Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

blobbie wrote: »
    Took delivery of two of these this morning.

Black had Fire OS 5.0.1 - rooted using Root Junky Supertool https://tinyurl.com/jgb5az8
    Installed Fire Nexus ROM using https://tinyurl.com/glvlodp
    Kingroot took a while to root but eventually did. Used flashfire to flash the ROM

Pink has Fire OS 5.3.1 - in the process of rooting (hopefully) and deploying Fire Nexus ROM

After powering on the 1st time, I didn't register with Amazon and didn't attach to WiFi until prompted by Kingroot.

5.0.1 doesn't actually require to be rooted to install a custom rom. It has an old bootloader that lets you to load TWRP custom recovery from fastboot. Can all be done from supertool too..... if you just want it rooted there is a better root option than kingroot already available in supertool. As far as FireOS and custom roms its the jewel in the Crown to have.
    Gebgbegb wrote: »
    5.3.2 rom anyone ? :(

5.3.2 can be downgraded to the rootable 5.3.1 via the ADB sideload method.

5.3.2.1 can't be downgraded or rooted at present.

If you're router allows block the amazon update domains I posted earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Took delivery of two of these this morning.

Black had Fire OS 5.0.1 - rooted using Root Junky Supertool https://tinyurl.com/jgb5az8
    Installed Fire Nexus ROM using https://tinyurl.com/glvlodp
    Kingroot took a while to root but eventually did. Used flashfire to flash the ROM

Pink has Fire OS 5.3.1 - in the process of rooting (hopefully) and deploying Fire Nexus ROM

After powering on the 1st time, I didn't register with Amazon and didn't attach to WiFi until prompted by Kingroot.

Supertool steps used were;
    1. Install ADB & Fastbook drivers
    6. Root - install Kingroot 4.9.2 to root (takes 4-5 attempts) and then replace with SuperSU
    3. Disable OTA updates
    5. Install Flashfire

Nexus ROM install:
    a) Using Silk browser search for "XDA Fire Nexus ROM" - brings you to URL noted above
    b) Go to the download and download the latest Nexus ROM (2017-0208.zip)
    c) Follow the instructions in XDA for "Fresh installation from FireOS via FlashFire >= 0.55.1" . Grant Flashfire root via SuperSU when prompted.

Usual caveats apply - the above is just a record of what worked for me. Always a chance of a BRICK so be warned.

Android virgin here, so maybe someone can help.

Is Nexus the preferred ROM for this? I spent 4 hours on Monday and got CM 12.1 running, only to discover its no longer supported. Is it worth moving to Nexus before I get comfortable with it?

I'm considering picking up another 2 of them for myself and the missus for traveling. Insane value at £35. Actually, that reminds me. Is there any reason to buy the 16Gb over the 8GB + 64GB SDXC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Also to add to stimpson's questions (you eediot) is there any benefit in keeping the original Amazon os and just disabling updates and installing PlayStore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Have one on the way..... Anyone have a wall mount for these? Thinking it might be handy in the kitchen as a Spotify controller and something for a quick view of the house CCTV. Also thinking I might get one for above the front door permanently displaying the front door CCTV camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

SachaJ wrote: »
    Have one on the way..... Anyone have a wall mount for these? Thinking it might be handy in the kitchen as a Spotify controller and something for a quick view of the house CCTV. Also thinking I might get one for above the front door permanently displaying the front door CCTV camera.

Velcro strips will do the job , most hardware shops will stick them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ted1 wrote: »

I've seen Velcro adhesion to to wall or object surface fail. Personally, I'd just purchase a snap fit case, a couple of coyntersunk screws to the wall surface and just insert the tablet. Easy.

ted1 wrote: »

Pun intended or not :D?

Yeah I'm a fan of 3M Dual Lock and use it to secure all sorts of stuff - have it holding an nVidia Shield up behind the TV. Put that stuff on the wall though and it will pull the paint/plaster off. Other option is to mount a slim junction box to the wall for the power cable/plug and then the Dual Lock between the box and tablet.

Just went to buy another one and they are back up to £49.99.

The Kids Edition is down to £79.99 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Picked up two of these at GBP 35 each last week, nice piece of kit. Thanks to those who posted guides on side loading Play Store and disabling ads and updates. Will decide if it's worth rooting or not, only for the kids so will probably leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I'm trying to transfer mp4 and avi files to a Fire HD. Windows is telling me that I can't copy it as the device doesn't support mp4 or avi, but as far as Google tells me that's not the case.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm running Windows 10.

• Advertisement

Supertool steps used were;
    1. Install ADB & Fastbook drivers
    6. Root - install Kingroot 4.9.2 to root (takes 4-5 attempts) and then replace with SuperSU
    3. Disable OTA updates
    5. Install Flashfire

Nexus ROM install:
    a) Using Silk browser search for "XDA Fire Nexus ROM" - brings you to URL noted above
    b) Go to the download and download the latest Nexus ROM (2017-0208.zip)
    c) Follow the instructions in XDA for "Fresh installation from FireOS via FlashFire >= 0.55.1" . Grant Flashfire root via SuperSU when prompted.

Usual caveats apply - the above is just a record of what worked for me. Always a chance of a BRICK so be warned.

Any more granular tutorial around? Think of an iPhone user here and how dumbed down it should be :D

Just received mine today and it has 5.3.1.0

Any more granular tutorial around? Think of an iPhone user here and how dumbed down it should be :D

Just received mine today and it has 5.3.1.0

Thats a pretty dumbed down process explanation as is :-)

Just download the supertool by root junky and watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfxfZkI_l4I & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1Jax6vWjk Ignore the downgrade bit

PS If you've already connected the the tablet to the internet it may have downloaded the lasest OS update. It would be wise to do a factory reset before the tablet installs it. If you registered the tablet to your amazon account you'll need to do a reset too. Registered device have trouble rooting.

After a reset and at first logon skip connecting to your WiFi until kingroot is installed

EDIT:-Video link updated

Just download the supertool by root junky and watch this video https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjfyZDDyJ_SAhUkAsAKHYo_CfgQxa8BCBkwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=1mWaKLBEmFHLJ3chxFqxJg

PS If you've already connected the the tablet to the internet it may have downloaded the lasest OS update. It would be wise to do a factory reset before the tablet installs it. If you registered the tablet to your amazon account you'll need to do a reset too. Registered device have trouble rooting.

After a reset and at first logon skip connecting to your WiFi until kingroot is installed

Switch on the tablet only to check the FireOS version. Didn't connect to WiFi.

PS That link doesn't go to a video. But might have found it on the RootJunky site. Thanks

Just download the supertool by root junky and watch this video https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjfyZDDyJ_SAhUkAsAKHYo_CfgQxa8BCBkwAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA&sig2=1mWaKLBEmFHLJ3chxFqxJg

Good advice here. I had problems but a factory reset sorted it. Turn on wifi when you first run kingroot and you should be fine.

I picked up a third fire on Adverts yesterday. Just need one more :)

Switch on the tablet only to check the FireOS version. Didn't connect to WiFi.

PS That link doesn't go to a video. But might have found it on the RootJunky site. Thanks

link updated

Have to have a go again tomorrow. It was at 16% during the root and it rebooted and now the tablet is asking me to enter my Amazon password. Going to have to reset and start again.

Have to have a go again tomorrow. It was at 16% during the root and it rebooted and now the tablet is asking me to enter my Amazon password. Going to have to reset and start again.

There is a tutorial here on doing a hard restore. This is what I did when I had problems. Worked flawlessly after that. All the fire images are on Rootjunkys site.

On my 6th retry of KingRoot. Always seems to fail at 62%. Hold down power button to shut down, restart and try again.....

Did you do a you factory reset yet ? Remove any Sd cards and the usb cable from the PC too

Did you do a you factory reset yet ? Remove any Sd cards and the usb cable from the PC too

Yeah did a factory reset a while ago. Just trying it now without the USB cable attached. It seems to reboot at 16%, 32% and then fails at 62%. When it reboots I just swipe up so I can see the screen

• Advertisement

Restart the tablet after it fails, don't hit the retry button

Got it sorted. While trying to root the tablet would reboot itself a few times. Each time I was swiping up to keep an eye on progress. In the end I just set off the rooting process and didn't go near the tablet for half an hour. Coincidence or not but it worked.

The wife is impressed. The primary use will be for mounting near the front door and permanently displaying the front CCTV camera feed so she can see who is at the door before opening it. Not something she asked for but when I showed her last night she liked the idea. Only problem is the tablet struggles with a 3MP feed and will only show 3 frames per second. The camera itself is sending 10fps. Couldn't get tinyCam Pro to use hardware acceleration so I assume it's not available. Still 3fps is enough to see who is outside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Got it sorted. While trying to root the tablet would reboot itself a few times. Each time I was swiping up to keep an eye on progress. In the end I just set off the rooting process and didn't go near the tablet for half an hour. Coincidence or not but it worked.

The wife is impressed. The primary use will be for mounting near the front door and permanently displaying the front CCTV camera feed so she can see who is at the door before opening it. Not something she asked for but when I showed her last night she liked the idea. Only problem is the tablet struggles with a 3MP feed and will only show 3 frames per second. The camera itself is sending 10fps. Couldn't get tinyCam Pro to use hardware acceleration so I assume it's not available. Still 3fps is enough to see who is outside.

What else are you running on it- that its throttling the feed to 3 Frames per second? Something doesn't quite add up. I can get 18 frames a second from a drone @ 3MP (and run the Phantom software at the same time). Its not silky smooth- but its a far cry from 3 frames per second at the same time.

What else are you running on it- that its throttling the feed to 3 Frames per second? Something doesn't quite add up. I can get 18 frames a second from a drone @ 3MP (and run the Phantom software at the same time). Its not silky smooth- but its a far cry from 3 frames per second at the same time.

Nothing else really that should be throttling it. Have it on the Nexus ROM and just have tinyCam Pro, Chrome, and the Stay Awake app. That's it - as light as possible.

I also tried a different IP cam app and it was the same issue. Wifi was fine as tested it at 40Mbps out to the Internet. Might be something to do with the Nexus ROM maybe. Must try with the kids Fire tablets tonight and see.

BTW - are you using a Fire tablet with the Phantom? Have a 3 Advanced on order from Amazon and wondering what tablet to use. Reckon the iPhone 6 might just be too small. But does the Phantom send 3MP in FPV mode? It records in 3MP ok, but didn't think it would transmit it. Thought it was 720p maybe. Edit: the Phantom 4 sends 720p @ 30fps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- screen isn't great (and the wifi signal is not as good as from some other devices)- but it does work. You're right- its 720p. On a similar note- can you change the resolution of the camera down to a lower level- and up the framerate on the tablet? 3Mp for a door camera- is a bit over the top?

Yes- screen isn't great (and the wifi signal is not as good as from some other devices)- but it does work. You're right- its 720p. On a similar note- can you change the resolution of the camera down to a lower level- and up the framerate on the tablet? 3Mp for a door camera- is a bit over the top?

Well it's not just a door cam. It's also taking in where the cars are parked. I could knock it down to 1080p and see the difference. The Fire is just a monitor for the front door cam while I have Blue Iris running on a Windows machine for recordings. Of all cameras though, it's probably the front door where you might need the highest resolution at a later date for facial recognition. I'll try and see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

are you Mr and Mrs Smith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Berberis

Hi folks bought one of these in Argos before Christmas at the sale price and it has remained in its box unopened since then. Every time this thread gets a newpost I have a look and then say I should open up the box and get this tablet going.

But now the dilemma. After the first 20 pages I had thought I had got my head around this rooting or no rooting thing and upgrading/downgrading and removing ads.

But I’m totally lost again. Could someone please clear the following?

• I bought it in argos so does that mean I wont get these ads?
    • I will really only use it for browsing and the odd game of candy crush and maybe watch a football match on it (if I can download some apps) while waiting in car park for the family when their shopping.
    • Taking photos and reading books when on holidays.

Can I do all that with this tablet, without having to root or downgrade or whatever it is

Berberis wrote: »
    Hi folks bought one of these in Argos before Christmas at the sale price and it has remained in its box unopened since then. Every time this thread gets a newpost I have a look and then say I should open up the box and get this tablet going.

But now the dilemma. After the first 20 pages I had thought I had got my head around this rooting or no rooting thing and upgrading/downgrading and removing ads.

But I’m totally lost again. Could someone please clear the following?

• I bought it in argos so does that mean I wont get these ads?
    • I will really only use it for browsing and the odd game of candy crush and maybe watch a football match on it (if I can download some apps) while waiting in car park for the family when their shopping.
    • Taking photos and reading books when on holidays.

Can I do all that with this tablet, without having to root or downgrade or whatever it is

No it won't do any of that and it's really difficult to root. Here I'll give you €25 for it..... ;-)

Seriously. You can do all that without rooting it I expect. Camera is not the best for taking photos though. Your phone camera is probably much better. Might be ads on it but nothing to stress over really. Just ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Berberis

No it won't do any of that and it's really difficult to root. Here I'll give you €25 for it..... ;-)

Seriously. You can do all that without rooting it I expect. Camera is not the best for taking photos though. Your phone camera is probably much better. Might be ads on it but nothing to stress over really. Just ignore them.

Cheers Think I'll open up the box tonight so start it up :)

Advertisement