Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

stimpson wrote: »
    Rooted running cyanogen mod.

Could anyone who went down the road of getting rid of Amazon OS please comment on their experience with either CM or Nexus ROMs on the Fire??

As I understand it, CM was an unofficial version, and development at CM is stopped - just wondering if any issues, or indeed reasons to favour it over the vanilla Nexus ROM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Could anyone who went down the road of getting rid of Amazon OS please comment on their experience with either CM or Nexus ROMs on the Fire??

As I understand it, CM was an unofficial version, and development at CM is stopped - just wondering if any issues, or indeed reasons to favour it over the vanilla Nexus ROM?

Will soon be installing Nexus on this one and the other 2 I bought. And the 2 the missus just ordered. Seems to be the preferred ROM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sorry if answered but does this have Alexa?

Seems online like it does but I cannot get it working

I have the Alexa app on mine, but I have a long time UK Amazon account - that might make a difference? Not rooted or altered in any way and resident in ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have the Alexa app on mine, but I have a long time UK Amazon account - that might make a difference? Not rooted or altered in any way and resident in ROI.

The app is there, but none of the commands, or long press of the home actually work

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cardshark

If you switch your default marketplace from Amazon.co.uk to Amazon.com then Alexa will work on it.

On Amazon.co.uk:

Manage Your Content and Devices > Settings > Country Settings

Then click on the word "here" in blue and follow instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Picked one up in Argos today for €44 and had google playstore on it within half an hour using this guide

No other device needed to do it .

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Has anyone come across a wall mount for one of these devices? I'm looking to use one to manage home automation and a wall mount would be ideal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dazzy wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a wall mount for one of these devices? I'm looking to use one to manage home automation and a wall mount would be ideal.

If you read back a few pages- one of the guys is using one as a video monitor for his door- with the unit on his wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

If you read back a few pages- one of the guys is using one as a video monitor for his door- with the unit on his wall.

Well that's my plan anyway but not there yet. I was going to use some 3M Dual Lock on a thin junction box or something like that. I did look up a wall mount but they were stupid expansive. There are some 3D printer designs around which you can send to a company to print for you but again its not that cheap.

I'll try mounting mine this weekend once I get a length of CAT5/CAT6 to extend the USB power under the floorboards.

This is the cheapest way I can think of mounting the tablets.

Buy a length of this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201473714896

And one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291550694502

Mount the box to the wall and any cabling inside it. In might case I'll have some sort of CAT5/CAT6 cable connected to a micro USB cable.

Stick a couple of strips of the Dual Lock to the back of the tablet and matching strips to the plastic enclosure. Then attach like Velcro but it's much much stronger. I use this to mount my nVidia Sheild to the back of the TV and have used it attach hard drives to the inside of PC cases etc.

What I don't know at this stage is how the Dual Lock will adhere to the back of the Amazon tablet as it's not a perfectly smooth/shiney surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Does anybody know what version of FireOS the 8gb models from Argos and/or Amazon are running?

I went to a picture frame shop today with the 8" tablet and ordered a frame. I will need to cut out a piece on the inside of the frame to accommodate the micro USB but it will be hidden in the frame. Cost me €30. Getting it next week.
    SachaJ wrote: »
    This is the cheapest way I can think of mounting the tablets.

Buy a length of this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201473714896

And one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291550694502

Mount the box to the wall and any cabling inside it. In might case I'll have some sort of CAT5/CAT6 cable connected to a micro USB cable.

Stick a couple of strips of the Dual Lock to the back of the tablet and matching strips to the plastic enclosure. Then attach like Velcro but it's much much stronger. I use this to mount my nVidia Sheild to the back of the TV and have used it attach hard drives to the inside of PC cases etc.

What I don't know at this stage is how the Dual Lock will adhere to the back of the Amazon tablet as it's not a perfectly smooth/shiney surface.

Dazzy wrote: »
    I went to a picture frame shop today with the 8" tablet and ordered a frame. I will need to cut out a piece on the inside of the frame to accommodate the micro USB but it will be hidden in the frame. Cost me €30. Getting it next week.

Good idea. I'm expecting photos when you get it "mounted".....

Good idea. I'm expecting photos when you get it "mounted".....

I will if it looks good :-)

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Does anybody know what version of FireOS the 8gb models from Argos and/or Amazon are running?

Off hand I don't but I do know I could install Android on the one I got last time they were on sale (5/6 weeks ago).

Off hand I don't but I do know I could install Android on the one I got last time they were on sale (5/6 weeks ago).

Was that through Amazon or Argos?

Was that through Amazon or Argos?

Amazon UK. Hoping for the same again tbh.

Just checked. The one I got back in Feb had 5.3.1.0

Amazon UK. Hoping for the same again tbh.

I deliberately ordered mine as a gift as I figured less chance of it being updated if it's not registered to my account..
    Possibly wishful thinking on my part though..

I think I'll probably just pick one up in Argos tomorrow and hope it has 5.3.1 or earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I think I'll probably just pick one up in Argos tomorrow and hope it has 5.3.1 or earlier.

As I said before PC world wouldn't shift as much stock as quickly as argos or amazon. Their stock is most likely older. They will price match argos. I'd go there first if I was looking.

Getting a rootable Fire OS is a lottery and if you don't win you're stuck with Fire OS and it's not great.

The last rootable OS was 5.3.1. The following OS 5.3.2.0 could be downgraded to 5.3.1 but since January that's been replaced by the un-rootable 5.3.2.1 , it can't be downgraded.

As of 2 days ago there is a new fire OS 5.3.3.0 appearing on some tablets and so far it's un-rootable too. Won't be too long before it's rolled out to all tablets.

You could be waiting a long time before the new OS versions are rooted.

As I said before PC world wouldn't shift as much stock as quickly as argos or amazon. Their stock is most likely older. They will price match argos. I'd go there first if I was looking.

Getting a rootable Fire OS is a lottery and if you don't win you're stuck with Fire OS and it's not great.

The last rootable OS was 5.3.1. The following OS 5.3.2.0 could be downgraded to 5.3.1 but since January that's been replaced by the un-rootable 5.3.2.1 , it can't be downgraded.

As of 2 days ago there is a new fire OS 5.3.3.0 appearing on some tablets and so far it's un-rootable too. Won't be too long before it's rolled out to all tablets.

Yep bit of a lottery. My two shipped already so too late to cancel. They can be shelved until they become rootable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone know what android version the argos ones have?

quarryman wrote: »
    Anyone know what android version the argos ones have?

Nobody can answer that. You might be lucky and get an old fire OS , you might not.

It's a lottery and as the last rootable OS was release over 6mths ago with 3 updates since you'd be doing very well to get one.

IMO A price match on PC world stock would offer the best chance but there's no guarantee of getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,645 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd say That the Fire OS is perfectly good for about 90% of tablet users. Must just use a web browser and Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Nobody can answer that. You might be lucky and get an old fire OS , you might not.

It's a lottery and as the last rootable OS was release over 6mths ago with 3 updates since you'd be doing very well to get one.

IMO A price match on PC world stock would offer the best chance but there's no guarantee of getting one.

This chap might know?
    Picked one up in Argos today for €44 and had google playstore on it within half an hour using this guide

No other device needed to do it .

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

wiz569 wrote: »
    This chap might know?

What one person gets can vary to what the other gets. No guarantee what they received is what the next will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

What one person gets can vary to what the other gets. No guarantee what they received is what the next will get.

It would be a good indication as to what batches they have in stock,at the reduced price they are probably flogging of old stock thus increasing the chances of getting one with the needed firmware,maybe :)

wiz569 wrote: »
    It would be a good indication as to what batches they have in stock,at the reduced price they are probably flogging of old stock thus increasing the chances of getting one with the needed firmware,maybe :)

Just got mine, from Amazon
    5.3.1.0 so happy days..
    Hopefully I can root without turning it into a (rather attractive) brick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Greta gadget for the price. This is the *real basic* Nexus style ROM I’m running: https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-lmy49f-t3300714

But first you need root access via rootjunky’s SuperTool (it uses Kingroot): http://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/

Only rootable if FireOS v5.3.1.0 or lower.

I've two more on the way so keeping my fingers crossed for slightly older firmware.

Advertisement