Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canoe or kayak for shooting

• 25-11-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hi guys can anybody help. I would be interested in buying a canoe or kayak for duck shooting in winter and general purpose in summer. Does anyone recommend a particular type or have any information on them. Would be used in the Shannon.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I use a SOT for fishing but I'm going to give the ducks a go in the next few days when I get some time off. I'll let you know how I get on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I use a SOT for fishing but I'm going to give the ducks a go in the next few days when I get some time off. I'll let you know how I get on :-)

How did you get on

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    How did you get on
    I only managed to get out for a few hours around the end of January. It was a very calm and quiet day and the ducks saw/heard me coming from a mile away. I wear a bright yellow dry suit :)

It was brilliant though, as I was able to paddle in behind the reed beds close to the shoreline in 6-12" of water and put plenty of ducks up in small groups but just not close enough for a shot. I did manage to knock a nice Drake but not having a dog, I didn't pick him up. He fell on the shore line but no sign of him when I searched.

You're also very restricted in where you can swing the gun in case of capsize and the life jacket doesn't help. I put up three mallard in shooting range along the shore but they were slightly behind me and there was no way I could swing the gun back at them.

I will try it again next season because it's ideal for sneaking up on them. It also gets you into spots that would be inaccessible from land or a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 6860nicholas

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Hi guys can anybody help. I would be interested in buying a canoe or kayak for duck shooting in winter and general purpose in summer. Does anyone recommend a particular type or have any information on them. Would be used in the Shannon.

Hi there i do all my shooting from a nucanoe frontier 12 sit on top with 360 swivel seat takes a bit of getting used to but best fun and experience i ever had in over 30 years hunting
    With regards to loseing tge mallard you shot even though you have the canoe or kayak you still need a dog, i yrsined my dog from a pup to sit on the canoe so hes used to it i had an okder spaniel and he always looked nervous on it.
    With regard to the ducks getting up wild it just takes practice to be quieter and you get to know the kinda places to be extra alert!! I also hunt the upper shannon area and lakes in that region.
    Just a word of caution i had a canadian open canoe first 2 seasons hunting and fell out twice! Then got tarpon 120 fell out of that also!! Spent the money and time getting this current canoe and so far stayed dry last 3 years!! Im not a fantastic canoer/kayaker self taught really but my best advice is if its blowing hard out, go to the pub instead

Advertisement