Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MHS Going Global sold.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've just read in the independent that going Global was sold for €10 - €12 million and is the most expensive horse ever sold. To my surprise later in the article it said the horse is a gelding .Can someone please explain How can a gelding be worth so much money considering it cannot breed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've just read in the independent that going Global was sold for €10 - €12 million and is the most expensive horse ever sold. To my surprise later in the article it said the horse is a gelding .Can someone please explain How can a gelding be worth so much money considering it cannot breed?

Cloning possibly? He was most likely bought off his own talent though. He's ten so he has a few more years left of jumping. Although, 12 million does seem like more money than sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Chicken feed to Athina with her $1 billion plus fortune.

She wants a ready made horse to compete at the very top level AND most importantly it has to be rideable by someone of her ability - arent too many of those on the market.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Chicken feed to Athina with her $1 billion plus fortune.

She wants a ready made horse to compete at the very top level AND most importantly it has to be rideable by someone of her ability - arent too many of those on the market.

Basically, she wants to cheat a bit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

No cheating when you enter the arena at that level. Best of luck to her. But I'd say the horse won't be fulfilling his potential with her.

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote:
    No cheating when you enter the arena at that level. Best of luck to her. But I'd say the horse won't be fulfilling his potential with her.

It is when most other riders at that level produce their own horses. It's just a fast shot to the top which she was just short off with her own horses.
    I hope she does do well with him, it would be a waste of a horse otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

sup_dude wrote: »
    It is when most other riders at that level produce their own horses. It's just a fast shot to the top which she was just short off with her own horses.
    I hope she does do well with him, it would be a waste of a horse otherwise.

It's all relative. I'd like to be competitive at 1.10m - I have no ambitions beyond that height. however my budget doesn't allow me to afford a horse that is competitive at that level, so I've bought one competitive at a lower level and will 'produce' (I use that term lightly as I'm not amazing but have great help) him to that level myself. If I had the money I'd buy a horse with a good record at 1.10 or 1.20 and I'd know I'd be competitive!

Horses don't have ambitions - if he is well taken care of, she is a kind rider, and he is not put under undue pressure, then he is not 'wasted'. He may even have an easier life than he did with Greg. Sure, they spent a lot of money on the horse - seems insane to me, but that's their prerogative.

It seems to be lost in translation (alas, the joys of written communication) but the cheat comment was tongue in cheek. Kinda like if you take the stairs, only to notice your friend has found the elevator, you'd call them a cheat.
    Ah_Yeah wrote:
    Horses don't have ambitions - if he is well taken care of, she is a kind rider, and he is not put under undue pressure, then he is not 'wasted'. He may even have an easier life than he did with Greg. Sure, they spent a lot of money on the horse - seems insane to me, but that's their prerogative.

What I meant by wasted is that this has put the spotlight on Ireland as a country to buy (more so than before due to media coverage). If the girl does well with Going Global, it will reflect well on Irish bred and/or produced horses, potentially upping the market and making them more valuable internationally. If one person spent millions on an Irish horse and it moved her up the rankings, it would look favorably on others looking to do the same.
    Okay, the horse was probably way over priced, she just had the money to spend and that's something some people are just going to see. However, having something that Irish be worth that much (going on the sole philosophy that something is worth what someone else is willing to buy it for), it's gonna reflect well in general. But if she puts him to good use and does well, it's going to have far reaching impacts on Irish horses; their worth and demand.

Advertisement