with 5.3.2.1 as per XDA thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/fireos-5-3-2-arrived-t3500922/post70252060#post70252060

and

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/help/5-3-2-1-complete-list-t3527731

They warn that there is a high probability of bricking if you try to downgrade 5.3.2.1

blobbie wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like they have tightened up with 5.3.2.1 as per XDA thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/fireos-5-3-2-arrived-t3500922/post70252060#post70252060

and

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/help/5-3-2-1-complete-list-t3527731

They warn that there is a high probability of bricking if you try to downgrade 5.3.2.1

Right so, I haven't checked out what version the 2nd tablet I'm doing is, but I take it I should avoid connecting to the internet until I've rooted it and disabled the "auto-update" process etc

Right so, I haven't checked out what version the 2nd tablet I'm doing is, but I take it I should avoid connecting to the internet until I've rooted it and disabled the "auto-update" process etc

That seems to be the case.

I'd say a workaround will surface within a few days though.. I'm sure lots of people in similar circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can you get YouTube for kids on this using the amazon store?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

no it's not available. There's a bunch of similar sounding apps, but none of the reviews are favourable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ok. That solves that then. I guess you can allow the web page. If you really wanted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Getting "an error has occurred" when opening the YouTube app.

Reinstalled it from the Play Store but no joy. Anyone have same issues or a fix?

Advertisement