Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor TV

Options
  • 25-11-2016 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to purchase a TV that can also be used as a monitor.

Do these still come with a PC VGA socket or has it all gone HDMI?

What do I need to look for so as it can be used for both?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm looking to purchase a TV that can also be used as a monitor.

Do these still come with a PC VGA socket or has it all gone HDMI?

What do I need to look for so as it can be used for both?

What does your laptop output through? If it has HDMI you're sorted really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It for my sons desktop and I'm not sure what connections that has. It's in a small bedroom where space is at a premium and that's why I want to combine the two.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I presume the current monitor is VGA? Just have a look round the back of the desktop to check the connections.

mordeith wrote: »
    I presume the current monitor is VGA? Just have a look round the back of the desktop to check the connections.

OK, just looked now and his desktop card has one VGA and one DVI connector (Currently connected via VGA).

The card is a AMD Radeon HD 6450

He doesn't use it for any gaming and up to now was using a Samsung 22" TV come Monitor but that has died in the last couple of days so he needs to replace it.

Hoping to get something a little bigger this time but not too big that would double as both TV and monitor.

Right well since you have no HDMI you would need to feed the audio to the television separately or else use the current speakers for the PC (you would have to keep plugging them in from one to the other though). You can buy DVI to HDMI adapters cheaply enough and DVI would support higher resolutions than VGA

• Advertisement

Right well since you have no HDMI you would need to feed the audio to the television separately or else use the current speakers for the PC (you would have to keep plugging them in from one to the other though). You can buy DVI to HDMI adapters cheaply enough and DVI would support higher resolutions than VGA

What connector would the TV need to have for it to be suitable for his setup?

What connector would the TV need to have for it to be suitable for his setup?

Either VGA or HDMI (as long as you get the DVI adapter). How is the TV going to hooked up?

Either VGA or HDMI (as long as you get the DVI adapter). How is the TV going to hooked up?

Via a Virgin\UPC slim box (not Horizon).

So if I get this cable for his existing 6450 graphics card any of the new TV's with HDMI will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, should work.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, should work.

As above but remember it doesn't carry sound

As above but remember it doesn't carry sound

He has a 2.1 sound system he uses at the moment with a 3.5 jack, so I assume he is switching that between PC and TV as he is so it will remain the same I guess?

He has a 2.1 sound system he uses at the moment with a 3.5 jack, so I assume he is switching that between PC and TV as he is so it will remain the same I guess?

Yeah. You could always get a stereo splitter to save plugging in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most hd tvs have a vga in interface ,
    a tv will have a limited range of resolutions it will display ,
    See the manusl tv pv input resolutions ,settings .
    EG 1920x 1080, 1024x768 , set the refresh rate on the pc to 60mhz.
    Otherwise theres a risk of damaging the tv.http://quehow.com/how-to-change-monitor-refresh-rate-in-windows-10/4531.html
    My old hdtv 1080p tv had only 3 settings in pc vga mode in which it would output a good picture ,
    without any distortion .

riclad wrote: »
    Most hd tvs have a vga in interface

A lot of the older ones did but I can't see any online that have them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32D1533-32-Inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00T82QNHK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480152090&sr=1-4&keywords=tv+hd+lcd
    it took me 20 seconds to find this ,
    tv with VGA .Amazon uk, you are looking for a hd tv 1080p.
    ignore 4k tvs .
    Most pc games run best at 1080p or less resolution.
    look on back of tv for this vga port.
    http://sewelldirect.com/images/connectors/photos/VGA.jpg
    you,ll need a vga male to male cable cost 8-10 euro.
    Most online tv ,streaming video,netflix etc is 720p or 1080p .

You'd be better off with the DVI cable

You'd be better off with the DVI cable

Understood, thanks :)

Should work ok. You're stuck with VGA so the image may not be brilliant (not saying that it would be terrible either).

• Advertisement

Should work ok. You're stuck with VGA so the image may not be brilliant (not saying that it would be terrible either).

So, if the TV has the PC option built in, are you saying the DVI to HDMI lead discussed earlier will not work? but it will work on a TV that has no dedicated PC connector?

So, if the TV has the PC option built in, are you saying the DVI to HDMI lead discussed earlier will not work? but it will work on a TV that has no dedicated PC connector?

The TV would need each individual connection. TV linked has VGA and Hdmi. Your PC has VGA and DVI so a simple VGA lead will work. Probably one already in use on the pc.

Edit: Just re reading my own post. The DVI to HDMI lead will work as previously discussed.

So that set would be ok and I could ignore the VGA port on TV and run with a DVI to HDMI for better quality picture but will still need separate audio?

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, there is also an audio in port for the PC so you can connect the PC audio to the TV with a standard headphone jack cable and have sound and video through the TV.

On this point. If the OP uses the DVI to HDMI cable will the TV accept the audio in from the PC or will it expect audio to be carried through the HDMI?

Not a major deal anyway as the OP has a separate speaker setup for the PC anyway but just curious.

I'm just after reading reviews on that particular TV and they say it can't run the Netflix or YouTube Apps. Not a deal breaker but a bit of a bummer all the same.

So does his standalone 2.1 speakers with 3.5 jack just go to the TV's headphone jack so?

So does his standalone 2.1 speakers with 3.5 jack just go to the TV's headphone jack so?

Yeah

The TV has a split screen feature too, it allows you to have half screen for PC and half for TV. Will this only work if the VGA port is used I wonder, or does it matter?

The TV has a split screen feature too, it allows you to have half screen for PC and half for TV. Will this only work if the VGA port is used I wonder, or does it matter?

If you mean Picture in Picture I'm pretty sure you can select any other video source so it wouldn't matter which connector you were using for the PC

• Advertisement

I bought the TV I mentioned in an earlier post and it has one change to the original model posted. They (Samsung) seem to have brought out a second version (Upgrade) of the same model and the newer one has an extra USB port replacing the VGA D-Sub connector.

Not an issue as I didn't intend to use the VGA anyway.

On closer inspection of my sons AMD Radeon HD 6450 It does in fact have a HDMI port along with the DVI and VGA connectors.

6668d6d995.JPG

I have a DVI to HDMI cable which will do but won't carry sound.

My last question is, if I were to connect the card to the TV via a HDMI cable which carries both audio and video, where does the HDMI cable pull the sound from the PC? Remember, he uses a 2.1 separate set of speakers and I assume he'll want to continue using them, would he be as well to stick with the original idea and run with the DVI to HDMI cable?

Advertisement