Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To buy or not? - ASUS X556UA 15.6 inch Notebook Intel i7

• 25-11-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Looking at this notebook for my teenager.
    ASUS X556UA 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i7-6500, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, integrated Intel 520 hd graphics card.

Would this be any good for gaming? Mostly minecraft and making YouTube videos.

Many thanks for replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Minecraft yes, 'proper' gaming (Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc) it's far too slow. I know you mentioned Minecraft specifically, but you know what kids can be like - one second it's the ideal PC, the next they're telling you it's too slow.

But if those are genuinely as much as it will be used for, it will be fine. However it's probably possible to get a better balanced laptop elsewhere with a weaker processor but stronger graphics card for the same money - how much are you looking to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

Willing to spend about €500

If you're getting that laptop for €500, I'd just take it, you won't get anything faster from a gaming perspective for that money, and it's actually a pretty powerful laptop at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

Any thoughts on this one?

HP 15.6inch AMD A10,8gb, 2tb Laptop

AMD A10 7th Gen AMD A10-9600P quad core processor

2.4GHz processor speed

AMD Radeon HDAMD Radeon™ R5 graphics graphics card.

€539

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

LoadofCROC wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this one?

HP 15.6inch AMD A10,8gb, 2tb Laptop

AMD A10 7th Gen AMD A10-9600P quad core processor

2.4GHz processor speed

AMD Radeon HDAMD Radeon™ R5 graphics graphics card.

€539

HAve you links to these laptops please

• Advertisement

Be grand for Minecraft but again, no use for the latest games (as in, will not be able to run games like Battlefield/Call of Duty even at lowest settings). You won't get a laptop for that money that will be. But for general use, it's perfectly fine, though if that i7 laptop you first mentioned is available around the €500 mark new, it's a better machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

I bought laptop 2 days ago - my original budget was also ~500, but quickly realized that for this price I won't get any "gaming machine". I did spend lot of time reviewing Intel 520hd cards and figured out from benchmarks, that indeed it is good for videos, etc, but almost none of modern games will run on it.
    So as I don't won't hear my son complaining, that his new laptop is piece of s#### I added extra 200 and bought this
    http://www.komplett.ie/lenovo-ideapad-700-15isk-80ru008pmh/20804801/details.aspx - it still won't play some games in high settings, but in medium it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd have a look on Amazon tomorrow. For the price point 600 to 700 for gaming MSI is where I'd be looking.

Tomorrow is sale day for technology

Advertisement