Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle woes

Options
  • 25-11-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have very bad discomfort on the saddle. I've tried 5 or 6 saddles now, ranging in quality from stock saddle, to well-rated Charge Spoon, to several Fizik shapes. I recently had very bad and constant inflammation from cycling. After several weeks, I went to pharmacist who gave me anti-fungal cream, which worked well. I took 2 weeks off the bike to allow the inflammation to clear up. I've been back on the bike twice now, for just an hour at a time, and the same tenderness and sensitivity has reoccurred.

Any ideas? Keep trying different saddles? I feel like I've tried a good variety of shapes and sizes. I have good padded shorts, good bike fit, good hygiene, etc. I'm wondering if this is some kind of dermatological issue, and if a trip to the doctor would be worthwhile. This is a very annoying position, as I do lots of cycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

Have you tried a brooks b17 saddle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

jamesd wrote: »
    Have you tried a brooks b17 saddle ?

i haven't, no. what's the deal--the saddle breaks in to fit you after a few rides?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, the leather eventually adapts to your shape and its very comfortable for long rides - hence favoured by most audax riders. It does take more than a few rides to break it in though - for me it was well over 1,000kms.

In saying that, it does sound like you have a greater underlying problem than with saddles alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Have you changed your saddle height/position or tried new shorts recently?

I have a pair of winter tights that 'rub me up the wrong way'!! I think... but then, I have a new winter bike, so I can't be absolutely sure my issues are with the tights alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

I tried my best to get along with a fizik ardea saddle, which seem to get great reviews, but found it too hard and wide.
    Currently use a selle Italia c2 with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You've tried different saddles and the problem is still there?

To me, that suggests that the problem may not be the saddle itself, but maybe saddle position?

Maybe your saddle is too high, or too low? Is your saddle level? Too far forward? Or too far back?

All the above can cause discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The B17 is very comfortable, after awhile!.. But I blistered and had to take a week or ten days out of the saddle to let it heal (during the break in period), so it may not be for you OP.

Plus they're heavy & expensive.

Have you tried different cycling pants?.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

nialljf wrote: »
    i haven't, no. what's the deal--the saddle breaks in to fit you after a few rides?
    I think its the other way around: your arse breaks in to fit the saddle. Having said that, I switched to B17 three weeks ago, and its been a joy from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know you said you had a bike fit dine but maybe try lowering your saddle 1cm and see how you get on. My saddle is 15mm lower than the saddle height recommended to me in a bike fit. I hated it and after several weeks input it back to where it was previously. I have no comfort or knee problems even on 4hr+ rides. Lowering your saddle will take some of the weight of your sit bones and may offer some relief on longer rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Are you using chamois cream before your spins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

nialljf wrote: »
    Any ideas? Keep trying different saddles? I feel like I've tried a good variety of shapes and sizes. I have good padded shorts, good bike fit, good hygiene, etc.

Are you using a chamois creme? Like Assos?

Aside from that, could you be allergic to the materials in the shorts?

Also, it does take some miles to toughen up down there, especially when you've been on haitus.

assoschamoiscream200.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Have you measured your sit bones to ensure your saddle width is correct? I was riding a 131mm Sella Italia and it was killing me. Gave up on that saddle and went into cycleways and they measured my sit bones, I should have been riding a 143mm. Got myself a 143mm specialized Romin and never notice the thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Have you had a bike fit done? No saddle will be right if your bike fit is off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Have you measured your sit bones to ensure your saddle width is correct? I was riding a 131mm Sella Italia and it was killing me. Gave up on that saddle and went into cycleways and they measured my sit bones, I should have been riding a 143mm. Got myself a 143mm specialized Romin and never notice the thing.
    how did they do that? getting your ass measured in a shop does not sound like a dignified procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

The long way around telling us you have a big ass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

how did they do that? getting your ass measured in a shop does not sound like a dignified procedure.

Ha, its all very discreet! You sit on a piece of foam which they use to check your measurements, very useful piece of into to know how fat/wide your ass is. Correct size make a huge difference. BTW I'm a medium, there is a 155mm!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You can do it at home by sitting on some tin foil.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Ha, its all very discreet! You sit on a piece of foam which they use to check your measurements, very useful piece of into to know how fat/wide your ass is. Correct size make a huge difference. BTW I'm a medium, there is a 155mm!
    ha!

Just for OPs benefit, it's a measure of the distance between your sit bones. It's a purely skeletal thing and has nothing to do with how wide/fat/muscular your arse is!

I'm surprised you've gone through so many saddles without the shop suggesting you get measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Brian? wrote: »
    Have you had a bike fit done? No saddle will be right if your bike fit is off.

+1

Have had the same trouble as OP and tried several saddles. Had a few bike fits and didn't make much difference. Lately, I got a Retul bike fit done with Shane Foley, based in CSS, and ended up getting a Selle SMP Lite 109 saddle. The difference in comfort is like night and day. Have only tested it a few times and no aches or numbness. It's not cheap but for me it was worth it as I'm now enjoying cycling again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's like when the tailor keeps cupping you as he measures you up, has to be done :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's like when the tailor keeps cupping you as he measures you up, has to be done :pac:
    "Yes, yes, it is - in prison!"

Advertisement