Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best game for a beginner

Options
  • 25-11-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi , as title suggests , I'm thinking of getting a game for myself , a one player shoot em game. I am getting a PS4 for the kids at Xmas . Can anybody give me ideas of a great game to play that's not too difficult. As I said I never played PS4 before ! Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The Last of Us is beyond great if you're insistent on one player only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I recommend Doom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Both of the above are great options.
    TLOU has a great story with some crafting.
    Doom is more traditional and you can change difficulty at any time.

Another solo player to consider is the Uncharted compilation, 3 games in one. Good story mixed gameplay and available for around 30 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 monsterhunter

nix wrote: »
    I recommend Doom :pac:

Saw it for €18.99 in Argos today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Saw it for €18.99 in Argos today!

Bargin!

It's great, you can just load it up and take your day out on it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Thanks for the replies. One last question, I saw that FIFA 17 was free for this weekend only on a trial so I told the young lad to check it out .... one hour later I get an email saying thank you for your purchase of FIFA 17, 64.99 !!! Arrrjhh , is there anything I can do to reverse this or is it hard luck !! Can I transfer it to the new PS4 at Xmas or is it stuck with the PS3 with no way to return the game. I'm livid but I can't really blame him .... this is the last thing I need a month before Christmas

I don't think so.
    But you can unhook your payment details and even add in the 2 step verification (actually do that anyway... too many cases of funds disappearing on folk).
    Beyond that - it could be viewed as a nice early Christmas present, especially as it was cheaper elsewhere today.

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Patrick To The Future

I'm afraid you're stuck with FIFA 17 on the PS3, that is an unfair thing to happen. You can't transfer the games over to the PS4 either, if there is a good shooter to get though I couldn't recommend Fallout 4 enough, and currently it's going for €35 in CEX. Loads of play time in it as well I got over 230 hours out the main game alone without the DLCs

I'm afraid you're stuck with FIFA 17 on the PS3, that is an unfair thing to happen. You can't transfer the games over to the PS4 either, if there is a good shooter to get though I couldn't recommend Fallout 4 enough, and currently it's going for €35 in CEX. Loads of play time in it as well I got over 230 hours out the main game alone without the DLCs

19.99 in argos for Fallout 4 at the minute.

19.99 in argos for Fallout 4 at the minute.

That's an absolute steal for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd skip Fallout 4. It's kind of pants. Much better suggestions here.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd skip Fallout 4. It's kind of pants. Much better suggestions here.

Skipping it is your choice but is 100% not pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Skipping it is your choice but is 100% not pants.

It's about 90% pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Just to play devil's advocate; maybe consider getting an XBox? The best multiplayer I've ever had the pleasure of engaging in has got to be Halo. There are so many scenarios, so many characters to be... Not to mention the very well-done exposition which almost makes you feel OK about slaughtering Covenant forces.

The first time I played it, I was like "this has a very "Cowboys and Indians" vibe, why do these dudes deserve to die? Then my housemate played the first mission with me and I basically said "Right, so what's the most efficient way of exterminating this pest???"

Harmless fun at the expense of the entitled natives. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hi, thanks for all the replays. Xbox isn't an option as I already bought the PS4 ( with Fifa 17) ... arrrggggg

I'm really gutted but looks like there's not much I can do about it. I did delete my card details from the play store .. thanks , are any of the games mentioned set in the future as I don't think I'd be too interested in futuristic stuff

TLOU - alternate present after a plague of sorts
    Doom - yup on mars
    Uncharted Series - present day
    Fallout - slightly in the future after a nuclear war

If you got the PS4 with Fifa and its a physical copy then you can trade it in, may not get much but better than having two and might help towards one of the others

There really isn't much difference between PS4 and Xbox One, when you actually drill down into it. I have a PS4 and I love it. There are amazing games for both consoles and, let's face it, exclusive releases for consoles are not really a thing any more.. At least nowhere near as they used to be.

Look into getting Doom, the Far Cry series (though I think #4 is the only one on this current gen?), Deus Ex is good fun.

Forgot about Farcry.
    4 is set present day.
    Primal is set in stone age

Both open world loads of side quests. Both brilliant. Playing primal right now and love the nonsense from Urki the resident genius...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In relation to your FIFA 17 as it was on trial for the weekend and that what you meant to happen maybe a quick email to playstation could be something you do. Now how you explain it to your child is up to you. I agree with everyone about the card. A friend of mine got stung for 200 due to kids and other stuff and got his money back. That was XBOX though

Taltos wrote: »
    Forgot about Farcry.
    4 is set present day.
    Primal is set in stone age

Both open world loads of side quests. Both brilliant. Playing primal right now and love the nonsense from Urkel the resident genius...

Forgot about Primal! Is it actually any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

hawkelady wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for all the replays. Xbox isn't an option as I already bought the PS4 ( with Fifa 17) ... arrrggggg

I'm really gutted but looks like there's not much I can do about it. I did delete my card details from the play store .. thanks , are any of the games mentioned set in the future as I don't think I'd be too interested in futuristic stuff

TLOU - alternate present after a plague of sorts
    Doom - yup on mars
    Uncharted Series - present day
    Fallout - slightly in the future after a nuclear war

All of the above games are fairly essential.with TLOU top of the list IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

"Battlefield 1" has a good single player campaign . good starting point for getting into online gaming aswell

Forgot about Primal! Is it actually any good?

I'm loving it. Absolutely brilliant, learning to craft, tame animals and learning how to speak stone-age. Some great humour and some great stealth kills. Definitely worth a shot but if you like to complete side quests be prepared to lose alot of time on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

FIFA 17 is set in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Dark Souls is a nice introduction to easy gaming....

Patser wrote: »
    Dark Souls is a nice introduction to easy gaming....

Brilliant series but for a newbie either they'll love it or it will put them off gaming for life. Not easy by any stretch and not a FPSr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Brilliant series but for a newbie either they'll love it or it will put them off gaming for life. Not easy by any stretch and not a FPSr

Ssshhhhhh! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'm loving it. Absolutely brilliant, learning to craft, tame animals and learning how to speak stone-age. Some great humour and some great stealth kills. Definitely worth a shot but if you like to complete side quests be prepared to lose alot of time on this...

I got this on the cheap this weekend and am loving it. It's a real time sink, and not all that challenging. It's beautiful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No Wolfenstein?

Wolfenstein The Old Blood and The New Order (May have gotten mixed up) are held as solid FPS games.

Metro 2033 and Last Light are very good as well, set in the year 2033 during a Nuclear Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

No Wolfenstein?

Wolfenstein The Old Blood and The New Order (May have gotten mixed up) are held as solid FPS games.

Metro 2033 and Last Light are very good as well, set in the year 2033 during a Nuclear Winter.

Wolfenstein: The New Order would get my vote. Absolute quality FPS with a great B Movie story to boot. Playing through Half Life 2 and it's giving me a real hankering to go and play The New Order again.

Advertisement