Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Guilt

Options
  • 25-11-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

So guys I have had two Apple TVs over the years and a complete Apple environment at home...

... Until Saturday when I bought a Minix U1. Lads, Apple need to put some serious work into the Apple TV... There's simply no comparison in terms of performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed,,,I've the ATV4 as well as the Nvidia Shield and the Shield leaves it in the dust.
    Don't even use the ATV now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

So guys I have had two Apple TVs over the years and a complete Apple environment at home...

... Until Saturday when I bought a Minix U1. Lads, Apple need to put some serious work into the Apple TV... There's simply no comparison in terms of performance.

is that the one with the big aerial?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What's good about it? I've never even heard of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I think Kodi was dropped for the ATV2 but 3 and 4 are still there, same sure as dropping it from older android versions time to time

I have the same I think Mini Neo or something but if Kodi works in ATV can't see there being any difference IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

They're a great piece of kit indeed, but the 2gb/16gb trongle for half the price is a worthy competitor IMO. Definitely worth a look For anyone thinking along android streaming box lines.

Trongle

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    They're a great piece of kit indeed, but the 2gb/16gb trongle for half the price is a worthy competitor IMO. Definitely worth a look For anyone thinking along android streaming box lines.

Trongle

Just on the streaming what's the 2GB over 1GB diff? You know for phones and tablets I get it but say using Kodi, Netflix etc what's the benefit?

Is it faster opening of streams and thay? Would have assumed net speed would be more beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What is the actual benefit?
    I'm curious, as my ATV3 is starting to seem dated (and I'm buying into Philips Hue, and contemplating changing to ATV4)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Just on the streaming what's the 2GB over 1GB diff? You know for phones and tablets I get it but say using Kodi, Netflix etc what's the benefit?

Is it faster opening of streams and thay? Would have assumed net speed would be more beneficial?
    it makes for a far more responsive box all round. You'll notice the difference immediately. For the minimal extra outlay, it's a nobrainer. I source many for friends and family and I would not even look at a 1GB ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Yep. That's the one. 
    Dardania wrote: »

I'm curious, as my ATV3 is starting to seem dated (and I'm buying into Philips Hue, and contemplating changing to ATV4)
    Access to Kodi etc and there is no wait times for anything to load.

Yep. That's the one. 

Access to Kodi etc and there is no wait times for anything to load.
    not having wait times to load I can understand, but what does kodi offer? ability to stream from local sources (e.g. DLNA)?

• Advertisement

not having wait times to load I can understand, but what does kodi offer? ability to stream from local sources (e.g. DLNA)?
    Best off just having a look for yourself.

Best off just having a look for yourself.
    Cheers. You're selling it well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Most of the benefits you cannot talk about on this board.

Tefral wrote: »

Okay - thanks for that. Makes sense...
    Maybe the desire to run kobi appeals to a different demographic than those that use apple tv so?
    I do find it limiting that I cannot get TV shows streamed to my ATV (unless they're available on Netflix...which is not always) and for that I agree with OP: Apple would need to step up their game. Apparently a lot of the time, with people that use pirate content, it isn't because it's free, it's just that the legal option is so much more hassle.

Tefral wrote: »

Precisely why I made the above suggestion. I dunno if it's a demographic thing, my friend who told me about it is in his 30s and loves it, as does his father who is in his 70s. There's other options too like adding plex if you have a home media center, or to play music through it. Or simply have an internet browser, if you were stuck for one.

They ban you for discussing it's... eh "benefits" on here if you get me ;)

OSI wrote: »

Apple won't provide you with official methods to obtain content from illegal sources? The ****ing shams! :mad:
    The performance of Netflix, Spotify.. Playing media in general smokes ATV from what I have seen. Admittedly I have no experience the 4th gen one. Minix don't give you official methods either, you do that yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The performance of Netflix, Spotify.. Playing media in general smokes ATV from what I have seen. Admittedly I have no experience the 4th gen one. Minix don't give you official methods either, you do that yourself.

No, but thats obviously what it is built for. Apple have too much invested with the film and music companies to be seen to be facilitating piracy. You see how well they've locked down ATV 3 and 4 against jailbreaking.

whiterebel wrote: »

No, but thats obviously what it is built for. Apple have too much invested with the film and music companies to be seen to be facilitating piracy. You see how well they've locked down ATV 3 and 4 against jailbreaking.
    The same could be said for any android device!? Which is not the case. (I never thought I'd defend Android!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

OSI wrote: »
    Apple won't provide you with official methods to obtain content from illegal sources? The ****ing shams! :mad:

Plex is available for the ATV and supports streaming dodgy content.

I also have both a 4th gen ATV and an Nvidia Shield and the Shield smokes the ATV. 4K support is a huge drop of the ball from Apple. Plex on Android is far far better as you have a proper Plex interface instead of the Applified version.

Game streaming is fantastic too. I sold my Steam link box as it had nothing else to offer. The controller is not great but I recently discovered that it supports the XBox controller.

The only thing that I prefer on the ATV is the remote TBH, and that's not such a big deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement