Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Another vote for boil first. I normally do mine on Christmas Eve (it always seems to taste better having been left overnight!) Stick it in the pot with a generous sprinkle of cloves/some bay leaves/peppercorns/star anise/clove or two of garlic, halved onion and chunked up carrot - happy days. If you're boiling veg the day, hang on to that stock!

Glaze wise I've done a few varieties over the year, and favourites from memory were a ginger glaze pinched from Nigella Lawson and a whiskey marmalade glaze I kinda threw together. The key for me is always lots of mustard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I boil mine the day before then leave it sitting in cider or coke over night. Glaze it in the morning and the hop it in the oven. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If finishing off a ham in the oven, how does the timing work out?

Usually I boil, and follow the instructions per weight on the packet, but how does baking afterwards affect the timing, and how do you avoid it drying out in the oen?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If finishing off a ham in the oven, how does the timing work out?

Usually I boil, and follow the instructions per weight on the packet, but how does baking afterwards affect the timing, and how do you avoid it drying out in the oen?

:confused:

15 minutes at a very high temperature to caramelise the coating. It shouldn't affect the cooking of the meat at all. Make sure you put some tin foil under the ham so the charred coating doesn't stick to your roasting tin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bake my ham, but it only works well with a whole ham. Smaller pieces don't tend to be successful. My ham usually takes around five and a half hours covered with foil, and then another 20 minutes with the rind off and the glaze on. I cook it on Christmas eve, and we have it for breakfast on Christmas morning, cold, with fried eggs and toast. Nothing tastes as good to me as that Christmas ham :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My glaze is always honey, brown sugar and studded with cloves. It's yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Jayop wrote: »
    I boil mine the day before then leave it sitting in cider or coke over night. Glaze it in the morning and the hop it in the oven. Yummy.

This would be fantastic. Could you not leave it in the glaze over night??? Why do you go cider or coke??? Do you leave it in the fridge over night???

I'm planning (note-planning) on just using foul trays to cook/bake as much as possible so I can just throw it all away after... unless someone has had bad experiences with this??

Hoping my only washing will be crockery, pots and glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

trixychic wrote: »
    I'm planning (note-planning) on just using foul trays to cook/bake as much as possible so I can just throw it all away after... unless someone has had bad experiences with this??

Hoping my only washing will be crockery, pots and glasses.

have a flat tray ready to sit the foil ones on especially for roasties and turkey/ham/joints of meat, those foil trays cant support the weight in them on their own. Baking sheets will do just make sure they're not too slidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This would be fantastic. Could you not leave it in the glaze over night??? Why do you go cider or coke??? Do you leave it in the fridge over night???

Coke essentially is a caramel Glaze and cider gives it a cidery flavor so I'll choose one or the other. I usually just leave it in the saucepan I boiled it in on the hob over night.

You could Glaze it but I use one of those as a kind of pre glaze. It's something we tried and all liked here but I'm no great cook so maybe others will not like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Bread sauce: how can something that sounds so bland be so delicious?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I use a foil tray for the turkey & it stays in that until it is all gone. It means I can scrunch up the tray around the carcass so it'll fit in the fridge.

On the subject of stuffing - I go for a bread-based one with caramelised onions & plenty of seasoning, parsley, thyme, sage, lemon juice & zest, & a couple of bay leaves (not to be eaten).

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Cooking for approx 18 for Christmas. I haven't finalised my menu yet but it's bring narrowed from this list

Starters

Smoked salmon mousse or poached pear and walnut salad
    Melon Or Soup for the kids
    Mains
    Turkey, ham and spiced beef
    served with
    Mash,garlic cream potatoes roast potatoes
    Carrots,cauliflower Brussels and mange tout.
    Sage and onion bread stuffing
    Potato stuffing and sausage stuffing.

Deserts

Christmas pudding,
    lemon posset,
    Bailey's cheesecake
    Chocolate biscuit cake.

Ham is always cooked in cider the day before and glazed when the turkey is resting.
    Roasties cooked in goose fat but rolled in semolina after par boiling.

Veg are prepped night before and deserts made in advance too.
    Turkey is stuffed with potato stuffing up its bum and sausage rammed down its neck. Covered with streaky bacon wrapped in foil

Love Christmas and love cooking so win win.
    If it all goes belly up I've loads of alcohol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

3 types of spud, 3 types of stuffing and 4 veg!!!
    That's some undertaking.

pwurple wrote: »
    3 types of spud, 3 types of stuffing and 4 veg!!!
    That's some undertaking.

Timing is the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

now online wrote: »

Roasties cooked in goose fat but rolled in semolina after par boiling.

Interesting! Talk to me :cool: light coating?

I've recently perfected my best biscuit recipe ever using semolina so I have a bag and was wondering what else I could use it for!

Malari wrote: »

I've recently perfected my best biscuit recipe ever using semolina so I have a bag and was wondering what else I could use it for!

Totally amazing, I think it came from Nigella but can't swear because I'm doing them like that so long!

Par boil allow to cool enough to handle and roll in the semolina. Goose fat and oven has to be roasting. It leaves a crunchy coating on the outside and soft as butter inside. Totally yum!

Totally amazing, I think it came from Nigella but can't swear because I'm doing them like that so long!

Par boil allow to cool enough to handle and roll in the semolina. Goose fat and oven has to be roasting. It leaves a crunchy coating on the outside and soft as butter inside. Totally yum!

I always par-boil and use goose or duck fat, but I'll be trying semolina this weekend! Thanks for the tip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I'm hugely interested in your best biscuit recipe!
    Are you open to sharing?

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Are you open to sharing?

500 g Cadbury chocolate
    I/2 block stork marg
    Tin condensed milk
    Packet Rich tea biscuits

Melt marg, condensed milk and 300g chocolate in saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and break in biscuits. When all biscuits are coated in chocolate, pour into lined cake tin. Melt the remainder 200g chocolate in a bowl over boiling water and smooth over top of cake. Refrigerate to set. Enjoy ðŸ«ðŸ«

Totally lush, very rich I find galaxy chocolate to be the nicest! The 200g is often on offer in Dunnes. My kids love making this and they'll probably do it for Christmas!

• Advertisement

Opps now I see you weren't asking me but thru you go anyway!

500 g Cadbury chocolate
    I/2 block stork marg
    Tin condensed milk
    Packet Rich tea biscuits

Melt marg, condensed milk and 300g chocolate in saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and break in biscuits. When all biscuits are coated in chocolate, pour into lined cake tin. Melt the remainder 200g chocolate in a bowl over boiling water and smooth over top of cake. Refrigerate to set. Enjoy ðŸ«ðŸ«

Totally lush, very rich I find galaxy chocolate to be the nicest! The 200g is often on offer in Dunnes. My kids love making this and they'll probably do it for Christmas!

Where does the semolina come in?
    Edit: Oops sorry we're confusing each other!!

Malari do you have your recipe to share, the one with semolina?

Are you open to sharing?
    Opps now I see you weren't asking me but thru you go anyway!

:D

When I say "my" I may actually mean Mary Berry's ;):P

175g plain flour
    175g butter
    75g caster sugar
    75g semolina
    zest of a lemon

Mix it all in a processor, then bring the dough together, roll into a thickish log and roll in demerera sugar so that it's coated. This is best done by using a little lemon juice to make the log sticky, and using cling film with the sugar sprinkled on it to roll it up.

Stick the package in the freezer for 20-30 minutes and then slice the dough into rounds about 1cm thick. Bake at 180 for about 15-20 mins.

So crunchy and delicious!

:D

When I say "my" I may actually mean Mary Berry's ;):P

175g plain flour
    175g butter
    75g caster sugar
    75g semolina
    zest of a lemon

Mix it all in a processor, then bring the dough together, roll into a thickish log and roll in demerera sugar so that it's coated. This is best done by using a little lemon juice to make the log sticky, and using cling film with the sugar sprinkled on it to roll it up.

Stick the package in the freezer for 20-30 minutes and then slice the dough into rounds about 1cm thick. Bake at 180 for about 15-20 mins.

So crunchy and delicious!

Yum!! I guess you could add a drop of the lemon juice to the biscuit mix as well to get a bit of extra flavour?
    I might try these at the weekend, thank you :)

Yum!! I guess you could add a drop of the lemon juice to the biscuit mix as well to get a bit of extra flavour?
    I might try these at the weekend, thank you :)

You could, as long as you don't make the dough too wet, I'd say. I think more zest might even work better, as it's more concentrated.

What I do is usually mix icing sugar with lemon juice and drizzle that over the top when they're cooled, for extra tangy flavour. ;)

You could, as long as you don't make the dough too wet, I'd say. I think more zest might even work better, as it's more concentrated.

What I do is usually mix icing sugar with lemon juice and drizzle that over the top when they're cooled, for extra tangy flavour. ;)

These would be amazing with the lemon posset! .

Pretty much my method too, though I use polenta meal instead if semolina. The rich yellowy colour and little bit of nutty corn sweetness goes well..but goose/duck fat is essential and I give the parboiled spuds a good shake in the colander to rough up the outside before applying the polenta to maximise the little crispy bit potential :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Jessme

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Pretty much my method too, though I use polenta meal instead if semolina. The rich yellowy colour and little bit of nutty corn sweetness goes well..but goose/duck fat is essential and I give the parboiled spuds a good sake in the colander to rough up the outside before applying the polenta to maximise the little crispy bit potential :D

I have struck gold :-) I'm on roast potato duty this year and always do the usual parboil/shake/roast in boiling hot goosefat...but the addition of semolina or polenta sounds absolutely gorgeous. Thanks!

Oh my God guys feeling very out of my depth. What is semolina???

• Advertisement

Oh my God guys feeling very out of my depth. What is semolina???

A wheat product. It's used in many ways. Many years ago folks used to make semolina pudding out of it, by cooking it in milk until it got thick - basically a sweetened wheat porridge (if you were lucky, you got a tablespoon of jam to stir into it :P)

In roast potatoes, it is used to help form a coating which becomes crispy and crunchy during the roasting process.

Advertisement