Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choices / Careers

Options
  • 25-11-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

In Junior Cert year at present and will soon be asked to pick subjects for the LC.

Have the following in mind:

Irish/English/Maths/German/Accounting/Physics/Applied Maths

Will these choices give me a broad enough choice of course/career options when CAO comes around?

I'm strong and enjoy anything mathematical. I have so far considered Actuarial Science or Engineering but what if I change my mind to something like Teaching or Healthcare? Will I regret my subject choices and feel limited/restricted??

Hope you can help me figure it out. Would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EmmaH1997

Hi daretodream.
    With physics and applied maths you're definitely well suited + prepared to engineering. However if you do want to do something healthcare-y then for most courses you will need to science subjects and in that case chemistry+biology would probably be best. Still tho if you enjoy physics and applied maths and have a natural flair for these subjects,engineering would be a good fit for you careerwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

EmmaH1997 wrote: »
    Hi daretodream.
    With physics and applied maths you're definitely well suited + prepared to engineering. However if you do want to do something healthcare-y then for most courses you will need to science subjects and in that case chemistry+biology would probably be best. Still tho if you enjoy physics and applied maths and have a natural flair for these subjects,engineering would be a good fit for you careerwise.

Leaning towards actuarial tbh. Am I still on the right track?

Leaning towards actuarial tbh. Am I still on the right track?
    Economics would probably be a better choice than accounting if it is available for something like actuarial science.
    Other choices sound good.

My friend is actually doing actuarial studies(or whatever the course name is) in UCD and she did german,economics,accounting and physics so you have a lot in common.You're still in 3rd year so I would probs recommend economics which I did, its a nice course. We were finished by xmas 6th year and this was with a lot of frees(one a week for prob 5 months of each school year) from our teacher so if you have no such problem then you could be finish by october/november.There is also a lot of choice in the LC re. exam questions.

EmmaH1997 wrote: »
    My friend is actually doing actuarial studies(or whatever the course name is) in UCD and she did german,economics,accounting and physics so you have a lot in common.You're still in 3rd year so I would probs recommend economics which I did, its a nice course. We were finished by xmas 6th year and this was with a lot of frees(one a week for prob 5 months of each school year) from our teacher so if you have no such problem then you could be finish by october/november.There is also a lot of choice in the LC re. exam questions.

Economics isn't on offer in my school. Just Business or Accounting. Wud never having done it, make my life difficult if I go with Actuarial, do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Economics isn't on offer in my school. Just Business or Accounting.

If you think it wouldn't have a negative impact on your school subjects, you could always do Economics outside of school. It is a popular extra subject as the course is shorter than other subjects.

Tbh no it wouldn't hold you back. Economics is one of those subjects they start from scratch + also it is easy enough to get your head around. No one is my econ class in secondary found it hard apart from those who switched in March of 5th year.They were only allowed to switch in because it was such an "easy" course for lack of a better word.
    The only thing that would hold you back in that course would be find maths difficult

Almost time to pick subjects now. Been told that Applied Maths is like an extra subject so I can pick another. Was thinking Chemistry. This would mean 8 subjects. Worried it's all going to be too much. Any thoughts?

Advertisement