Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Anyway of connecting this to a tv without a chromecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Anyway of connecting this to a tv without a chromecast

Miracast works on the Nexus Rom if you're TV is miracast enabled. Not sure about stock fire OS

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Just got mine, from Amazon
    5.3.1.0 so happy days..
    Hopefully I can root without turning it into a (rather attractive) brick :)

Good stuff, it's easy enough to root. Best results gotten when it's unregistered with amazon. If your router allows domain blocking you can block amazon updates from ever hitting the tablet. Can be handy while rooting. I posted the domains on this thread a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Good stuff, it's easy enough to root. Best results gotten when it's unregistered with amazon. If your router allows domain blocking you can block amazon updates from ever hitting the tablet. Can be handy while rooting. I posted the domains on this thread a while ago

Does it need an internet connection while rooting,or would you be safe enough once you don't connect to a WiFi point?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Does it need an internet connection while rooting,or would you be safe enough once you don't connect to a WiFi point?

Needs Internet If not registered with amazon it should root within one or two attempts. It's exposed to the update downloading but you can disable the update being applied when rooted using supertool.

If you have trouble rooting and the update downloads you can always clear the system cache and reset the tablet so it doesn't apply the update.

Blocking the update domain at router level stops all that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I think I've managed that on my router, though the URL filter doesn't allow enough characters to enter the edgesuite one..
    I've blocked *.edgesuite.net and hope that'll cover it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Dont have an option for that on this router,

Are you saying it might download the update but wont install it without permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Picked up one in Argos today. 5.3.1.0 on it.

Tangerine one in Jervis

wiz569 wrote: »
    Dont have an option for that on this router,

Are you saying it might download the update but wont install it without permission?

It'll download an update , it shouldn't install if rooted and then OTA updates are disabled using supertools. However if left unattended for long enough it may install.

Lots here have done it recently with success

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dazzy wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a wall mount for one of these devices? I'm looking to use one to manage home automation and a wall mount would be ideal.
    Dealz may still have those small TV wall mounts 100mmx 100mm for €1.50

glue or velcro it to the back of the fire , or get a case in Dealz and cut holes in it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just got mine, from Amazon
    5.3.1.0 so happy days..
    Hopefully I can root without turning it into a (rather attractive) brick :)
    What model is the power supply ?

If it's really old stock you may be able to send it back to Amazon for a refund.

What model is the power supply ?

If it's really old stock you may be able to send it back to Amazon for a refund.

Think that was discussed earlier..
    They're not sending out dodgy PSUs still..

Having trouble rooting, keeps failing..
    Going to do system reset and look with fresh eyes tomorrow.
    I might need to push a later version of king root from what I read somewhere - there's a later one than in the super tool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

SuperTool comes with Kingroot v4.9.2 and FlashFire v0.53

However, I needed Kingroot v4.9.6 to root and used FlashFire v0.55.1 to flash a diffferent ROM (I posted above).

EDIT: that was coming from FireOS v5.3.1.0

SuperTool comes with Kingroot v4.9.2 and FlashFire v0.53

However, I needed Kingroot v4.9.6 to root and used FlashFire v0.55.1 to flash a diffferent ROM (I posted above).

EDIT: that was coming from FireOS v5.3.1.0

Thanks - I'm 5.3.1 too..
    Just need to figure out how to adb an apk to the Fire, then get king root to install, on Linux, and I'm no Linux nerd :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Thanks - I'm 5.3.1 too..
    Just need to figure out how to adb an apk to the Fire, then get king root to install, on Linux, and I'm no Linux nerd :(
    I got everything except root working with supertool: http://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/

The KingRoot android app wasn't working for me, so I downloaded the PC application and it worked. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/one-click-root-tool-android-2-x-5-0-t3107461

Eh? SuperTool runs on Windows/Mac/Linux and the apks it uses are in its \apps folder. You don't need to push anything to the Fire yourself. Just download the updated Kingroot and FlashFire apks (apkmirror.com), copy them to the /apps folder on your desktop/laptop and finally, update .bat or .sh file to point to the updated apks.

Eh? SuperTool runs on Windows/Mac/Linux and the apks it uses are in its \apps folder. You don't need to push anything to the Fire yourself. Just download the updated Kingroot and FlashFire apks (apkmirror.com), copy them to the /apps folder on your desktop/laptop and finally, update .bat or .sh file to point to the updated apks.

Sorry to turn this into a help desk thread, but I presume renaming the new apks to the same as the old ones will remove the last step (which I wouldn't have a clue on?)

Yeah, same thing. I just prefer tinkering in scripts rather than renaming flashfire-0.55.1.apk to flashfire-0.53.apk :)

Yeah, same thing. I just prefer tinkering in scripts rather than renaming flashfire-0.55.1.apk to flashfire-0.53.apk :)

Success - thanks rustledjimmies - now to flash the ROM!

Well done. I'll probably brick mine next week trying the same thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I bought one yesterday (Argos Dun Laoghaire), it had 5.3.1. Didn't read the instructions properly and it ended up upgrading to 5.3.3 by itself. The tutorial shared by Wild Turkey worked fine to install play Store on 5.3.3 and all the Google apps, so happy days.

Still tempted to go for rooting and installing Nexus ROM. Did anyone get it working on 5.3.3?

Zynks wrote: »
    I bought one yesterday (Argos Dun Laoghaire), it had 5.3.1. Didn't read the instructions properly and it ended up upgrading to 5.3.3 by itself. The tutorial shared by Wild Turkey worked fine to install play Store on 5.3.3 and all the Google apps, so happy days.

Still tempted to go for rooting and installing Nexus ROM. Did anyone get it working on 5.3.3?

My understanding is anything later than 5.3.1 is currently unrootable.. you'd need to keep an eye on xda developers to see if an exploit is found..

Edit: on further reading, 5.3.2 (but NOT 5.3.2.1) can be downgraded to 5.3.1.0 and then rooted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I bought one of these earlier to see what it's like (edit - just bought another 2 as they look decent online and cheaper than other retailers). If it's a decent hard case I might just drill 2 holes in it and mount directly to the wall with screws. Don't mind the blue which I could just spray black. Also might get a sharp knife to the screen cover and cut it out.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112270351905

I also bought one of these if I want to mount the tablet higher up and angle it down. Again a couple machine screws through the case to attach to the bracket.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380320841304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How do I allow KingRoot to continuously retry (which seems to require network access) without the device installing the 5.3.2 update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

quarryman wrote: »
    How do I allow KingRoot to continuously retry (which seems to require network access) without the device installing the 5.3.2 update?

I don't think you can make it continuously install you just need to keep retrying manually. It won't install 5.3.2 instantly so you should have enough time to get it rooted.

I have 4 devices on my desk for rooting. I don't get paid enough for this...

This is torturous, KingRoot failing over and over and over and over.....

edit: and it worked. Finally.

stimpson wrote: »
    I don't think you can make it continuously install you just need to keep retrying manually. It won't install 5.3.2 instantly so you should have enough time to get it rooted.

I have 4 devices on my desk for rooting. I don't get paid enough for this...

Thanks. Yeah I decided to disconnect the wifi every time I decided it had got its "rules from the cloud" and then let it attempt the root.

All done now, rooted and Google Play store installed.

Good value for €45. But my god is the screen bad. I guess I'm used to higher res stuff but the screen on this is really awful. Very muddy and pixelated. Glad it'll be used by a 4 year old you probably won't complain too much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Thanks. Yeah I decided to disconnect the wifi every time I decided it had got its "rules from the cloud" and then let it attempt the root.

All done now, rooted and Google Play store installed.

Good value for €45. But my god is the screen bad. I guess I'm used to higher res stuff but the screen on this is really awful. Very muddy and pixelated. Glad it'll be used by a 4 year old you probably won't complain too much...

For the price it's a bargain. My 7yo, 4yo and 3yo love theirs and never once complained about the screen. Theirs is still running FireOS but once the subscription to the Amazon kids content expires I'll move theirs over to Android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is torturous, KingRoot failing over and over and over and over.....

edit: and it worked. Finally.

Did you reboot between attempts?

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Did you reboot between attempts?

The only reboots I did we were the automatic ones kingroot were doing. I was a bit paranoid about the device updating to 5.3.2 as it had already downloaded the update and informed me it would install it soon.

Strange bit of software the way it takes so many attempts to work...

Advertisement