Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Berberis wrote: »
    Cheers Think I'll open up the box tonight so start it up :)

when you turn it on first don't put in your wifi settings, that'll stop it updating.

then check what version of firmware you're on. That'll decide what options are available to you re rooting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cheers Think I'll open up the box tonight so start it up :)

Yeah for sure. Open it up and use it for a while. Worst come to worst you'll get what you paid for it on Adverts or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hi folks bought one of these in Argos before Christmas at the sale price and it has remained in its box unopened since then. Every time this thread gets a newpost I have a look and then say I should open up the box and get this tablet going.

But now the dilemma. After the first 20 pages I had thought I had got my head around this rooting or no rooting thing and upgrading/downgrading and removing ads.

But I’m totally lost again. Could someone please clear the following?

• I bought it in argos so does that mean I wont get these ads?
    • I will really only use it for browsing and the odd game of candy crush and maybe watch a football match on it (if I can download some apps) while waiting in car park for the family when their shopping.
    • Taking photos and reading books when on holidays.

Can I do all that with this tablet, without having to root or downgrade or whatever it is
    Yes, to all the above. With ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just going through this now following all the helpful tips and the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1Jax6vWjk

I've just installed Kingroot, and I've opened the app but as I've not connected to WiFi yet it can't connect to the cloud.

If I turn on Wifi and it upgrades my Fire 7 above the current 5.3.1, can I still proceed with everything now that Kingroot is installed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just going through this now following all the helpful tips and the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1Jax6vWjk

I've just installed Kingroot, and I've opened the app but as I've not connected to WiFi yet it can't connect to the cloud.

If I turn on Wifi and it upgrades my Fire 7 above the current 5.3.1, can I still proceed with everything now that Kingroot is installed??

You want to turn on wifi when running Kingroot. It will complete before Fire has a chance to update.

If you're worried about it then see if you can block these domains on your router:

amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net
    amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net

• Advertisement

Think I'm good thanks (I missed the part in the vid where he said he reenabled wifi).. 40% rooted... cooome ooon baby

EDIT: Failed at 65% ... gah!

Crap better do this now as the System Updates is saying it'll update the second it gets a chance

OK that was an ordeal... got to 100% just as I was about to give up after 7 tries.

Now I'm at a screen for SuperSU saying whether to use custom recovery "NORMAL" or "TWRP/CWM"

Which path doth I go down?

I've also used the SuperTool to "Block OTA Updates from Amazon", I'm assuming this stops the pending 5.3.2 update from installing when I leave the tablet alone? It currently says there is an update ready to install.

OK that was an ordeal... got to 100% just as I was about to give up after 7 tries.

Now I'm at a screen for SuperSU saying whether to use custom recovery "NORMAL" or "TWRP/CWM"

Which path doth I go down?

I've also used the SuperTool to "Block OTA Updates from Amazon", I'm assuming this stops the pending 5.3.2 update from installing when I leave the tablet alone? It currently says there is an update ready to install.

Normal. When I saw the 5.3.2 update pending I did a hard reset (as I was having other issues anyway). Not sure you need to do that if you flash it. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't mind rooting.

Do the following as posted by Dodzy, get the Google Play Store on it, and take it from there.

P.S. Mine came from Argos with the ads. I went onto Live Chat on amazon, explained that nobody in the shop told me about the ads, blah, blah, and they were able to disable the ads there and then. I used Santa as an excuse though.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Just plugged mine in 30mins ago. On same version as yours so unrootable for the mo but.....

5 mins and you will be 'playstored'

Here ya go. No PC or SD card needed. You just need to grab a few APKs from the web using the stock silk browser.

First grab a free file manager from the Amazon app store - just search for FILE MANAGER (I took the first one found, File Commander). Then, through the Silk Browser navigate to the following links and download the 4 files. You will need to enable installation from unknown sources in settings. You will be prompted once you try to download the first of the .apks so just turn on the setting. I downloaded them all then went into the file manager, into downloads and then installed the 4 files in order.

5 mins later, the Play store icon will be on the bottom of your apps list.

Enjoy :)

Google Account Manager 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-account-manager/google-account-manager-5-1-1743759-release/google-account-manager-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

Google Services Framework 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-services-framework/google-services-framework-5-1-1743759-release/google-services-framework-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

Google Play Services 9.8.77 (230-135396225)
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-9-8-77-release/google-play-services-9-8-77-230-135396225-android-apk-download/

Google Play Store 7.0.25.H-all [0]
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/google-play-store-7-0-25-h-all-0-release/google-play-store-7-0-25-h-0-android-apk-download/

Soarer wrote: »
    Don't mind rooting.

Ah well I'm going to wipe it and put Nexus on it, so I think I need it rooted for that.

I didn't get an answer from anyone about whether it was worth keeping the Amazon OS, so I assume it isn't worth keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ah well I'm going to wipe it and put Nexus on it, so I think I need it rooted for that.

I didn't get an answer from anyone about whether it was worth keeping the Amazon OS, so I assume it isn't worth keeping.

It's really down to what you want to use it for. If you just need the playstore, a couple of unmentionable apps for entertainment, internet browsing, emails and the like (which I imagine would cover the vast majority of users), then absolutely no need to root.

dodzy wrote: »
    It's really down to what you want to use it for. If you just need the playstore, a couple of unmentionable apps for entertainment, internet browsing, emails and the like (which I imagine would cover the vast majority of users), then absolutely no need to root.

I guess I'd like to get as vanilla a system as possible and just install what I want on it without space being wasted on apps I don't need.

Also to be able to control all aspects of battery usage etc.

Small thing, is that Purity app that's installed when you root up to no good, or a decent app to keep?

Seems to have good reviews on the Play Store

Back down to £35 today

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

SachaJ wrote: »
    Back down to £35 today

For a couple of euro more, Argos are selling them for €44.00

For a couple of euro more, Argos are selling them for €44.00

That would require effort on my part...... Bought another two from Amazon already anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Is it even worth the 44

Vego wrote: »
    Is it even worth the 44

Quad core android tablet with decent build quality for less than 50 notes? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Kid has this since Christmas, did nothing with regard rooting etc. Ads finally appeared on it last week. No big deal. Still a fantastic bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

PC world will do a price match on the Argos price. Chances are they're on older stock with the rootable OS.

If I was in the market for a new one that's where I would go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Just ordered another 2 of these (already have one). Doesn't look like they're even going to send it until Thursday unfortunately which is too late for a Mother's Day present...

Ordered 20 Mar - Will dispatch 23 Mar - Arriving 29/30 Mar

Will report back with the installed firmware once they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just ordered another 2 of these (already have one). Doesn't look like they're even going to send it until Thursday unfortunately which is too late for a Mother's Day present...

Ordered 20 Mar - Will dispatch 23 Mar - Arriving 29/30 Mar

Will report back with the installed firmware once they arrive.

Also ordered, should have it Thursday (Prime, Parcel Wizard)..
    Hoping it's rootable firmware version - will report here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Creeping Death

How is this tablet for streaming through chrome?
    There are a couple of sites I use on my laptop, (123movies & solar).

I tried them out on my brothers GoClever Tablet through the chrome browser, and found it quite sluggish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sorry if answered but does this have Alexa?

Seems online like it does but I cannot get it working

I've used mine to stream stuff from Plex without issue so the hardware's up to the job.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sorry if answered but does this have Alexa?

Yes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202083830

I flashed another ROM on mine so can't double-check though.

Yes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202083830

I flashed another ROM on mine so can't double-check though.

Yeah that's what I read but long pressing the home button does nothing

The video in that link says Alexa can be turned on in Settings - Device Options. It also says Alexa will be disabled if Parental Controls are on.

The video in that link says Alexa can be turned on in Settings - Device Options. It also says Alexa will be disabled if Parental Controls are on.

Yeah I don't have any of that

• Advertisement

There are a couple of sites I use on my laptop, (123movies & solar).

I tried them out on my brothers GoClever Tablet through the chrome browser, and found it quite sluggish.

Just installed chrome there and tried 123 movies. No bother.

Rooted running cyanogen mod.

Advertisement