Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Malari wrote: »
    Ah! The one I have was just from the baking aisle (I was originally using it for baking) of the supermarket and there was only one option. Didn't even think it would be in asian shops!

It's all the same just different sized grains....

Malari wrote: »
    Ah! The one I have was just from the baking aisle (I was originally using it for baking) of the supermarket and there was only one option. Didn't even think it would be in asian shops!

It's all the same just different sized grains....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I did not know that semolina had a few different uses, this is interesting, would love to know more

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

jrby wrote: »
    any suggestions as to how to serve spiced beef?
    I don't mean to over-simplify things, but if it is warm I generally just have it on its own (by the fistful :)) or maybe with pickled onions or gherkins on the side.
    I also make sambos with it, maybe with mustard & sauerkraut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How much spiced beef would be enough* for 4 people?

*I realise 'enough' might not be in your vocabulary on this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Totally depends on how much you love it!
    I got some today for €28 I'm not sure exact weight but it looks big enough for a slice each for 10 people x 2 days and with the turkey, ham and all the trimmings enough for a few sandwiches too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Whoop Christmaaaaaaaas!!!! :D:D

5 adults for dinner. Two having prawn cocktail because it's my Dads most favourite starter ever and it wouldn't be Christmas without it. The other three are having smoked salmon terrines http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/individual-smoked-salmon-terrines/ because they are sick of prawns!! Melba toast too!

Mains are traditional Turkey and Ham with herby stuffing. I'll cook the ham the night before and glaze with honey and mustard the next day. Think I'll do some hassleback potatoes in duck fat just to get away from the traditional roastie. Veg will be carrots and sprouts.

Dessert will be Aldi pudding (I love it, it's so good!) and home made brandy butter. I'm going to make a Tiramisu too for the people who don't like pudding - philistines!

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Savoiardi biscuits anywhere. Lidl used to have them but I was in two stores today (Celbridge and Ballyfermot) and no sign. Does anyone know if any of the multiples carry them? It's not a great week to be scouting around for stuff so if anyone has seen them then I'd appreciate the heads up.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Toulouse wrote: »
    Speaking of which, has anyone seen Savoiardi biscuits anywhere. Lidl used to have them but I was in two stores today (Celbridge and Ballyfermot) and no sign. Does anyone know if any of the multiples carry them? It's not a great week to be scouting around for stuff so if anyone has seen them then I'd appreciate the heads up.

Aldi had sponge fingers in their biscuit section last week......

2 cows worth. :p

To be honest - I don't know. Depends on how you are serving it. I'very never had it as a meal. I get 2lbs for myself & just pick away at it over a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Aldi had sponge fingers in their biscuit section last week......

Lidl also have them. In Bray anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

2 cows worth. :p

To be honest - I don't know. Depends on how you are serving it. I'very never had it as a meal. I get 2lbs for myself & just pick away at it over a few days.

Man vs beef :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My brother is the only one who eats spiced beef in our family so his wife will get a little bit for him :) We have the turkey and ham and then.....the tail end of corned beef....soooooo good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Roughly speaking how long could one expect a fresh turkey to keep well in the fridge before cooking.. 2 days max?

I am asking for a... *friend* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just being told I've got to cook a 10kg Turkey.

That's going to take ages right? Might smoke it on the bbq to start

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Roughly speaking how long could one expect a fresh turkey to keep well in the fridge before cooking.. 2 days max?

I am asking for a... *friend* ;)

It obviously depends when it was killed, but 7 -10 days isn't unreasonable, and a few days "hanging" should improve the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

RasTa wrote: »
    Just being told I've got to cook a 10kg Turkey.

That's going to take ages right? Might smoke it on the bbq to start
    20 minutes per lb and 20 mins over.
    I'm cooking a turkey roughly the same size( 22lb) and will be doing it for 8 hours at 180 oC with the last hour uncovered to brown it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

now online wrote: »
    20 minutes per lb and 20 mins over.
    I'm cooking a turkey roughly the same size( 22lb) and will be doing it for 8 hours at 180 oC with the last hour uncovered to brown it

Doing it for the mother, there is no way it's 10kg as when I asked how much she said €35 so 10lb maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Anyone recommend a nice cranberry sauce? And where would I get a stuffed Turkey crown for two people. TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gonna do this for the glaze for my Christmas ham.....mmmm.....hope it works out!

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2011/1007/745788-honey-and-lakeshore-mustard-glazed-ham/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Anyone try the stuffed crown in Dunnes deluxe range. It's 40 euro and looks pretty big and rich as it's got the apricot stuffing and bacon already with it. I don't know is it too much for a few people? I did have the Lidl one before and it was nice enough but smaller. I'm not sure what to do, the Lidl one is 30 I think.

Buttermilk has nearly run out in Aldi East Wall - the word is obviously spreading!!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There was no buttermilk at all in Aldi in Swords but I managed to get some in good old JC's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Anyone recommend a nice cranberry sauce? And where would I get a stuffed Turkey crown for two people. TIA.

Put 6oz of cranberries in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons of water and half a cinnamon stick (optional) and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes until the cranberries soften and pop. Remove the cinnamon stick. Stir in 3oz of sugar, a tablespoon of orange juice and a dash of port (optional) and leave to cool. Store in a glass jar in the fridge. It keeps for weeks so you can make it in advance.

Put 6oz of cranberries in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons of water and half a cinnamon stick (optional) and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes until the cranberries soften and pop. Remove the cinnamon stick. Stir in 3oz of sugar, a tablespoon of orange juice and a dash of port (optional) and leave to cool. Store in a glass jar in the fridge. It keeps for weeks so you can make it in advance.
    Mrs B does something similar, but replaces the water with my good ruby port. :(/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Mrs B does something similar, but replaces the water with my good ruby port. :(/:)

:) Love it! My mam (who doesn't drink) memorably one year poured a generous helping of Midleton Very Rare whiskey over the Christmas pudding... it was fantastic in fairness but not a use you'd generally be recommending it for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Myself and the brother are doing the dinner this year and we're working with a boned and rolled turkey (I know, I know, I wasn't in charge of procurement). I'm finding conflicting answers when trying to work out the cooking time for it. Some places say 35mins/450g + 35mins @ 180c and others say 15mins/450g + 20 or 30mins @ 220c -> 200c.

Anyone here any advice? Ours is 4.8Kg.

I've never cooked a boned and rolled turkey, but according to the Safefood website: http://www.safefood.eu/christmas/ask_safefood.html
    Q: I have a boned and rolled turkey joint – Do I need to give this more or less time to cook?
    A: For turkey that has been boned and rolled, you should follow the instructions on the label for those joints that are pre-packed.

If your butcher is preparing the joint for you, ensure that you know the weight of the joint when you are buying it. Turkey that is boned and rolled should be cooked for 35 minutes per 450 grams (1 pound) plus 35 extra minutes at 180°C / 350oF / Gas Mark 4 or 5.

Remember to check that the boned and rolled joint is cooked at the end of the cooking period by ensuring it is piping hot all the way through, there is no pink meat left and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the joint is pierced with a skewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I've never cooked a boned and rolled turkey, but according to the Safefood website: http://www.safefood.eu/christmas/ask_safefood.html
    Yeah, that's one of the ones I found.

• Advertisement

I'd go with what they recommend, but if you're afraid it will be too long in the oven get yourself a meat thermometer and check the inner temperature of the turkey at its thickest part when you think it might be ready. It's the best way to know for sure.

Advertisement