Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haye vs Bellew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

For Haye to carry on after that injury was extraordinary. If he was in Germany to get that checked out because he had an issue, he should have pulled out. I can't believe he carried on and people question his heart! Don't know what they are talking about.

Idiotic I'd call it. He still was well beaten.

I wouldn't say that ... Tyson Fury has been on the blower anyway..

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury

Christ. Fury showing his class

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

snowflaker wrote: »
    For Haye to carry on after that injury was extraordinary. If he was in Germany to get that checked out because he had an issue, he should have pulled out. I can't believe he carried on and people question his heart! Don't know what they are talking about.

Idiotic I'd call it. He still was well beaten.
    Sacrificing his health for a few million quid by the sounds of it. He should be well beaten after that injury.

Sacrificing his health for a few million quid by the sounds of it. He should be well beaten after that injury.

What did he achieve by continuing??? He got his purse regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

What did he achieve by continuing???

Respect.

From boxing people!!

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Haye's timing and speed have understandably deteriorated but Bellew deserves credit in making him miss.

Not much credit. Give me Lomachenko any day

megadodge wrote: »
    Respect.

From boxing people!!

Not this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Got to respect the warrior element to it though, even if it is daft.

Got to respect the warrior element to it though, even if it is daft.

I don't respect idiocy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Not much credit. Give me Lomachenko any day

Oh yeah because Loma f*cking chenko is a relevant comparison to 15/16 stone 6 footers....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Another farce of a fight courtesy of eddie hearn.

Burial. wrote: »
    Oh yeah because Loma f*cking chenko is a relevant comparison to 15/16 stone 6 footers....

I don't really like heavyweight boxing nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I don't really like heavyweight boxing nowadays

Because you don't watch it.

Go onto youtube and watch Dominic Breazeale v Izu Ugonoh. It only happened last weekend. Tell me how awful boxing is after you watch that.

megadodge wrote: »
    Because you don't watch it.

Go onto youtube and watch Dominic Breazeale v Izu Ugonoh. It only happened last weekend. Tell me how awful boxing is after you watch that.

I'll look it up. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

What did he achieve by continuing??? He got his purse regardless

Can you imagine if he had quit. This is the David Haye who pulled out of the Fury fight because of a toe, and has been somewhat unfairly given the reputation as being "conveniently injured" when it suits him. There was no way he was gonna compound things by pulling out of this fight with an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Johner wrote: »
    Haye did show great heart but he came in to end that fight early, I think Bellew would have would anyway, Haye's stamina was gone and was fighting on instinct, still doesn't show Bellew in a great light that he couldn't finish it earlier but I doubt he really gives a ****. Weird interview after though from Haye, fair play for not making excuses but no mention at all of the injury?

Given his previous antics in citing an injury as to why he lost, he couldn't be seen to mention the injury in the post fight interview.

I have to give credit to Bellew,even though Haye's speed and reflexes are not what they once were, Bellew slipped a lot of shots, and withstood some heavy shots when he was tagged. If there is to be a rematch, Haye should come in lighter. I still think Bellew will be soundly beaten by Usyk at Crusierweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What do you all make on the corner throwing the towel in? Right time to throw it in or was he right to throw it in at all?

The knock down wasn't all that conclusive and I still thought that Haye will always be in with a shout with that power.

He couldnt throw a punch though,believe it or not you need your legs to throw a puch,try and throw a punch standing on one leg it just cant be done

What do you all make on the corner throwing the towel in? Right time to throw it in or was he right to throw it in at all?

The knock down wasn't all that conclusive and I still thought that Haye will always be in with a shout with that power.

I thought the result was a TKO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

You reckon he was injured before the fight. What's this Germany story that Bellew was talking about?

Not sure about that, I was confused as well. I saw interviews from ifl on Thursday, when there was the rumour that Haye was pulling out because of injured shoulder. Johnny Nelson reckoned that Haye had made up the rumour himself so as to play mind games. Bellew seemed to indicate there was some sort of foreknowledge, without me fully understanding what he was on about.

It's a shame, cos it was shaping up for a good enough contest.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/boxing/39170236‬

Haye to undergo Achilles surgery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You reckon he was injured before the fight. What's this Germany story that Bellew was talking about?

It got out that Haye had been to see a surgeon in Germany, with rumours suggesting it was about an achilles injury. Bellew brought it up at the press conference. Haye denied there was any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He was throwing right before the knock out, was just missing badly as has his legs couldn't give him to required leverage. I still thought that even when he was on the ropes, he was still potentially dangerous.

I thought his best chance was to stay on the ropes tbh,do a bit of rope a dope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Hayes come out and missed with everything for the first 4 rounds then the leg incident what do you think of Shane mcgugians cornering skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

jimbev wrote: »
    Hayes come out and missed with everything for the first 4 rounds then the leg incident what do you think of Shane mcgugians cornering skills

He missed everything for the first 2 rounds because he was trying to take his head clean off . He listened to his corner then and utilised his jab which he followed up with a few power punches .

By the time the Achilles popped I thought Haye was in complete control . Tony was very cagey at that point .

Maybe Shane could of thrown the towel in earlier but going 6 rounds or so on one leg has helped Hayes rep after the toe fiasco in Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why did the interviewer not ask or mention about Haye wobbling around the ring like a new born giraffe? Everyone else seemed to twig that Haye was injured from rd 5 onwards...

Bellew was in survival mode up until the injury occurred.

AJ, you can relax even more now. Haye would have next to no chance against you.

walshb wrote: »
    Why did the interviewer not ask or mention about Haye wobbling around the ring like a new born giraffe? Everyone else seemed to twig that Haye was injured from rd 5 onwards...

I have no idea it was the question everyone wanted to be asked . In in a strange way Haye comes out of this better than Bellew .

I mean he was fighting a man who couldn't walk or throw a punch or even keep his balance and couldn't get him out of there .

And then his trainer and Hearn celebrate like its the end of Rocky 4 . Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have no idea it was the question everyone wanted to be asked . In in a strange way Haye comes out of this better than Bellew .

I mean he was fighting a man who couldn't walk or throw a punch or even keep his balance and couldn't get him out of there .

It had to be the most obvious question to ask. What went wrong, David? You were moving around like someone carrying an injury from rds 5 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

One word: hype

It had to be the most obvious question to ask. What went wrong, David? You were moving around like someone carrying an injury from rds 5 onwards.

It was the elephant in the room . It's as if everyone may have known about this injury going into the fight . It would explain him coming out like a lunatic in round 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Because Sky are helping promote both fighters. They dont ask the questions that hurt their cash cows.

They didnt want to help damage his rep like the toe incident did

Advertisement