Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to keep cats off the bonnet of my car

• 25-11-2016 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭

I've never had this problem before but it seems a cat has taken to using my bonnet and occasionally roof as a place of rest.

Is there anything i can coat or spray the panels with to repel them ? So far it's only little dirty paw prints but obviously there's a big fear of having the paint scratched.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Train a dog to sit on the bonnet to keep the cat away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Give it some handbrake when you're on a roundabout, that'll shake the hairy rat off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've heard Lion piss is a great deterrent for errant cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Happened to me a long time ago where there was this cat who'd sit on the bonnet of the van. Constantly hunting him off it and came to an end when I didn't see him for a while.

Came home to see him mashed to pieces in my parking spot one day, he had taken to napping up inside the engine bay as there was cat fur all over the battery case. I had driven over him before he could escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭theminstrel

Connect an electric fence to the car. One shock from that will keep him away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Isn't there Cat pellets you can buy that stop a cat coming near your plants to take a dump? You could put a few around the car on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I do recall that there is a spray that you can use to ward them off.

* EDIT, seems to be a load of them on Amazon and ebay. Worth a shot!*
    Isn't there Cat pellets you can buy that stop a cat coming near your plants to take a dump? You could put a few around the car on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion lads, i'll look into the spray and the plants thing too.

I am sure the other suggestions were funny inside the posters heads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

minikin wrote: »
    Give it some handbrake when you're on a roundabout, that'll shake the hairy cat off.

Cat was spelled wrong... I have fixed this! Imagine mixing up rats and cats... You'd want to be blind :eek:

Tossy, I have a mirouku over and under try creosote or Jeyes (howa ya) fluid

Cat was spelled wrong... I have fixed this! Imagine mixing up rats and cats... You'd want to be blind :eek:

Tossy, I have a mirouku over and under try creosote or Jeyes (howa ya) fluid

I thought about the over and under but my shot isn't great i'd do more damage to the bonnet than any cat lol.

I think Jeyes fluid might be very hard on the paint, that's my main concern with these spray on solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

tossy wrote: »
    I thought about the over and under but my shot isn't great i'd do more damage to the bonnet than any cat lol.

I think Jeyes fluid might be very hard on the paint, that's my main concern with these spray on solutions.

Slug shot, be grand! Double ought buck if you want to be daring :D:D:D

Oh no, never on the car! Say in a plastic container or around the car, wouldn't put it on the paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Sure a little 4-10 wouldn't even mark the paint, do a nice job on a cat though :P

Have ya tried some nice slippery wax??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just get a spray bottle of water. Anytime you see him there just a few quirts of water will send him running.
    Eventually he will get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Have gun will travel.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Have ya tried some nice slippery wax??

The last thing i want is the cat breaking out the nails for grip lol
    Just get a spray bottle of water. Anytime you see him there just a few quirts of water will send him running.
    Eventually he will get the message.

I can't sit in wait,it's happening when i am in bed at night or in the morning after working nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I've had this problem before.
    i have an airsoft gun.
    I dont have this problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

Birdseed on the bonnet works wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

I came out to the Caddy one morning, to find some sticky fluid on the bottom of my windscreen.

Took a wet cloth and cleaned it off while I had the Caddy warming up (fan on full blast to clear the foggy windscreen)

Hopped into the van and the smell of cat's p*ss was unreal... the b*stard had pissed down into the cabin filter!

Had to stop using the fan until I got a chance to change the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Plan A:

Get some cat repellent , something like this

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/cat-repellent-crystals.html

spread it around where you park the car, and even put some into a plastic cap and leave it sitting on the bonnet.

or Plan B

one of these
    https://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Cat_Traps_Humane.html
    combined with
    any of these
    http://www.glockmeister.com/9-mm/products/4/

• Advertisement

.. the b*stard had pissed down into the cabin filter!

Had to stop using the fan until I got a chance to change the filter.

Ah FFS!! Is this Daniel from Autostadt with the MK4 ?
    pa990 wrote: »
    Plan A:

Get some cat repellent , something like this

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/cat-repellent-crystals.html

spread it around where you park the car, and even put some into a plastic cap and leave it sitting on the bonnet.

or Plan B

one of these
    https://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Cat_Traps_Humane.html
    combined with
    any of these
    http://www.glockmeister.com/9-mm/products/4/

I presume i can get the replant stuff in an good pet shop or woodies ?

If the fooker pisses into my cabin filter i'll be definitely employing plan B lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

OP cats hate the scent of citrus.

Maybe dilute some Citronella or Orange/Lemon Oil with some water and spray on top of the car? Obviously you'd have to repeat any time it rains.

OSI wrote: »
    I highly doubt a cat would piss in a cabin filter, they're usually incredibly private about doing their "business".

Why so serious ? :D

Ah FFS!! Is this Daniel from Autostadt with the MK4 ?

If the fooker pisses into my cabin filter i'll be definitely employing plan B lol

That's me :D Who's this, I don't recognise the username??
    I highly doubt a cat would piss in a cabin filter, they're usually incredibly private about doing their "business".

I'm nearly sure it was a cat - I had the pawprints on the windscreen / bonnet too! :confused:
    The smell was absolutely rotten :(

That's me :D Who's this, I don't recognise the username??

Shane, from the wild Atlantic way run.

Shane, from the wild Atlantic way run.

Ah ha! White S3, of course!

No wonder you want to keep the cat off it :eek:

Ah ha! White S3, of course!

No wonder you want to keep the cat off it :eek:

I think white is the problem the paw prints are very noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Speak to many cats ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Get Off spray works. You can get it in pet shops. I'm not sure how it would be with the paint work so perhaps just spray it around the area.
    Alternatively, put an expensive cat bed on your bonnet. The cat will be sure to avoid it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

park vertically, polish bonnet first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

The best cat deterant ever :D

Advertisement