Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon fire 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've a Fire 7 tablet for nearly 12 months now and find it great for the price I paid for it. First thing I did with it was install Google Play Store and then install my favorite apps. Yes it has adverts but I just ignore them rather than trying to root it.

I'd say you will struggle to find any 10" tablet as good as the Fire at that price.

Re. removing ads - if you contact Amazon direct and ask them to remove the ads, they might. They did for me (I bought mine in store, didn't realise it would have the adverts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, they aren't really a problem for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've a Fire 7 tablet for nearly 12 months now and find it great for the price I paid for it. First thing I did with it was install Google Play Store and then install my favorite apps. Yes it has adverts but I just ignore them rather than trying to root it.

I'd say you will struggle to find any 10" tablet as good as the Fire at that price.

Found the Lenovo Tab 4 10 for 10e less in Harvey Normans.
    Slightly lower screen res but at that size i doubt its noticeable.

Good reviews too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I don't really notice them much myself, but someone posted a tip on how to remove them for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just got my new fire HD 8, anybody got any tips? I’ve never had one of these kinds of tablets.

I’m mainly buying it for reading but may use it for other stuff...

Is it best to buy books from amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

2 questions i want to ask:

What has happened to the almost 4GB in Miscellaneous of the 5.64 GB as it's telling me that i'm almost running out?

Also how do you De-Register as the person who set it up for me with 3rd party apps, as they had it on their ipad, as i actually thought it would be hard but the great people on here had good tips.

As he had to register in his name, but i've realised you will lose the content & bookmarks.

As Amazon won't tell me about the Missing/Misc Memory as it's not in my account & just giving me generic instructions on De-registering.

As the apps go, some are SD Compatible, some can go there, but would i have to d/load all of them again?

What are the steps for this?

Thanks for any help received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Got 2 the other day. A big underwhelmed sadly. Screen is so so and everything just feels a bit laggy.

Downloaded the Google APKs but despite many efforts Gmail keeps crashing. Not the units fault I know. Has anyone has got Gmail to work?

It's an ok tablet and very cheap, but kind of feels it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

Got 2 the other day. A big underwhelmed sadly. Screen is so so and everything just feels a bit laggy.

Downloaded the Google APKs but despite many efforts Gmail keeps crashing. Not the units fault I know. Has anyone has got Gmail to work?

two 7s or the 8s???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Gmail crashes every time I open it.

• Advertisement

the fire 8 is much better than the 7 tbh.
    well worth the extra money.

glasso wrote: »
    the fire 8 is much better than the 7 tbh.
    well worth the extra money.

Agreed, we have 1 of each at home, the 7 is for the small fella and it's fine, but the 8 is noticeably faster/smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

+1 for the fire 8 . Huge difference to the 7 . a much sturdier easier to use tablet

dulpit wrote: »
    Agreed, we have 1 of each at home, the 7 is for the small fella and it's fine, but the 8 is noticeably faster/smoother.

has the same cpu but the extra 1/2 Gb of ram seems to make a big difference. also a better screen, stereo vs mono sound, more storage and much longer battery life (nearly x2).
    a very good deal when on offer for £50.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I've just had another kindle go down with the charge port issue... It's really not good enough to sell them with this known issue :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Fire 8 with Alexa HD for 59,snapped for Santa.
    Purely as they were out of the 2gb 7.
    Even still , 10 quid more good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

ImARebel wrote: »
    I've just had another kindle go down with the charge port issue... It's really not good enough to sell them with this known issue :(

Yes, it seems to be a common occurrence. But in fairness to Amazon, they replace them free of charge so obviously they know about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

While in warranty this one is just outside it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

ImARebel wrote: »
    While in warranty this one is just outside it :(

I'd still contact them on live chat. I've bought lots from Amazon over the years and they've still replaced items for me even if little over warranty. Tell them you're a loyal customer etc etc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Stiro05

I got a fire hd8 yesterday for 59.99 in Argos and it's back up to 109 today. I bought it not knowing I already had 1 bought me so if someone in mayo wants it they can have it at price paid, if not I will be returning it today to Argos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stiro05 wrote: »
    I got a fire hd8 yesterday for 59.99 in Argos and it's back up to 109 today. I bought it not knowing I already had 1 bought me so if someone in mayo wants it they can have it at price paid, if not I will be returning it today to Argos

If you dont find a local taker- I'll happily take it off your hands- however, it'll be the new year before I'm in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Stiro05

Well conductor I should be able to keep until then if noone wants it's locally. It's no problem to return it just was thinking it would help someone out seeing they have gone back up to 109. I will keep you informed if it goes before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    two 7s or the 8s???

7's. Will probably return one of them.

Discodog wrote: »
    Gmail crashes every time I open it.

may or not work - not a pure android tablet after all.
    one option is to try an older version of gmail from apkmirror
    or else try inbox which is another gmail app

Hi
    Got in touch with Amazon this am and they removed the ads for me.

The tablet updated itself to OS 5.6.0.0

Is there anything I can do to install Google Play onto it?

Also how do I get rid of the unwanted Amazon Aps on the home screen?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheTorment wrote: »
    Hi
    Got in touch with Amazon this am and they removed the ads for me.

The tablet updated itself to OS 5.6.0.0

Is there anything I can do to install Google Play onto it?

Also how do I get rid of the unwanted Amazon Aps on the home screen?

Thanks

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/

There's a link to a different launcher posted a couple of pages back on this thread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/

There's a link to a different launcher posted a couple of pages back on this thread too.

I had to use this one from How-to Geek as the above one was greyed out for me no matter what I did. It seems to be the exact same steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I've just followed the steps here: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/ to install Google Play on my Mother's Fire Tablet.

How can I add the Play Store Icon to the home page? I also downloaded Youtube as per the instructions in that video but neither are showing up unless I search for them in the search bar on the home screen :confused:

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I've just followed the steps here: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/ to install Google Play on my Mother's Fire Tablet.

How can I add the Play Store Icon to the home page? I also downloaded Youtube as per the instructions in that video but neither are showing up unless I search for them in the search bar on the home screen :confused:

Install a different launcher (e.g. Nova) and use this link to have it replace the fire launcher: https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

One more quick question sorry. Seems like you can't buy the amazon 7 kids if in Ireland, and Parcel Motel restrictions are 41x38x68cm and less than 10kilos.

Do you reckon the packaging would go over those restrictions?

Advertisement