Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhaust Corrosion

• 25-11-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

A few days ago I noticed the sound of my Bandit being a bit different...so I went home and discovered this lovely sight...

k1aAjrc.jpg

Bike isnt that old, 2006, the rest of the exhaust looks in good shape, its just at this join bit under the pegs. Its pretty corroded going the whole way around to the back.
    What could of caused this, salt on the roads?? I dont clean the bike that much, maybe twice a year.
    Also, is this tough to fix? Hopefully not a new exhaust needed :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you could get a new big welded on no big deal if it's just those holes you want to fix but if the whole pipe is bad then just get something from a breakers yard. probably 30-50 euro fix

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SUZUKI-GSF-600-BANDIT-S-GN77B-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-59-/391621413245?hash=item5b2e74897d:g:ERcAAOSwXeJYJE5l would that do you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

paulieeye wrote: »
    sound of my Bandit being a bit different...

What could of caused this, salt on the roads?? I dont clean the bike that much, maybe twice a year.
    Also, is this tough to fix? Hopefully not a new exhaust needed :(
    Bet it sounded like a tractor!

It's not the salt, it's you not cleaning it, I'm the same. I just had to get my headers welded for the time being, but I'll need to get stainless steel ones fitted down the line. Delkevic seem to be good for brand new pipes.

I got it cleaned by motorbikevaleting.ie (that's what they're called, but I don't think they have an actual website, they're on facebook though!) with ACF treatment, so shiney now, and the ACF prevents further corrosion, but I have to clean it more frequently now (just give it a hose down once every month or two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Black Friday and Cyber Monday....................good excuse for a new exhaust system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I dont clean the bike that much, maybe twice a year.(

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Twice a year!.. [whether it needs it or not]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Exhausts rust from the inside out. For every litre of petrol that you use, (maybe 10 miles) there is about a litre of water in the volume of air that enters the engine in that time. That water has to go somewhere. If you don't heat the exhaust up fully, short trips for example, it will condense on the inside of the exhaust, and rust it out.

My father has a 17 year old petrol car, which has 300k miles and the original exhaust. That's because the car is used almost always on motorway journeys of at least an hour at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep exhaust rot is not due to cleaning or lack of.

Mak I thought you'd be taking the opportunity to stick the boot in on the poor quality of materials in the Bandits :)

No excuse for any bike built in the last twenty years or so not to have a full stainless steel system as standard, mild steel (however shiny and chromed it looks on the outside) is just cack.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

so as a follow up on this...

mechanic cut out the rusted bit and welded it back together. sounds perfect now. cost me 90 bob. had a look around city spares but nothing suitable there.

As was mentioned here, this was not to do with cleaning or maintenance and is hard to avoid. Rots from the inside out, seems a bit shiity for a 2006 bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

so as a follow up on this...

mechanic cut out the rusted bit and welded it back together. sounds perfect now. cost me 90 bob. had a look around city spares but nothing suitable there.

As was mentioned here, this was not to do with cleaning or maintenance and is hard to avoid. Rots from the inside out, seems a bit shiity for a 2006 bike

mmmm..............bet yer chain gatheres the leaves up too.....:pac:

Advertisement