Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy to use box for the parents

Options
  • 25-11-2016 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi All

My folks Amiko box is old and giving way. Wont record anymore to USB despite reimaging the os, trying different HD etc. It was an 8300 I think. Or 8900. Bog standard model, pretty easy for them to navigate.

So now I'm santa and trying to source something similar. Needs to be able to do the usual sky stuff and basic recording. Not too concerned with 7 or better day EPG as it never works well anyways. Just that they can set something to record and walk away with ease.

I was looking at the mini HD SE box its on sale in sat world but a mate has one and wasnt too impressed with the record feature.

Anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

pugleon wrote: »
    Hi All

My folks Amiko box is old and giving way. Wont record anymore to USB despite reimaging the os, trying different HD etc. It was an 8300 I think. Or 8900. Bog standard model, pretty easy for them to navigate.

So now I'm santa and trying to source something similar. Needs to be able to do the usual sky stuff and basic recording. Not too concerned with 7 or better day EPG as it never works well anyways. Just that they can set something to record and walk away with ease.

I was looking at the mini HD SE box its on sale in sat world but a mate has one and wasnt too impressed with the record feature.

Anyone recommend one?

The Amiko Se has two usb slots on it one for adding a wifi dongle if you want youtube on it etc. It is quite basic in operation but for recording its only got a now and next guide on it so recording is quite basic. Picture quality is excellent on Hdmi from them. It also has a rgb for older sets.

Spend a little more and invest on an enigma based box with a built in Hard drive and you will get a 7 day guide which can be used for series link recording, you can also get a box with a dual tuner which will allow you record something and watch something else...or add a terrestrial tuner and you can record the rtes as well all on the one box...examples of these is

vu duo2 most expensive
    Gigablue Quad
    or many other examples such as the zgemma. there are lots more on plenty of chat on the board so do your research

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I guess 7 day epg isnt a requirement. I should probably have said as well my budget. I'm hoping for something sub 120 quid. I was also thinking alien 2. But they had that before and its too complicated and less bullet proof. Too many crashes even the latest firmware. Just want something basic, and easily navigated. Parent proof :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I guess 7 day epg isnt a requirement. I should probably have said as well my budget. I'm hoping for something sub 120 quid. I was also thinking alien 2. But they had that before and its too complicated and less bullet proof. Too many crashes even the latest firmware. Just want something basic, and easily navigated. Parent proof :P

There are images available for the alien2 that are stable now.....was crap in the early days but there slow when compared to newer boxes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

TRIAX TSC114

is a good no frills STB with nice size remote, it puts saorview and satellite channels all on one list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭dubrov

Do they have a tv with a saorview tuner?

If they do, just add a freesat box.

You would have to switch the input to switch between Irish and UK channels but it should be completely reliable and fit your budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

I know of two households with older people which are using Vu+Zeros running OpenVix succesfully. The Vu+ boxes tend to be a
    bit more expensive but have the advantage of stable firmware. The boot up time on the Zero is v good and they also have a IR extender - useful for hiding away the box. You would need to purchase an add-on USB DVB-T dongle for Saorview - secondhand Sony PlayTV modules on ebay are good.

A 7 day EPG is hugely beneficial in a satellite receiver. Even if you never use the record feature, being able to see what's on at any one time across all channels is a big plus, instead of having to scroll through each channel to find out. Any box running OpenVix can quickly pull down the 7 day Freesat EPG in the background without the need of any intervention by the viewer.

Lastly, a number of people are finding the Edision OS Mini very good (and good price too). I have no experience of these, but thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057598113

Thanks Apogee that's some great information I'll checkout the Edision. VU+ way out of my price range sadly. 

Also needs to be able to do a c line which I'm pretty sure the TRIAX boxes dont support. But thanks looks like a good option for FTA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

id just reflash your 8900 on spark or enigma 2 , should work fine

The usb port on it is busted so they cant record. Dont want to add a NAS into the equation as they'll only switch it off and wonder why its not working lol....So stuck with the buying a satbox option, keeping the 8900 as a spare for myself. joys! :) 

I'm pretty keen on both the edision mini and wetek play 2 just need to see will they work with the parents line,

The usb port on it is busted so they cant record. Dont want to add a NAS into the equation as they'll only switch it off and wonder why its not working lol....So stuck with the buying a satbox option, keeping the 8900 as a spare for myself. joys! :)

I'm pretty keen on both the edision mini and wetek play 2 just need to see will they work with the parents line,

they will work its just a matter of transferring them or getting new ones
    anyway

i set 8900 up on spark for some friends and family , try if the usb works on spark as it may be driver issue on enigma 2

• Advertisement

Sorry I mean the physical USB port is busted up/bashed in, they damaged it moving the tv stand one day. And it dead :P They're currently running spark as the enigma image i had  on it crashed a lot. I tried a USB volt meter completely dead port. Will do me as a spare for the kitchen though so happy days. Trying to find if a box supports clines now then make a decision

Sorry I mean the physical USB port is busted up/bashed in, they damaged it moving the tv stand one day. And it dead :P They're currently running spark as the enigma image i had  on it crashed a lot. I tried a USB volt meter completely dead port. Will do me as a spare for the kitchen though so happy days. Trying to find if a box supports clines now then make a decision

any of the linux networking box do its just dependent on how its set up

i have bought and advised people to buy the same box as then your channels lists or set ups / images are easily transferable . and saves a lot of set up .

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

The amico alien 2 from TV trade dot ie seems like a neat set

http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-alien-2/

as they now use spark as i do , you might wana get a simular box . there is a spark thread for amikos in terestrial menu

Another alien 2 is an option alright. It's what I use myself so maybe better to support. Problem is its a pain in the neck even on spark. If your cline changes or anything changes its usually an winscp onto the device and modifying files. The web gui is crappy and bug prone even the newer spark.
    But I might just have to suck it up though. Good price too!. Anyone with a weetek 2 tried a cline on it? Does it support one?

Another alien 2 is an option alright. It's what I use myself so maybe better to support. Problem is its a pain in the neck even on spark. If your cline changes or anything changes its usually an winscp onto the device and modifying files. The web gui is crappy and bug prone even the newer spark.
    But I might just have to suck it up though. Good price too!. Anyone with a weetek 2 tried a cline on it? Does it support one?

that would help same channel list etc - spark is stable . i do channel list updates etc on the topic . any minor issues a reboot normally sorts out

Decided to go with another alien 2. Keeps things simple. The wetek play 2 is a bit over complicated for them.

.... does anyone know a good forum to get the latest spark image and channel lists. Even in private message if its not permitted in the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

the channel list i have up is a bit old , but not much has changed i may load a new one next week

Advertisement