Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-tiling bathroom floor

Options
  • 25-11-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

So I'm thinking of re-tiling my bathroom floor and wondering what it might cost and the best way to do it. The reason I want to do it is that it's a "wet" bathroom with the water from the shower falling directly from the floor. The tiles should be sloped towards the drain but they weren't laid correctly and there isn't enough of a slope, so the water doesn't drain fully.

I sent a pic to a tiler and he said he would tile over the existing tiles - is this a good idea? Does anyone know roughly what it might cost to re-tile? I don't have exact measurements but hopefully the attached pic should give a good idea.. it's probably about 5 ft by 5 ft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublin City Handyman

It doesn't look like a big area to tile, I'd say you would get enough of a fall just useing Adhesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

honestly its way to small of a area for a wet room .As soon as the water hits your shoulders its all over the toilet and never gets back to the drain .
    As neat as it looks it just wont work unless the whole floor has a fall of 25mm for every 1200mm towards a full lenght wall drain .
    idealy a wet room should have a shower area of at least 900mm x1600mm with cover on 3 and a half sides

just talking from experience where ive had to retro fit a shower tray and door over a good few of these " looks nice but not worth a fiddlers" wet rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks, ya I see what you mean alright. It was a good idea at the time but not so good in practice. Having said that the water doesn't usually get as far as the toilet, only to the tiles between the toilet and shower where it stays without draining away.

I'd rather not have to go to the expense of fitting a shower tray and cubicle though so I'm hoping a re-tile will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Thanks, ya I see what you mean alright. It was a good idea at the time but not so good in practice. Having said that the water doesn't usually get as far as the toilet, only to the tiles between the toilet and shower where it stays without draining away.

I'd rather not have to go to the expense of fitting a shower tray and cubicle though so I'm hoping a re-tile will do the trick.

would someting as simple as a shower curtain work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

would someting as simple as a shower curtain work ?

I suppose if it was full length it could.. it might spoil the look that I strived so hard for though :p

If I got a couple of ball-park prices and also an idea if tiling over is a good approach then I'd be able to make a decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement