Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for games console

Options
  • 25-11-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have two kids 4 and 7. Being trying to keep them away from computer games because they are addictive but now don't want them to be odd one out so thinking of getting one and say limiting it to thirty mins a week or whatever.

So confused as to whether to get a wii, ps4 or xbox.

I like the idea of being able to play games that involve movement e.g bowling or javeline - so the wii looks good for that. Something that especially might help the 4 year with coordination would be great as he's balance sometimes isn't very steady (yes I bring them to playgrounds and sports before anyone jumps in with that)

But then also wouldn't mind a decent football game so PS4 or xbox better for that I guess.

Any advice appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

To be honest the Wii can be used with very minimal movement so I wouldn't rely on it for that. Games are better quality on the Xbox ps4 but to be honest it doesn't matter what console they have if you are worried about games being 'addictive' (which they're not). It all comes down to setting time boundaries from the start. I'm not even talking about duration but that you now know when you service time is up that's it. We use a beeping timer. Doesn't matter if the kids have been playing for twenty minutes or over an hour. Once the beeper goes they come off the games no problem. Works for us anyhow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

So far we have managed to avoid them wanting to play with consoles despite having playstations and xboxes here but they do love when they are allowed use the tablets.
    I don't think 30 minutes a week is realistic,30 a day after homework is done and lal their jobs are done though might work.

What games is it that they want to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Got an oldish X-box from a relative, I bought the kinect with x-box adventures on adverts. Also there's a star-wars game.
    At ages 4 and 7 they won't mind playing the freeview games on x-box live (like sonic etc). It encourages turn taking/spatial awareness/hand eye coordination/reflexes/problem solving...
    They get a good bit of exercise, I tried it myself a few times and was fairly beat after trying to 'show off' how to do it properly.

Kids that age don't expect the latest console, get a 2nd hand if you can and keep it simple. We don't play it too often (maybe once every 2 weeks) and the rules are that all chores are done and it's not too late in the evening, usually about 10am or 3pm on weekends. Agree on 'the rules' beforehand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

30 minutes a day for a four year old?I do think that's unreasonably high, especially if they will be watching tv as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

30 minutes a day for a four year old?I do think that's unreasonably high, especially if they will be watching tv as well.

I don't think it's too high as long as there is a break afterwards for some personal interaction. TV is far more passive than gaming (suitable gaming) imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

for the 4 year old, you will probably be playing the games with him/her, or the 7 year old will be helping her

An xbox 360 will be fine at this age, there are millions of great games and you can pick them up for nothing, things like the kinect, 2nd/3rd controllers are cheaper too

The price differential isn't that big anymore though, so if money isn't a big deal, you should go for the current generation. you can get a new current gen xbox for €230ish

I prefer my kids to be playing games than watching videos on tv or a tablet, especially if they're playing together

Minecraft is essential, but other great games for kids are battleblocks theatre, Rainman origins, Dungeon defenders, Banjo and Kazooee nuts and bolts, Toy Story 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

May not be what you're looking for, but how about a RetroPi? I set one up for my nieces (5 and 7) recently and they're loving the old school games! Cheap as chips since it's just a raspberry pi and you can pick up some snes-ish controllers for a few quid online. The kids have access to hundreds of NES, SNES, Megadrive etc games all for the total price of (about) fifty quid and it doesn't need a techie to set up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

30 minutes a week is fairly slack to be honest, 30 minutes a day is more realistic if they do get interested in it, just cut it from their TV time if you need.

I think an XBOX 360 is a good shout, cheap, easy to get and loads of child friendly games available, still gets FIFA and other AAAs for yourself.

Are games addictive? I know WoW type games are but that's a specific design instead of your average game

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

If I had kids I would much prefer them playing games than watching television. Television is completely passive and doesn't take much brain power, games on the other hand require critical thinking, improve reactions and encourage teamwork if it's co-operative play.

I always found the Wii to be a bit of a gimmick to be honest, anecdotally with younger cousins they tend to see it as a chore rather than something to be enjoyed. Most kids would rather play real sports versus Wii sports.

You can get very good puzzle games these days for kids or maybe a bit of Fifa would teach them about football and start an interest outside of the gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Firstly OP games aren't addictive... they're just fun to play. Millions of people a day sit down and watch hours of TV it's no different.

30 minutes a week is just madness to be honest I was limited at home as a kid to one hour a day, most games barley start after 30 minutes so it's kind of a pointless limit, one hour would be grand.

Buying a 360 or PS3 would also be a chore, unless bought on Adverts you're paying almost as much and sourcing games becomes more annoying as well, bigger chance of breaking etc. If you can afford it, let Santa deliver a PS4.

Games wise there's a ton of games on both platforms for kids - but for unparalleled kids experiences the Wii U is the best bet. The problem is games are fairly sparse on it but 90% of the titles are kids and family games - Mario Kart is the first that comes to mind as well as things like Mario Party - both right there both kids can play together. I don't imagine either will get addicted (as such a thing is ludicrous) but maybe will be more vested out the gate than later on - as in if Santa brings it they'll love it but their interest will soften to a few hours a week or so.

Like I was given a limit as a kid and I'm 21 now and I'd sit and play for 8 hours straight, they didn't improve my chances of not loving it - but my cousin who had the same deal barely touched his PS3 bar playing some FIFA with his friends.

We all want the best for our children but I think worrying about them becoming addicted is a bit OTT to be fair - it's just some entertainment- honestly you genuinely may as well say "you can only listen to music 30 minutes a week as you'll get addicted", it's just another form of fun for kids (and adults). But i wouldn't be in agreement with getting an old console like Xbox 360. I their friends are all playing PS4's or Xbox one then that's the one you want to get tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    Firstly OP games aren't addictive...

We all want the best for our children but I think worrying about them becoming addicted is a bit OTT to be fair - it's just some entertainment- honestly you genuinely may as well say "you can only listen to music 30 minutes a week as you'll get addicted", it's just another form of fun for kids (and adults). But i wouldn't be in agreement with getting an old console like Xbox 360. I their friends are all playing PS4's or Xbox one then that's the one you want to get tbh.
    There actually isn't any good research to show how some kids may get addicted and how they can harm them or not harm them.

We just make the best opinions on what we see. Why do people want to get into debates about parenting, casting judgement, thinking they know better etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

30 minutes a week is fairly slack to be honest, 30 minutes a day is more realistic if they do get interested in it, just cut it from their TV time if you need.

I think an XBOX 360 is a good shout, cheap, easy to get and loads of child friendly games available, still gets FIFA and other AAAs for yourself.

Are games addictive? I know WoW type games are but that's a specific design instead of your average game
    Edups2.0 wrote: »
    Firstly OP games aren't addictive... they're just fun to play. Millions of people a day sit down and watch hours of TV it's no different.

30 minutes a week is just madness to be honest I was limited at home as a kid to one hour a day, most games barley start after 30 minutes so it's kind of a pointless limit, one hour would be grand.

Buying a 360 or PS3 would also be a chore, unless bought on Adverts you're paying almost as much and sourcing games becomes more annoying as well, bigger chance of breaking etc. If you can afford it, let Santa deliver a PS4.

Games wise there's a ton of games on both platforms for kids - but for unparalleled kids experiences the Wii U is the best bet. The problem is games are fairly sparse on it but 90% of the titles are kids and family games - Mario Kart is the first that comes to mind as well as things like Mario Party - both right there both kids can play together. I don't imagine either will get addicted (as such a thing is ludicrous) but maybe will be more vested out the gate than later on - as in if Santa brings it they'll love it but their interest will soften to a few hours a week or so.

Like I was given a limit as a kid and I'm 21 now and I'd sit and play for 8 hours straight, they didn't improve my chances of not loving it - but my cousin who had the same deal barely touched his PS3 bar playing some FIFA with his friends.

Totally agree with edups, I loved final fantasy and dragon quest as a kid and you can't get anywhere in a game like that in half an hour, an hour a day would probably be fine for a 4 and 7 year old and the 7 year old would get more out of it. I'd maybe set up separate times for them at weekends because like someone else said the 4 year old will either be playing with you or them and the seven year old might want some time to themselves I know I did. Wow isn't addictive if anything after a while I got sick of it you finish the main story and then get bored being a completionist. I still like it and go back once or twice a year but its not addictive. I'd go with an old console xbox or ps3 because theres more games and options with their plus services. Plus then the kids can try cheap or free games and find the genre they like just like with tv (also not addictive).

Kids get used to schedule so say you have an hour after dinner and homework and they'll get used to it. There may be complaints but they'll get over it (mostly over which games to play or someone hogging the good controller etc kids will be kids). Plus after the novelty wears off they will probally play it less until they get into a game and then they might be more difficult to get off it but the egg timer might help with that. My main annoyance was games which only saved after cutscenes or boss battles so you'd work all the way there and buzz have to get off. My dad started giving me a five minute warning before time ran out so I learned to plan better around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I work alongside organisations that run parenting courses with psychologists and they recommend no more than 30 minutes of screen time a day for 3- 4 year olds. I know under twos are not recommended any screen time as I read that it can be damaging to their eyes.

I think 30 minutes a week is perfectly acceptable, the kids aren't at an age where they need to be "getting into" a game. It sounds like a good weekend treat and not entertainment that is relied on. Kids that age should be learning through play.

Advertisement