Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Getting "an error has occurred" when opening the YouTube app.

Reinstalled it from the Play Store but no joy. Anyone have same issues or a fix?

Turn on and turn off again- it seems to hold the internet connection for an access point indefinitely, and if you access it out of sleep, it doesn't process incoming packets as you'd expect it to.

There are a few threads on it on other sites- but the short and simple is to reboot the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Anybody else getting a black screen with Amazon system recovery <3e> on it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Turn on and turn off again- it seems to hold the internet connection for an access point indefinitely, and if you access it out of sleep, it doesn't process incoming packets as you'd expect it to.

There are a few threads on it on other sites- but the short and simple is to reboot the device.
    No joy there. :( doh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

has anyone here got chromecast to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Bob Z wrote: »

Very vague Bob. Do you mean to use the amazon fire to cast to the TV via Chromecast ?

yes. can you use chromecast on  a fire? my friend is having problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

Bob Z wrote: »
    yes. can you use chromecast on  a fire? my friend is having problem

Before you can use Chromecast on the Fire you'll have to install some Google apk's on your device, I used the following guide http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/ and then downloaded Google Home direct from the Playstore, I've had no problems using Chromecast on my Fire after using this method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Any way of connecting the fire 7 to a TV or laptop? I tried with a hdmi cable but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Before you can use Chromecast on the Fire you'll have to install some Google apk's on your device, I used the following guide http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/ and then downloaded Google Home direct from the Playstore, I've had no problems using Chromecast on my Fire after using this method.

Cheers, I too am trying for chromecast.

I suppose they want folk to use the firestick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have to say that I'm deeply unimpressed with this Fire 7. Somethings just are so slow its almost unusable.

Netflix was working on the kids profile but has now stopped. Nothing I do can get it to work. Works fine on my profile. Changing the settings take about 5 full minutes every time I want to try something else.

I allowed the website, doesn't work, reinstalled the app, doesn't work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

beauf wrote: »
    Have to say that I'm deeply unimpressed with this Fire 7. Somethings just are so slow its almost unusable.

Netflix was working on the kids profile but has now stopped. Nothing I do can get it to work. Works fine on my profile. Changing the settings take about 5 full minutes every time I want to try something else.

Netflix implemented new security protocols recently- as part of a major overhaul to try and stop people sharing logins etc. It may very well be a 'Netflix' rather than a 'Kindle' issue.

I don't use netflix here- however, no issue whatsoever playing files over the network (using VLC) or using the Kindle Video subscription with the free Prime membership (watched a few episodes of Sneaky Pete last night).

My only issue with it- is the limit on the number of Kindle Video products you can have stored on the device at any time- I think its set at 12- its a minor quibble though- as you can have as many of your own files on it as you like (regardless of where you've sourced them from).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

beauf wrote: »

gotta agree, i somehow failed to root one of my nephew's tablets before amazon updated and killed rooting loophole. so he's stuck with FireOS and it's the biggest POS i've ever seen. just too slow with all the ads and crap, and eats battery

the rooted nexus tablets have great battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I still have yet to get around to rooting my tablet :):)

Did my Dad's one before Xmas for his present, but haven't done mine yet.

Do I just root it before connecting it to the interwebs, or is the internet connection required for the rooting job??
    I bought it during the Black Friday sales so should be the earlier version.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I still have yet to get around to rooting my tablet :):)

Did my Dad's one before Xmas for his present, but haven't done mine yet.

Do I just root it before connecting it to the interwebs, or is the internet connection required for the rooting job??
    I bought it during the Black Friday sales so should be the earlier version.
    May not be possible (SW version dependent)

I just play-stored mine, side loaded a few apps and its fine. No ads either (as it was the Argos BA I purchased)

dodzy wrote: »
    May not be possible (SW version dependent)

What's the highest version before it becomes a problem rooting? 3.1 or something like that?

What's the highest version before it becomes a problem rooting? 3.1 or something like that?
    5.3.1 is rootable but 5.3.2 is not AFAIK. You can perhaps roll back to 5.3.1 but have not had the need to. As I said, with the PS installed and a few choice (cough) .APKs side-loaded, it's perfect for my needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Be sure to check your version carefully.
    You can roll back 5.3.2
    5.3.2.1 will brick your tablet if you try to roll back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

You can roll back 5.3.2 but don't attempt to roll back 5.3.2.1 unless you want a slim brick.

Best to post your OS version and take it from there. If your router allows domain blocking you can stop amazon updates.

It's best to root the fire tablet from a factory reset, before you register with amazon. For what ever reason registered devices are harder to root. On first boot don't connect to the internet and skip amazon registation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

On the BA alert side of things, it is back to £34.99

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Amazon-Fire-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/product/B018Y223ZK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

blobbie wrote: »
    On the BA alert side of things, it is back to £34.99

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Amazon-Fire-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/product/B018Y223ZK

Good timing, the little fellow smashed my screen yesterday.

Best to post your OS version and take it from there. If your router allows domain blocking you can stop amazon updates.

"Your device is running 5.3.1.0

Build date September 22 2016"

Happy days... so Cyanogen is what I want to install right, to avoid any amazon upgrades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

If your router allows domain blocking you can stop amazon updates.

any link for that? for a list of the domains to block? i'll just block them in windows hosts file i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know is it worth getting the kids version over the standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For young kids, yes it is

any link for that? for a list of the domains to block? i'll just block them in windows hosts file i think

These are the domains I've blocked on my archer C7:
    amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net
    softwareupdates.amazon.com
    amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite
    edgesuite
    "Your device is running 5.3.1.0

Build date September 22 2016"

Happy days... so Cyanogen is what I want to install right, to avoid any amazon upgrades?
    CM12.1 is discontinued, the last 100% one is this one https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=43570. later releases either have a bug that prevents the camera from recording or miracast issue. Flash with the latest Gapps nano http://opengapps.org/ select "arm" , "5.1" "nano"

The AOSP Nexus rom is still supported and todays release fixed the camera and miracast bug, Gapps built in too. https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-lmy49f-t3300714

The forum on XDA is well supported and a good place to read about this tablet.

It's a completely different beast with either of the custom roms on it.

Kids version is the same hardware but different version of amazon OS tweaked towards kids, but comes with in a "2-year worry-free guarantee: If they break it, return it and we'll replace it for free. No questions asked" guarantee

Personally I bought my girls the standard one, actually bought 2 each, the extra as a spare just incase Buying 2 standard was much cheaper than 1 Kids. I loaded CM12.1 on them and they love them. Not an option at the moment as new OS is currently unrootable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Took delivery of two of these this morning.

Black had Fire OS 5.0.1 - rooted using Root Junky Supertool https://tinyurl.com/jgb5az8
    Installed Fire Nexus ROM using https://tinyurl.com/glvlodp
    Kingroot took a while to root but eventually did. Used flashfire to flash the ROM

Pink has Fire OS 5.3.1 - in the process of rooting (hopefully) and deploying Fire Nexus ROM

After powering on the 1st time, I didn't register with Amazon and didn't attach to WiFi until prompted by Kingroot.

Supertool steps used were;
    1. Install ADB & Fastbook drivers
    6. Root - install Kingroot 4.9.2 to root (takes 4-5 attempts) and then replace with SuperSU
    3. Disable OTA updates
    5. Install Flashfire

Nexus ROM install:
    a) Using Silk browser search for "XDA Fire Nexus ROM" - brings you to URL noted above
    b) Go to the download and download the latest Nexus ROM (2017-0208.zip)
    c) Follow the instructions in XDA for "Fresh installation from FireOS via FlashFire >= 0.55.1" . Grant Flashfire root via SuperSU when prompted.

Usual caveats apply - the above is just a record of what worked for me. Always a chance of a BRICK so be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

5.3.2 rom anyone ? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

What's the gain in rooting these and can they run kodi? Thanks.

Advertisement