Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I find a pint of Murphy's in Dublin city?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

the bank cost us €21.50 for 4 pints of O'Hara's today,
    ....But I feel if we start talking about beer prices in dublin then I am pretty sure we are opening up a a whole other tin of worms haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BeerNut wrote: »
    2016. 3rd June, according to the datestamp on my phone.

It's the big 2015 in the picture I was working off...

However over 5 quid for a stout is cheeky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fox Hound wrote: »
    ....But I feel if we start talking about beer prices in dublin then I am pretty sure we are opening up a a whole other tin of worms haha

You're out an about nice and early!? Take it none of you are nine to five'rs?

lawred2 wrote: »

Sneaky Lunch drinks:getlost:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

On Suffolk Street? How much would you pay around there normally? I'd have thought a fiver and more is normal for D2's main streets.

I agree anthing over €5 for a pint of stout is pretty disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I have a list of pubs that sell Murphys in Dublin that a Murphys rep sent me via email about 2 years ago.

I'll try fish it out for you.

Rookie mistake getting OHaras over Guinness BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have a group of friends who normally go for Beamish, Murphy's and Guinness (the unholy trinity they call it) and I believe they found a Dublin pub that serves all three. I'll ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We all ended up getting O'Hara's Stout, which I must say doesn't come close to Guinness in my opinion as I felt it to be very strong and  bit bitter.
    Thats why I would prefer o haras!, guinness is very weak tasting and not bitter enough. I don't find too much difference though.

I am convinced guinness has changed quite a bit over the years. In other threads people seemingly in the know said it did change to be more acceptable.

~25 years ago I always heard about guinness being "an acquired taste", and remember some lads and nearly all girls I knew wincing at the taste of it. It then really struck home when "arthurs day" came about and saw all these young wans lashing down pints of the stuff -some sponsored bars have very little selection on the day. Not many grimacing drinkers about.

I can easily lash down the last of a guinness in a pub if the lads I am with are moving on, I remember being in the porter house and being told to hurry up and saying "its not guinness!" probably their 4x stout and being unable to just lash it down like water, or any old mainstream lager.
    what caught my eye is fosters is €1 less than beamish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

To quote a Diageo brewer, "we brew beer that you can drink 7 or 8 of in one sitting".

rubadub wrote: »
    There are a few examples there of there being more tap lines than buttons on the till, so stuff just gets lumped together, pricewise. I reckon that's why the four main stouts are €5.10 each: they're all on the "Stout" button. Likewise, €6.05 is way above what most places would charge for White Gypsy Blond, but it goes on the same weissbier button as overpriced Erdinger and Paulaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I agree anthing over €5 for a pint of stout is pretty disgraceful

I wouldn't go back to any dublin pub that charged over a fiver for a pint of Stout,
    T'would clearly be a hipsters pub. No thanks

rubadub wrote: »
    We all ended up getting O'Hara's Stout, which I must say doesn't come close to Guinness in my opinion as I felt it to be very strong and  bit bitter.
    Thats why I would prefer o haras!, guinness is very weak tasting and not bitter enough. I don't find too much difference though.

I am convinced guinness has changed quite a bit over the years. In other threads people seemingly in the know said it did change to be more acceptable.

~25 years ago I always heard about guinness being "an acquired taste", and remember some lads and nearly all girls I knew wincing at the taste of it. It then really struck home when "arthurs day" came about and saw all these young wans lashing down pints of the stuff -some sponsored bars have very little selection on the day. Not many grimacing drinkers about.

I can easily lash down the last of a guinness in a pub if the lads I am with are moving on, I remember being in the porter house and being told to hurry up and saying "its not guinness!" probably their 4x stout and being unable to just lash it down like water, or any old mainstream lager.
    to be honest with you, I found myself the same with O'Hara's, I can swallow off a Guinness no problem, but really struggled to finish the end of an O'Hara's, I think you Might be on to something with Guinness changing there formula to cater for everyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I wouldn't go back to any dublin pub that charged over a fiver for a pint of Stout,
    T'would clearly be a hipsters pub. No thanks

This one is a tourist pub, mostly. Not hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Murphy's was on in the Academy last night, another music/nightclub venue though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You didn't hear it from me but The Ivy on Parliament St. does Murphy. It doesn't travel well though.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You didn't hear it from me but The Ivy on Parliament St. does Murphy. It doesn't travel well though.
    Good to Know,
    This Thursday we are heading to O'Niells, Pretty sure its there, So Once we have it, I'm Pretty sure this will be the end of this Thread :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Good to Know,
    This Thursday we are heading to O'Niells, Pretty sure its there, So Once we have it, I'm Pretty sure this will be the end of this Thread :-)

No
    You need to have a pint of it in every pub that has it....

Good to Know,

No
    You need to have a pint of it in every pub that has it....
    Hahaha we can't find One Pub that has it yet LOL

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

I had my First pint of Murphy's today In Oscars Bar in Smithfield, It was absolutely amazing, Taste was 100% better than Guinness and the after taste was very Chocolatey.....I had two Pints and would have easily had more....I would Highly recommend it and I need to taste Beamish now :-) .....

I REPEAT Murphy's can be bought in Oscars Bar in Smithfield if anybody is looking!!...the pub is also great and you could easily stay there for the night!! Next Pub I will try Is O'Niells,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Murphys is grand....
    You should get a few bottles of Black's World's End stout if you like the chocolate flavours

Murphys is grand....
    You should get a few bottles of Black's World's End stout if you like the chocolate flavours
    Migght grab some this weekend, Cheers

BeerNut wrote: »
    O'Neills will be next week :-) if you are that certain it is there lol
    This was taken last June, but I doubt any of the big names have changed.

oneillsblackboard_zpshs03zs8r.jpg
    MURPHY'S UPDATE!!!!
    big Thanks to BeerNut, you where spot on and Murphy's is on Tap in O'Niells, We all went today and Had four lovely Pints...Not only that but the selection of beers and stouts they have is amazing, The serve 26 different types of beer, ale and stout all on tap...we all decided today that this place will be our local for Friday Lunch Beer:-)...They also serve Beamish which I am yet to try, so A pint of that next Friday and I can make my Judgement on all 3 of the legendary Stout!!
    Thanks again for all your help with this search and hopefully we can start sampling the rest of the 26 beers, ales and stout on Tap and give an update on all:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Hope you don't mind me asking, where do you work that allows lunch time pints?

And where do I sign up?!! :)

Glad you found it.
    we all decided today that this place will be our local for Friday Lunch Beer:-)
    Do us a favour and post a fresh picture of the blackboard when you're back next :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hope you don't mind me asking, where do you work that allows lunch time pints?

And where do I sign up?!! :)

https://www.oireachtas.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, Excuse the pedantry but stout is beer, as is ale, as is lager.

It's all beer!
    Even barley wine is beer!

Update*

I was in Mary's just off Grafton  street last friday, and they also sell a lovely Pint of Murphy's, the bar man also told me that since they got Murphy's on Tape it has been very popular, 

Its only been available for the last two months and the pub have made a bet with Heineken (the owner of Murphy's) that they will sell more pints of Murphy's than any other pub in Dublin.....I believe this will become My regular haunt for a nice pint in the city :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Update*

I was in Mary's just off Grafton  street last friday, and they also sell a lovely Pint of Murphy's, the bar man also told me that since they got Murphy's on Tape it has been very popular, 

Its only been available for the last two months and the pub have made a bet with Heineken (the owner of Murphy's) that they will sell more pints of Murphy's than any other pub in Dublin.....I believe this will become My regular haunt for a nice pint in the city :-)

Great pub, pity about the bar staff. Horrible lads with a horrible attitude.

Been there twice, no more than 3/4 pints and their attitude was rotten. Told them the 2nd time - was it worth if for the look on their faces. Hopefully they bucked up.

And the Guinness wasnt great either :cool:

I had the total opposite experience, The young guy behind the bar was a really nice guy, And I chatted with him for ages,
    I didn't have any problems at all. can you give examples of what was said to you or what you experienced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

can you give examples of what was said to you or what you experienced?

Lets not please

Advertisement