Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know I've posted this before but if you actually read all of this, I don't think anyone would brine their turkey.
    (unless you know that, no matter what, you are going to overcook your bird)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

It just makes a lot of sense, really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I know I've posted this before but if you actually read all of this, I don't think anyone would brine their turkey.
    (unless you know that, no matter what, you are going to overcook your bird)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

It just makes a lot of sense, really.

I don't know about the science of it, and I wouldn't fancy turkey brined in salt water - but soaking it in buttermilk etc last year resulted in the most moist, tender and flavourfull turkey I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    No it was definitely a guy, so that's 2 big chefs that do it then!
    And if it's good enough for Nigella and Jamie... :)

Yeah, sure all these celebrity chefs overlap with their ideas don't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

shoutman wrote: »
    Will be doing the Turkey for the fourth year in a row this year. Thinking of following the lead of others on here and going with the Buttermilk brine.

We've expanded this year so will be cooking for 11 and will be cooking a full turkey as opposed to a crown.

Where would I be able to pick up a brining bag? Or am I better off buying a big bucket and lid - giving it a good clean and clearing out the fridge?

Turkey roasting bag won't leak and allows you to stuff it in the veg drawer of the fridge. I think it's far too warm at the moment to leave it outside of a fridge.

As opposed to cooking the whole turkey why not crown it and then bone the legs, stuff them with sausagemeat and roll them in bacon. Then wrap them in tin foil and tighten them to make two large sausages. Place in a large stock pot with stock and simmer for 45mins a kilo plus 30 minutes. Allow to cool (you can do this the day before). Before you want to serve, take off the tin foil and fry the sausage in butter until browned all over.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Turkey roasting bag won't leak and allows you to stuff it in the veg drawer of the fridge. I think it's far too warm at the moment to leave it outside of a fridge.

As opposed to cooking the whole turkey why not crown it and then bone the legs, stuff them with sausagemeat and roll them in bacon. Then wrap them in tin foil and tighten them to make two large sausages. Place in a large stock pot with stock and simmer for 45mins a kilo plus 30 minutes. Allow to cool (you can do this the day before). Before you want to serve, take off the tin foil and fry the sausage in butter until browned all over.

Good luck!

Oooh sounds nice!!!

• Advertisement

trixychic wrote: »
    Oooh sounds nice!!!

It is! :) One stuffed leg will serve 10+ slices. Save the other one in the freezer for a Sunday roast in January.

The biggest problem is getting rid of the sinews in the legs, slippery little f@ckers!

The biggest problem is getting rid of the sinews in the legs, slippery little f@ckers!

Oh I hate those blokes. I'm one of these ppl who will cut off half the chicken breast if I see some sinew in it.

This is where I get out the kitchen pliars.
    Still difficult to remove, though.

This is where I get out the kitchen pliars.
    Still difficult to remove, though.

Kitchen pliers? I had to dig down the bottom of the tool box to find our DIY pliers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I don't know about the science of it, and I wouldn't fancy turkey brined in salt water - but soaking it in buttermilk etc last year resulted in the most moist, tender and flavourfull turkey I've ever had.

With all due respect, by definition brining uses salt water.

• Advertisement

arian wrote: »
    With all due respect, by definition brining uses salt water.

Don't shoot the messenger. Blame the wee man from Kyaaviin!!!
    https://www.m.rte.ie/amp/744077 (if the link doesn't work Google Buttermilk Brined Turkey......

If you read the ingredients you'll see 3 tablespoons of salt. The buttermilk is a secondary process which some scientist will come along and explain later. Thanks for your input though......

Don't shoot the messenger. Blame the wee man from Kyaaviin!!!
    https://www.m.rte.ie/amp/744077 (if the link doesn't work Google Buttermilk Brined Turkey......

If you read the ingredients you'll see 3 tablespoons of salt. The buttermilk is a secondary process which some scientist will come along and explain later. Thanks for your input though......

I have marinated chicken thighs in yoghurt and it does change the texture, alright (in a good way).
    I guess buttermilk would do similar.

I'd imagine it's the acid at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Malari wrote: »
    :D

When I say "my" I may actually mean Mary Berry's ;):P

175g plain flour
    175g butter
    75g caster sugar
    75g semolina
    zest of a lemon

Mix it all in a processor, then bring the dough together, roll into a thickish log and roll in demerera sugar so that it's coated. This is best done by using a little lemon juice to make the log sticky, and using cling film with the sugar sprinkled on it to roll it up.

Stick the package in the freezer for 20-30 minutes and then slice the dough into rounds about 1cm thick. Bake at 180 for about 15-20 mins.

So crunchy and delicious!

Made these today, they are very morish!
    Iced half of them with icing made with lemon juice and left the others plain. I'll definitely make these to go with the lemon posset, thanks

Christmas Day arrived a couple of weeks sooner than expected in the Gloomster household. The in-laws came early!

A large turkey, once frozen but now loved, boned, crowned and brined, served on a platter.

836E0676-C868-4E4E-97C2-1A056F975430_zps9yjh1xyg.jpg

The Roast Beast was such good value and so tasty it will be eaten for the next week.....

9E039CB7-1B8B-4273-809F-6FDB3C31A57C_zpsyiapmpbl.jpg

Veg included:-

Roasties
    Cauliflower Cheese
    Mashed Carrots and Turnips
    Broccoli
    Pickled Cabbage (minus chilli)
    and Bussell Sprouts with Pancetta

All smothered in gravy.

This evening we brought out the cheeseboard with stinky, runny Brie, Stilton and Extra Mature Chedder, crackers and a 14 year old decantered port. In the background you'll notice the board game 'Game For Fame.' Highly recommended, tears of laughter for all ages.

5AA6E459-66A5-4B62-A92A-9BAE38ACCEAB_zpsgp2i2wna.jpg

All-in-all I highly recommend an early Christmas - no getting up at Stupid O'Clock this morning and kids are back in school tomorrow!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Great photos!

Long time no post for me on all things cooking. New Year's resolution will be to rekindle my mojo. Started Xmas 2016 prep yesterday....made my beef stock for the gravy. Kinda cheated....cooked a round of beef in red wine with a stock cube and some garlic. Saved back some of the juice, put in some more wine, another cube, carrots, onions, and some left over beef and cooked in the slow cooker for 5 hours. Left with the most amazing stock. That will go into the freezer this evening until the 23rd....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm only skimming this thread as I just don't have time to think about Xmas dinner yet, but:

What was involved here, DB? Was it just buttermilk or other things?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    I'm only skimming this thread as I just don't have time to think about Xmas dinner yet, but:

What was involved here, DB? Was it just buttermilk or other things?

There was buttermilk, lots of salt & pepper, a whole bulb of garlic, two sliced oranges and sprigs of rosemary. It was a lot easier than I thought and it sat in the fridge in a turkey roasting bag for two days (I took out the salad drawer).

The recipe is here: http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2013/1209/744077-buttermilk-brined-roast-crown-of-turkey/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pudding sorted a few weeks ago.

Got the chestnuts, thanks for the posts about those - going to try Jamie Oliver's stuffing recipe. Have done Bazmo's stuffing balls for a few years. Still 50/50 on brining the turkey, have done butter under the skin and bacon over it.

Intrigued by spiced beef because tHB never fails to mention it...it's like The Snowman, has to be on. :pac:

Bread sauce - think I saw this in a Darina book. Thanks for the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

After two year of visiting family and having turkey on Christmas Day, its back to our house this year and we are having goose. i am really looking forward to it.

I use a potato apple and onion stuffing from a Myrtle Allen recipe. There are only 5 of us and the youngest probably wont eat any of it, so gravy, roast spuds and a few of our favourite veg will be enough. Haven't decided on starters. Something fish based, I think.

We usually visit family and friends for a few hours in the day and get plenty of canapes and nibbles, which ends up being the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone recommend a good spiced beef recipe? Ive seen it mentioned on here many times over the years and always intended to make it. This is gonna be the year :)

• Advertisement

Guys again this is my first yr and we are having a Turkey crown. Apart from Turkey nuggets I've never cooked it.

Tips, methods etc welcome please.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good spiced beef recipe? Ive seen it mentioned on here many times over the years and always intended to make it. This is gonna be the year :)

I think you've probably left it a bit late to make your own in time for Christmas.
    Spiced beef is generally bought from a butcher, cooked and served cold. I don't know anyone who's made their own but if you find a recipe, it can be done. Takes a few weeks, though, as far as I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spiced beef recipes also call for saltpetre, which is very hard to buy on a casual basis as it's a component of gun powder, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

What are people's thoughts on turkey breast or a boned and rolled turkey? I love a turkey carvery so really want a turkey dinner but it's just me and my husband so it will be seriously downsized. I worry that the boned and rolled might be crap meat and the breast may be dry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

At a Christmas thing yesterday, the richness of dessert...eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

First timer here to cook the Christmas dinner so I have ordered the individual turkey ham and stuffing portions. Had a practice yesterday and the turkey was a bit dry. I thought I heard somewhere about putting a bowl of water in bottom of oven to make it a bit more moist. Anyone know anything about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

What are people's thoughts on turkey breast or a boned and rolled turkey? I love a turkey carvery so really want a turkey dinner but it's just me and my husband so it will be seriously downsized. I worry that the boned and rolled might be crap meat and the breast may be dry.

Get the individual portions. Mine are coming in trays of 6.

• Advertisement

First timer here to cook the Christmas dinner so I have ordered the individual turkey ham and stuffing portions. Had a practice yesterday and the turkey was a bit dry. I thought I heard somewhere about putting a bowl of water in bottom of oven to make it a bit more moist. Anyone know anything about that?

If Turkey is dry it is because it is overcooked.
    It really is that simple.

Advertisement