Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Travellers protest over housing of Syrian refugees''

Options
  • 25-11-2016 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

On reading the report on national media, I noticed comments had been disabled. Maybe we can have an adult discussion on it here.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/29015-travellers-protest-over-housing-of-syrian-refugees

First off I think it is great that what would be seen as a more marginalized part of our community, have taken up their right to protest and argue their point. I don't agree with it but good on them for having their say in a democratic way.

In saying that I feel that the stand off out side the house while people were trying to move in was wrong and I feel sorry for the family trying to move in. I feel bad that this will be one of their first impressions of Castlebar.

I would wonder if there is a back story as to why this particular house has been vacant for so long. We do have a housing waiting list, right? From a social integration point of view, I would hope that it is not an area full of the same ethnic back ground of people.

I'm my opinion some of the designs of for example: halting sites and traveller accommodation is almost fort or fortress like at their entrances, these high walled cul-de-sac's enhance divide.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Agree on this folks "Maybe we can have an adult discussion on it here."

Please keep it that way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

On this though, which I find ironic is that relations of their are driving around in 161 vans and campers.

They should not have blocked them moving in, I find that shocking. If it was the other way around Pavi Point would have the media haunted.

These lads while I have seen their site and its awful, still have a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

People who get housing subsidised by the tax payer protesting because someone else is also getting it! How noble of them. As Dr. Smith would say "Oh, the pain....the pain"

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think the problem for me is not the protest, but the manner of it. If you're unhappy that someone is getting a house that you think someone else is entitled to (and, let's face it, the concept of "entitlement" is a whole nother question), I can see that you'd want to protest. The problem arises when the target of the protest isn't the system that made the decision, but the people who benefited from it.

It's not a Syrian refugee family's fault that the council made the decision to give them a house. They shouldn't have been targeted by a protest. The protest outside Aras an Chontae is a more appropriate avenue.

On the substantive issue of who should get a house, I have a problem with the sentiment expressed: "The council should look after their own Irish before they take other people in and look after them." Sorry, but when someone gets refugee status, they're no less entitled to the care and protection of the state than an Irish citizen is. To say otherwise is to abandon our legal and moral commitment to the asylum process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

yop wrote: »
    On this though, which I find ironic is that relations of their are driving around in 161 vans and campers.

I don't think relation have a whole lot to do with it, but i'm not well up on their community values. I see rich family's all the time leaving the others to fend for them selves when they are doing well. One's own needs can be all consuming.
    yop wrote: »
    They should not have blocked them moving in, I find that shocking. If it was the other way around Pavi Point would have the media haunted

I totally agree with you. I too would love to hear from Pavi point on this to, like for them to be seen as an objective and fair organisation they really should be making a statement on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The reason the house wasn't given to the traveller family is apparently the quota for traveller family in the estate had been reached. That's a good idea I think as if the house all the travellers in one estate your creating a ghetto which doesn't help inclusion of travellers.

Travellers shouldn't be dictating to the council which house they think they are entitled too.

Advertisement