Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk IVs Dublin-Cork

• 25-11-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭

Is the any way to figure out which services are run by MkIV trains on the Dublin-Cork timetable? Trying to avoid them if possible, find them incredibly bumpy and difficult to work on.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

fitzgese wrote: »
    Is the any way to figure out which services are run by MkIV trains on the Dublin-Cork timetable? Trying to avoid them if possible, find them incredibly bumpy and difficult to work on.

Thanks.

Website showing following as ICR operated:

Ex Heuston
    10.00 - Mon-Sat
    12.00 - Mon-Fri
    14.00 - Mon-Sat
    16.00 - Sat
    18.00 - Sun
    21.00 - Mon-Fri & Sun

Ex Cork
    13.20 - Mon-Sat
    15.20 - Mon-Fri
    17.20 - Mon-Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I thought they were all mIv??

Do the Cork ICRs have a first class section?

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I thought they were all mIv??

ICR's have been operating for years for a range of reasons.

10.00, 12,00, 14.00 and 13.20, 14.20 and 15.20 do, other's don't however suspect 16.00 on Saturday will have also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

What website? Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

No.

Some have premium accommodation, which is standard class seating with a few gimmicks. Basically a fraud first.

The three car and four car sets are all standard only, and no catering car, just trolley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

tabbey wrote: »
    No.

Some have premium accommodation, which is standard class seating with a few gimmicks. Basically a fraud first.

The three car and four car sets are all standard only, and no catering car, just trolley.

What does an ICR catering car look like internally - pics or a link please. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Ex Heuston
    10.00 - Mon-Sat
    12.00 - Mon-Fri
    14.00 - Mon-Sat
    16.00 - Sat
    18.00 - Sun
    21.00 - Mon-Fri & Sun

Ex Cork
    13.20 - Mon-Sat
    15.20 - Mon-Fri
    17.20 - Mon-Sat

I wouldn't take these times as gospel, the 17.20 service is the MK IV quite often from what I've seen - I'd say it could be a case of IÉ running whatever is in the depot :P .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

tabbey wrote: »
    No.

I got a four car one from Dublin last year. The train was nearly in Buttavent before thr trolly got around to us.:(

Thanks I was wondering if the "first class" were on these routes
    Del.Monte wrote: »

I'll post one next time I'm on one I'll take a pic

Right behind the "first class" rightly described as fraud class above, there's a counter with fridges etc behind it v similar to the one on enterprise except without its own seating
    It's only actually opened on longer routes you will occasionally see one used on shorter routes with shutters down

I've never seen an ICR first class operated AS first class outside when it replaced the Belfast route, usually it's free for all but people see leather seats and lamps and think it's reserved so there's usually lots of space

Thanks I was wondering if the "first class" were on these routes

I'll post one next time I'm on one I'll take a pic

Right behind the "first class" rightly described as fraud class above, there's a counter with fridges etc behind it v similar to the one on enterprise except without its own seating
    It's only actually opened on longer routes you will occasionally see one used on shorter routes with shutters down

I've never seen an ICR first class operated AS first class outside when it replaced the Belfast route, usually it's free for all but people see leather seats and lamps and think it's reserved so there's usually lots of space

Its a free for all on all services as tickets are not sold apart from above Cork and direct Tralee sercices.

Google for pics or look at photo posts as I think The Wanderer Photos had one recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Still can't find one. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Still can't find one.

i doubt you're missing much anyway. bottom of the barrel and providing bottom of the barrel at a ridiculously high price. and no doubt the poor lads working only getting a pittence of a wage as well.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Still can't find one. :(

The first on left is only one I have of premium ICR
    Compare it to the Enterprise first class (middle) and MIV first class (right)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm regularly on the 10:00 Dublin-Cork on Mondays. It's always an ICR.

Regardless of what the timetable says, you can't buy first class tickets for this service. Very often (but not always) the set used will include a first class carriage and I reserve my seat in carriage A when booking so I'm in the first class carriage if there is one.

Quackster wrote: »
    I'm regularly on the 10:00 Dublin-Cork on Mondays. It's always an ICR.

Regardless of what the timetable says, you can't buy first class tickets for this service. Very often (but not always) the set used will include a first class carriage and I reserve my seat in carriage A when booking so I'm in the first class carriage if there is one.

First class sets only started last week (as scheduled), first class tickets will be available over the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

First class sets only started last week (as scheduled), first class tickets will be available over the coming weeks.

First class sets have been operating the 10:00 Monday service over the past several months I have been regularly using it, though not every single time.

Quackster wrote: »
    First class sets have been operating the 10:00 Monday service over the past several months I have been regularly using it, though not every single time.

The 10.00 has been operated by a mix day in day out for the last year (3,4,5,6 car sets). All I am saying is First Class "officially" will return in a few weeks. Once the IE booking system catches up. There is always a gap between a train change and it becoming bookable in JP because of the overlap with reservations been open as all standards before hand.

You can already see on the JP First Class now indicated on all but one Cork service daily. Will all be bookable soon.

Edit - Returns from Monday 2nd January on 10.00, 12.00 and 14.00 and return services ex Cork.

It's a disgrace to charge those Premier carriages at the same rate as the normal first class, as I've said here before, instead of wasting those carriages as they are atm they should put them on the longer routes like Galway and Westport and charge people to do an upgrade where it costs an extra €20 or something.

It's not worth 100-€120 just to get fake leather seats and a lamp

With the other first classes you get hot cooked meals in your seat, a different menu, free OJ, hot towels, free tea/coffee or refills, complementary newspapers...you get none of that on the ICR models

Advertisement